ADVERTISEMENT

Does Anyone Else Think....

UofKBlue

Junior
Nov 16, 2009
That it's possible that Cal put our team in certain situations these past two games just to get his point across?

Hear me out for a second. In the past two games, our defense has been non-existent. In no other games this season has our defense just failed to show up like it had against Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Not only was our defense MIA, our offense had much more standing around than I recalled from other games.

On top of what I mentioned above, Coach Cal continued to mention in his interviews and press conferences that he wants his team to get punched in the mouth. He wanted them to have an overtime game. He wanted them to get down double digits and try to fight back. He wanted to see this happen because he said he "wanted to see how they respond with some adversity" and that "blowing teams out teaches me nothing about their ability to fight".

Now, fast forward to Monday during his pre-Mizzouri press conference he again brought up how he was happy that he got to see his team have a double digit deficit....and a couple of overtime games. He said it taught him a lot about his team and their fight. But he immediately followed that up with "now, enough is enough", almost like he, again, dropped the mic on his press conference. Kinda like he was holding his team back just so they could experience a close game.

Then comes last night and the return of the platoons, the defense, and a much more active offense. We swarmed, we ball-hawked, and we blocked shots. We cut, we screened, we posted, and played many versions of a high-low game. We actively worked the middle of the zone, leading to good mid-range jumpers.

So, now I ask, did Cal hold this team back just to give them that experience of playing in a tight situation? Or am I just overly thinking things? I never even thought anything about this until Monday when he made his "now, enough is enough" statement like he had been doing this as a drill.

Fire away.

No.

laugh.r191677.gif

Just stop it. Embarrassing.

don't think its that complicated....

guys had 10 days off and lost that "edge" that they played with for much of the season. they just went into the ole miss, a&m games and played like it was a rec league game. last night you saw them get back to normal, playing for each other rather then just with each other.

I think it's really hard to hold a team back. Coach is still trying to figure out who this team is and played with rotations to try and figure out what works and what doesn't. At the same time, we have strategic game plans from Ole Miss and TAMU that this team has not prepared for (the sagging zone). They had to learn how to adjust and adjustments take time. Also, i think the biggest factor is complacency. When the sideline reporter was talking about Cals text to the team Sunday night, she mentioned Bookers response. He said he feels that team just got too comfortable and they need to get back to playing with that fire and that starts on defense.

So no, I don't think Cal held them back. I think this team got too comfortable and for the first time felt vulnerable. They got down on themselves (Andrew), and lost a little confidence. When players start worrying about individual play that is when you lose the team concept and it shows on the court. I think Cal has them back together and seeing big picture again...for now.

Reactions: sgrooms
Out defense wasn't bad against Ole Miss, they were taking a lot of bad outside shots and hitting them. Our defense was bad against A and M. Hard to know exactly why but it wasn't a plan.

Didn't read the long post, but Cal wouldn't "hold" his team back. He wants them to learn, but doesn't want them to risk losing.

We played two "let down" games after a long layoff after our most emotionally draining game of the season... So its easy to see why they weren't up for them. Now I would have thought that the first game would have been enough to get across to them that nobody is going to give in just because they roll into town, but they are kids so... who knows.

Second I think the platoon system has more to do with it than what many think. I believe it just focuses their attention and the familiarity with it makes the game more comfortable and slows it down for them. So naturally we go back to it and we look better, albeit vs the worst team (that was missing one of its best players) in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT