ADVERTISEMENT

Do weekday/OOC games have any effect on the polls?

RogerIndy

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2002
Since we beat #7 uavel, will that hurt them or help us in next weeks polls? Since nobody even uses their best pitchers during the week, I don't see how weekday/OOC games even matter much. I mean it's cool for the fans that we swept the hated dirty birds, but does that help us get into the NCAA tourney?

Sure. Quality wins are quality wins. Several years ago, UK played no one in the OOC...Ohio U, Eastern, Morehead, etc.

UK now plays a quality schedule, both inside the league and out. Those wins over UL, UVA, and others will come in handy on Selection Day.

You have to remember that when you get to the post season that 4th pitcher becomes extremely important for several reasons. The first is that in the conference tournament you'll likely have to use at least 4 starters to win the whole thing. Next, when you get into the NCAA tournament then you can play a minimum of 3 games or a maximum of 5. So, if you end up losing one game during the weekend that 4th pitcher becomes extremely important. Then in the CWS I believe you likely have to play at least 4-5 games to win the whole thing. So, to just ignore midweek pitching and games would be a big mistake. Everyone is using those games to develop that 4th and 5th pitcher in case they need them later on. Plus, it often times simply means that the 4th or 5th pitcher is just younger than the weekend starters. So he just has less experience but might have just as much talent.

As StuckinBig10 said, a quality win is a quality win, and UK and Louisville were throwing everything within reason at one another in order to win. Partly thanks to Louisville and other quality OOC games UK has the 4th hardest schedule in the nation.

STUCKNBIG10 & Comebakatz3:

You both made some very good points. I certainly see that the weekday games help develop your pitching for the postseason and the next year. Your both are absolutely right. Thanks for the insight.

I live in Indianapolis, and the only time I've seen them play so far is the IU game in Bloomington that they lost. I am coming to Lexington to see two of the Ole Miss games next weekend and am looking forward to that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT