ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Has a 7 Foot 9 Inch Freshman Coming In

Olivier Rioux is a 7-foot plus center that takes up immense space on the floor but isn't the most fleet of foot. In short minutes, Rioux can come into a game to clog the paint, shield opponents away from the rim and be a serviceable rebounder. He does have pretty good hands and touch on the offensive side of the ball.

olivier-rioux-704x1024.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CatsDomain
All bigs need to be good at passing, catching, and shooting 1-2 footers. If they lose or bumble the ball too much, or clang the easy baskets, don't take them.

If a big guy has good hands, you can put muscle on them and teach them to play basketball.

If they are uncoordinated and don't have good hands, it won't matter how tall they are.

I had no idea haha that is wild.

The next Tacko Fall?

I saw him in the City of Palms tournament in December. IMG only played him a couple of "cigar minutes" in the games I saw. He is a huge wide body giant who is a couple of years away from "seeing the floor" in a college bb game. Very uncoordinated, hands of stone, and moves in slow motion. One hell of a project1

I've seen highlights of kid. Best of luck to him. In all seriousness, guys that live like that...life has to be hard. That is so ridiculously tall you need silly income to make it through everyday life just to modify how you live.

I noticed at Seaton Center that Pope had to slightly duck to walk through doorway to gym and I thought to myself that would suck to have to do that all of the time. Add 12" onto that. Poor guy probably hits his noggin on everything.

I've seen highlights of kid. Best of luck to him. In all seriousness, guys that live like that...life has to be hard. That is so ridiculously tall you need silly income to make it through everyday life just to modify how you live.

I noticed at Seaton Center that Pope had to slightly duck to walk through doorway to gym and I thought to myself that would suck to have to do that all of the time. Add 12" onto that. Poor guy probably hits his noggin on everything.

No it's very true. Imagine having to be on a flight to Europe for 10+ hours at 7 foot 9. Imagine getting into an Uber, trying to ride a rollercoaster, hell even riding a bike I bet would be nearly impossible.

So many things that we just do everyday would be so much harder if you were THAT large.

No it's very true. Imagine having to be on a flight to Europe for 10+ hours at 7 foot 9. Imagine getting into an Uber, trying to ride a rollercoaster, hell even riding a bike I bet would be nearly impossible.

So many things that we just do everyday would be so much harder if you were THAT large.
The “curious women,” might compensate some for the inconvenience

I saw him in the City of Palms tournament in December. IMG only played him a couple of "cigar minutes" in the games I saw. He is a huge wide body giant who is a couple of years away from "seeing the floor" in a college bb game. Very uncoordinated, hands of stone, and moves in slow motion. One hell of a project1

Idk why but I just imagined someone 7’9 with John Wall speed. It’s hard to picture what that would look like! 😂

Watched a documentary on him. Guinness declared him tallest teen in 2021, at 7’5. Can’t believe still growing!

Olivier Rioux is a 7-foot plus center that takes up immense space on the floor but isn't the most fleet of foot. In short minutes, Rioux can come into a game to clog the paint, shield opponents away from the rim and be a serviceable rebounder. He does have pretty good hands and touch on the offensive side of the ball.

olivier-rioux-704x1024.jpg
Excited Oh No GIF

We know now that Florida will be bringing the big Canadian to Rupp. Being a 3, not a 2 star, he must be doing something. Florida can just park him in front of the rim to take all easy baskets away. The good news, we only have to face him once as we will not be going to play basketball in Florida this season.

Not only that, but so many health issues. Heart, circulation, spine, of course the noggin.

I know others disagree but I did not enjoy watching Zach Edey play, and if this guy is any good - I doubt I'll enjoy watching him either.

The game isn't entertaining when your best skill is catching the ball, turning, and laying it in over someone half a foot shorter.

Reactions: CatsDomain
Big awkward looking kid but he likes basketball. Edey was a big awkward kid when he showed up at Purdue

Ehats were he should have gone. If he wants to get better. MYbe he want to join the circuss since they all winterr in Florida.. Fall ba k position, join Ringling Brothers

Exactly, you would have to customize everything.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’ve seen him play, slow isn’t the word. Look at that vertical, not like he needs it but still. He will get a dunk or two but I’d be surprised if he’s better than Shagari was for us.

Speaking of Shagari, I remember when we had him, it felt like such an anomaly to have such a tall 7'3+ type player. Nowadays it feels like there are a few in every conference. Off the top of my head, the 7'5 kid who transfered from WKU to Ole Miss. The 7'5 kid on Arkansas or Alabama a year or 2 ago. Obviously Clangan at 7'3 and Edey at 7'4. Take Fall a few years ago. 20 years ago, it felt like someone legit over 7'1 was a lot more rare let alone several inches beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT