ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite New Age, Folk or weird music?

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
I don't see too many threads like this on here, or anywhere really. Hopefully I'm not the ONLY oddball here. Here are some of my favorites:

Fever Ray (Sweden)
Royksopp (Norway)
FAK (First Aid Kit) (Sweden)
Bjork, her earlier stuff (Iceland)
Enigma (Germany)
Shinnobu (or Shinobu) (Costa Rica)
OK-GO

As you can see, I've pretty much never been into the "norm" of music here in the US. Anyone else like music that's 'different'?

Reactions: GeraldV and J_Dee
I love a whole bunch of Bjork's late 90's stuff. Unravel is one of the greatest songs ever written. I would have given my left pinky to have been at her Live at the Riverside Church show on HBO around 2000.

I also love Regina Spektor who would probably classify her music type as "weird." Soviet Kitsch might be my favorite album of all time, if I were forced to choose.

Love those, I'd add Yarn, The Devil Makes Three, The Red Clay Strays and recently Stephen Wilson Jr.
Was gonna throw The Red Clay Strays and Stephen in there but didn't really fit the indie/new age/ weird category that @NociHTTP said. But those two are at the top of my playlist and have been for a while.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Was gonna throw The Red Clay Strays and Stephen in there but didn't really fit the indie/new age/ weird category that @NociHTTP said. But those two are at the top of my playlist and have been for a while.
As long as it's not country, rap, hip-hop. Nothing wrong with those categories, just not my cup of tea. I also love folk music (FAK falls under that) and even bands like Greta Van Fleet and Porcupine Tree. I urge everyone to give a listen to the songs Anesthize and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. Those are some deep and possibly triggering lyrics. Gavin Harrison is just an absolute pleasure to listen to behind those drums.

Love those, I'd add Yarn, The Devil Makes Three, The Red Clay Strays and recently Stephen Wilson Jr.
I loved The Devil Makes Three ("In Hell I'll Be In Good Company"), thank you for sharing that. I got a kick out of both The Devil Makes Three and The Red Clay Strays being in the same sentence, hahahah. "Wanna Be Loved" is beautiful, I love his voice.

Reactions: BC_Wader
I love a whole bunch of Bjork's late 90's stuff. Unravel is one of the greatest songs ever written. I would have given my left pinky to have been at her Live at the Riverside Church show on HBO around 2000.

I also love Regina Spektor who would probably classify her music type as "weird." Soviet Kitsch might be my favorite album of all time, if I were forced to choose.
Thank you for introducing me to Regina! And thanks to everyone else in here for their suggestions. As long as I can, I'll be learning new music and experiencing all the old stuff I missed out on. I wouldn't call "Fidelity" weird at all. I love how she uses vocal aesthetics to express :)

My husband and I found her adorable in the NPR Music: Tiny Desk Concert. How can anyone not just love her?

Last edited:
Stephen Wilson Jr. grew up in the grunge scene a big Nirvana fan. Was a pretty accomplished songwriter before he decided to start singing himself. He tries to put a bit of the edge from that grunge music into his more country centric music.

Not sure how Greta Van Fleet qualifies as folk. They're alt rock to me with nods to old classic rock in their sound (thinking Led Zeppelin, Rush)

Yeppers. Good stuff. Give Stephen Wilson Jr a try. He's country but more alt country. He's great as are The Red Clay Strays.
I'm listening to one song from each artist. I didn't care for the song I heard from Stephen, but loved the one I heard from The Red Clay Strays.

Stephen Wilson Jr. grew up in the grunge scene a big Nirvana fan. Was a pretty accomplished songwriter before he decided to start singing himself. He tries to put a bit of the edge from that grunge music into his more country centric music.

Not sure how Greta Van Fleet qualifies as folk. They're alt rock to me with nods to old classic rock in their sound (thinking Led Zeppelin, Rush)
You are absolutely correct. I just didn't want to include a billion categories, and then went off on a wild goose chase for songs / bands I've been listening to lately :)

We saw him at Roostertail last Saturday. He did a heck of a cover of Something in the Way.

I can listen to almost any music minus R&B and pop music that is played on local radio stations. I can go from 90's rap to country with no problem. Grew up HUGE 90's alternative and still listen to Ch 34 on Sirius all the time. That being said, I have been listening alot to new alternative. Its channel 36 on Sirius. My wife cant stand it but my 11yr old daughter is getting into it.

Djo
Sam Fender
Portugal the Man
Future Islands

Also like channel 52, which is BPM. Its more electronic (which I swore I would never like in HS and college but there is some really good stuff out there.)

Redefined by tyDi featuring Melanie Fonta
All of you by Betty Who
Tiesto
Avicii

Ironic as I have been listening to him lately. Never gave him a second thought all these years. I've been missing out obviously. HECK of a guitar player.

Frank Zappa, along with Prince, were musical geniuses of the 20th century in my opinion.

Alice Cooper said that Zappa was one of the greatest guitar players of all time and on par with Hendrix and Clapton but no one viewed him that way which was probably because Zappa saw himself as a composer first and a musician second.

Frank Zappa, along with Prince, were musical geniuses of the 20th century in my opinion.

Alice Cooper said that Zappa was one of the greatest guitar players of all time and on par with Hendrix and Clapton but no one viewed him that way which was probably because Zappa saw himself as a composer first and a musician second.
Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart was a friend/enemy of Zappa. His album Trout Mask Replica was ahead of its time. Strange music for back then but I like it and still have the album.

I'm listening to one song from each artist. I didn't care for the song I heard from Stephen, but loved the one I heard from The Red Clay Strays.
Which song did you listen to from Stephen?

And a couple others to look up.
The Dead South
Marcus King listen to Goodbye Carolina.

Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart was a friend/enemy of Zappa. His album Trout Mask Replica was ahead of its time. Strange music for back then but I like it and still have the album.

Also Frank Zappa either fired or told Lowell George to go start his own band because his songs were good enough but not for MoI.

And that’s how we got Little Feat

But I enjoy the hell out of Captain Beefheart as well.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP and UK82
Some great folk artists in past decades. Today's attempts generally hit over on the weird side, which gets shut down after a quick listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT