ADVERTISEMENT

Great article in SI on Pope

There is little doubt that Forde hated Cal more than he hated Kentucky. Not surprised he's taking some backhanded jabs at Cal here. I'm good with it.

Reactions: chroix
Not gonna claim some Fall allergies didn’t help but this part made me cry:

“You can hire somebody that’s going to go up there and you’re going to hand them a jersey and they’re going to do a photo shoot and throw [the jersey] in the corner,” Pope told Barnhart. “But when we do this press conference, I’m going to bring my own jersey, and it’s got blood and sweat and tears on it from the national championship season. And that’s the difference between me and anybody else for this job.”

Breakdown? I won't click SI
I feel you there, didn’t really want too. He talks about his time and why he came and his background with Mark Fox getting into coaching. Then returning the favor to Fox now. References his wife, kids, and his life at Kentucky and Med School. Decided he wasn’t fit to be a surgeon and really missed basketball. Talked about why he loved Pitino and how they both eat and breath work and getting better on the court. Basically a love letter to the university and fans in other parts.

Last edited:
Not gonna claim some Fall allergies didn’t help but this part made me cry:

“You can hire somebody that’s going to go up there and you’re going to hand them a jersey and they’re going to do a photo shoot and throw [the jersey] in the corner,” Pope told Barnhart. “But when we do this press conference, I’m going to bring my own jersey, and it’s got blood and sweat and tears on it from the national championship season. And that’s the difference between me and anybody else for this job.”
That was an amazing quote, what a way to sell yourself for the job.

• Love
Reactions: BlueSince92

Reposting this again because there has never been a better quote.

Had just copied the link to post. Really great summary of how the fans had grown weary of Cal and the passion Pope has for UK. Can’t wait for the season to start.

I will have to hand it to Forde, that was one of the best articles about Kentucky basketball that I have ever read. He described it perfectly of how we feel about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT