ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

2 from Founders tonight - Dirty Bastard and Breakfast Stout. 2 beers I would keep in my beer fridge at all times. Others that I would want to always have access to:

Bells Two Hearted
Three Floyd’s Zombie Dust
Wicked Weed’s Pernicious
West Sixth’s Pennyrile
Three Floyd’s Robert the Bruce (when not drinking Dirty Bastard)

Reactions: AustinTXCat
2 from Founders tonight - Dirty Bastard and Breakfast Stout. 2 beers I would keep in my beer fridge at all times. Others that I would want to always have access to:

Bells Two Hearted
Three Floyd’s Zombie Dust
Wicked Weed’s Pernicious
West Sixth’s Pennyrile
Three Floyd’s Robert the Bruce (when not drinking Dirty Bastard)
French Toast Bastard is a dang good beer in the Bastard series. Founders makes awesome beers. Their Mackinaw Fudge Stout is spectacular, IMO.

The best beer for me is the first beer I've had in 2 months. Had one served to me recently by a beautiful woman in red. Will remember that one for a while

Beer revenues are taking a beating and maybe why I'm buying this one at discount.
682180.jpg

Beer revenues are taking a beating and maybe why I'm buying this one at discount.
682180.jpg
I lost my palate for ipas a few years ago but I will drink this on occasion. It is just enough fruit forward to balance out that ipa bitterness. Dangerously good. I'll have a 16oz can of it here and there.

Reactions: jameslee32
I lost my palate for ipas a few years ago but I will drink this on occasion. It is just enough fruit forward to balance out that ipa bitterness. Dangerously good. I'll have a 16oz can of it here and there.
I can do bitter as well but 2 is usually my limit. Often my rule for any of these powerful beers without a DD anyway.

IPA was a fad people drank bc it was cool
Why are beer revenues declining? More people buying whiskey/bourbon/vodka/tequila?

IPA was a fad people drank bc it was cool
Why are beer revenues declining? More people buying whiskey/bourbon/vodka/tequila?
The Bud Light fiasco had a big hand in the revenues declining. I don't have numbers but I'd be willing to bet craft breweries not owned by Inbev is booming. Louisville has an emerging beer scene and has been growing steady for a while now. There was a time I drank the swill of the "big breweries" but I'd rather have options as well as a better tasting beer.

The Bud Light fiasco had a big hand in the revenues declining. I don't have numbers but I'd be willing to bet craft breweries not owned by Inbev is booming. Louisville has an emerging beer scene and has been growing steady for a while now. There was a time I drank the swill of the "big breweries" but I'd rather have options as well as a better tasting beer.
Breweries are starting to close in Cincy and nationwide from the people I follow. Consolidation is probably overdue I'd say in a high interest rate environment.

My favorite brewer in fact closed their flagship brewery, brewpub and restaurant location in OTR in November, Taft's. They put at least a million bucks into renovating an old church and refinancing that debt these days does not come cheap. Revenues were down as well. 😢

Breweries are starting to close in Cincy and nationwide from the people I follow. Consolidation is probably overdue I'd say in a high interest rate environment.

My favorite brewer in fact closed their flagship brewery, brewpub and restaurant location in OTR in November, Taft's. They put at least a million bucks into renovating an old church and refinancing that debt these days does not come cheap. Revenues were down as well. 😢
Not a good business environment now for sure. It's hard for folks to pay big bucks for a small pour of quality beer. I'm willing to do that but a lot aren't. The beers I like are going up that's for sure which is why I'm thinking of homebrewing but I'll still buy my faves like certain Founders, Bells, Three Floyds, and Southern Tier. I just love beer. A lot of great options out there today if you're willing to pay for it.

Not a good business environment now for sure. It's hard for folks to pay big bucks for a small pour of quality beer. I'm willing to do that but a lot aren't. The beers I like are going up that's for sure which is why I'm thinking of homebrewing but I'll still buy my faves like certain Founders, Bells, Three Floyds, and Southern Tier. I just love beer. A lot of great options out there today if you're willing to pay for it.
The $8 level I've been seeing lately is pricing people out of the tap room. For just one person, 2 beers and a burger with fries is putting it closer and closer to $30 long after most commodity prices have returned to normal. Wages aren't going down any time soon though.

Re the craft beer craze. It does seem like it's dying down.
If your intent is to just distribute and sell beer, well that is a tough nut to crack. Between shelf space, getting locked out of markets, etc., it better be good.
If your intent is to sell it alongside food in a bar/brewery fashion, well we know how hard it is for restaurants to make it. Throw in the overhead and start up costs for both and margins may be slim.
Cincinnati, for a real practical, maybe frugal, town, has way too many breweries.
Bourbon is next.

When's dinner? I can be there. I'm always early :)

Had Pliny on tap in Portland, years ago. It did not disappoint. Was gifted a bottle a few years back and it must have been bad. Not the same. Back in the day, when high gravity beers were few, it was easy to pine over such beers, but now every community has access to a lot of really good options. Still, when I am traveling, I scout out the local brews that are not available in my town.

Southern Tier had more of a presence in Louisville years back. Now, it seems only the 2XIPA is consistently on the shelf. I miss some of their stouts. I plan to travel up to NY later this year. Will be looking for those beers.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Enjoyed a heckuva beer excursion in Cologne (Köln), Germany on March 23 with former brother in-law and friends. Aside from Gaffel Kölsch and Sünner Kölsch, this trip I sampled Päffgen Kölsch and Peters Kölsch. Both the latter were meh.

Most impressive: Gaffel Wiess (wheat) at the brewpub near the Dom. Tangy. Slightly citrusy. Gorgeous cloud. One of few places on the planet where this beer is available from the keg. Delicious.

crop

Needless to say, we had one hell of an evening. I footed the bill for 33 Kölsch beers + 1 wheat bier + food just at Gaffel am Dom. But ya only live once.

432773635_10230427749858137_4122025179766038778_n.jpg

Still waiting to try Alchemist's Heady Topper so I can be pissed there was ever such a fuss over a beer.

Apparently it's going for $15/can in some places. I'd punch them in the dick if I wasn't marveling at what marketing geniuses they are.

Scoring 100 and 95 on the BA and bro.

Waited for years to try Heady Topper. Had one a couple of years ago. Must have been a bad can. Or, the beer scene has so improved that it just does not star like it once did.

Enjoyed a heckuva beer excursion in Cologne (Köln), Germany on March 23 with former brother in-law and friends. Aside from Gaffel Kölsch and Sünner Kölsch, this trip I sampled Päffgen Kölsch and Peters Kölsch. Both the latter were meh.

Most impressive: Gaffel Wiess (wheat) at the brewpub near the Dom. Tangy. Slightly citrusy. Gorgeous cloud. One of few places on the planet where this beer is available from the keg. Delicious.

crop

Needless to say, we had one hell of an evening. I footed the bill for 33 Kölsch beers + 1 wheat bier + food just at Gaffel am Dom. But ya only live once.

Just realized I need to drink with you!!!

Waited for years to try Heady Topper. Had one a couple of years ago. Must have been a bad can. Or, the beer scene has so improved that it just does not star like it once did.

I honestly think beers have improved so much that so long as I'm not drinking Bud Light or some of the more generic "craft beers".. it all tastes fine.

I've head Heady Topper since, Fidens, Tree House.. it's all great, but it's also not SO different than any other IPAs you can get on draft, even at your local Applebee's.

Last edited:
I honestly think beers have improved so much that so long as I'm not drinking Bud Light or some of the more generic "craft beers".. it all tastes fine.

I've head Heady Topper since, Fidens, Tree House.. it's all great, but it's also not NO different than any other IPAs you can get on draft, even at your local Applebee's.

When I responded to your post, I did not realize that I was taken to the OP, but thought it the most recent post.

There was a time back in the early days of the craft scene where I was chasing beers and waiting patiently for seasonals, trying to get to the store before they sold out. Double IPAs were commonplace in my fridge.

Now, I just make sure I have a good assortment of stouts and IPAs with an occasional ale thrown in. While I still will grab some Hopslam or Chill Wave or another double IPA, I won’t chase those beers.

The only beers I chase are Big Foot (because it’s my wife’s fav) and Red Chair, because I wish I could have it as a constant in my fridge.

Reactions: ManitouDan

crop

German Schwarzbier is a gift from God

Toppling Goliath Mornin Latte imperial coffee milk stout. New to me. Gets high marks. Has some chocolate notes that blend well with the coffee and smooth milk stout. Very drinkable stout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT