ADVERTISEMENT

Disc Golf

Mossip

Senior
Jul 21, 2007
Anybody here play? For those of you that suck at ball golf but love the appeal, i.e. being outdoors, competing, low(ish)-impact sport, etc., but suck, give disc golf a try. It has a reputation for being a hippy sport for stoners, but it's as technical as you make it. It's an incredibly cheap, fun way to spend an afternoon.

I play a little. Played in Lex and Louisville. Brother in law is big into it. Gave me some discs and a basket.

Reactions: Mossip
Anybody here play? For those of you that suck at ball golf but love the appeal, i.e. being outdoors, competing, low(ish)-impact sport, etc., but suck, give disc golf a try. It has a reputation for being a hippy sport for stoners, but it's as technical as you make it. It's an incredibly cheap, fun way to spend an afternoon.

I bought a starter set of discs this summer. Haven’t had a chance to get out and play yet but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. Any advice for a totally newbie?

I bought a starter set of discs this summer. Haven’t had a chance to get out and play yet but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. Any advice for a totally newbie?
Watch couple of beginner vids on YouTube and get out on a course. Pretty low barrier to entry.

Reactions: chroix and Mossip
Find a good "driving putter" and a decent mid-range. Watch some YouTube videos on form , start from a standstill and progress from there. High speed drivers are awful for beginners. I've been playing for years and don't bag any distance drivers.

Reactions: chroix
I've played a few times.. I have a real nice 18-hole course in a park that's 1 block from me.

But I just can't get the hang of it. I was pretty solid at ultimate Frisbee and I keep trying to throw like it's a regular Frisbee. I just can't seem to get any distance on the disc's.

But still enjoy it. Fun to play and doesn't take too long.

Any sport can be a stoner sport.

Eat a gummy and go for a run or bike ride? Sheeeeit.... wonderful.

Played disc golf once. It was fun, but domestic harmony dictates that I share my free time.

Disc golfers are grungy as hell though. What's up with that? You see some REAL characters on the course. I'm convinced that at least 20% of them are just homeless people who found lost disc's and started to play.

It's like a cross between hipsters and bowling alley people..

Also doesn’t hurt to go out to an open field and toss around before you hit a course. The courses I’ve played have been pretty tight with a lot of twists and turns, water and trees.

Reactions: Mossip and chroix
Also, @chroix if you have plenty of courses to play in your area, start with some of the more open, short courses (the golf equivalent of a par 3 course). I'm close to a nationally ranked course called Harmon Hills. Had I started my disc golf there, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it. Just an incredibly long and technical layout.

Another example is Idlewild in Cincy. That course is a bear.

DG Course Review site to find courses.

Disc golf is an awesome sport and it's a hell of a lot more challenging than I'm sure a lot of people on here probably think. I used to think it was just something graying hippies did when they got bored of hacky sack and that I could go out there and rip it up right away coming from a baseball background and being very active in sports growing up. Wrong.

I've been playing on and off for about 6 years now and I still think my game is so far away from where I'd like it to be... much like ball golf. You're never going to be satisfied. But it's a blast to get out there and watching a disc fly straight and true through the air is just as aesthetically pleasing to me as watching a golf ball fly straight through the air. It's a great feeling.

Living here in Cincinnati, the disc golf scene here is pretty legit. I've played Idlewild a few times, which is notorious for being one of the most difficult courses in the country for the pros, and it will humble you with a quickness. The first hole is one the easiest on the course and it's 640' with trees on your right and left. Once you get into the woods it will wear your ass out.

I was able to work the PDGA event up at Idlewild last year and watching the pros up in person was awesome and humbling. Even if you're not into it, seeing people who are the best in the world at what they do in their element is something I would suggest checking out. The sport is getting more and more popular and most of the top pros are getting million dollar endorsement deals, which is so cool to see. I hope the trend continues because I'd much rather what a disc golf final than a lot of other sports they put on TV on a random Tuesday anymore.

Living here in Cincinnati, the disc golf scene here is pretty legit.

For sure. So I have to drive by our course if I basically leave the house. I can tell you there are people playing at the crack of dawn, there are people in rain.. and there were people the other day playing in 35 degree weather with flurries. There is almost ALWAYS a foursome teeing off when I drive by.

This course often times has a legit wait to play.. and it's nothing special as far as I can tell. Although it seems tough, as most of it is in the woods.

This is one of the holes, and you basically play up through the trees.. but you'll notice that it starts to slope down very quick after the "hole". So if you miss your putt, you're effed. I've had my disc go rolling for like 30 feet to the left lol.

pcg3a0ozi9g71.jpg

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Wow @LineSkiCat14, that's a gorgeous course looking course. What's the name?

I kind of trailed off last year from playing so much, but I need to ramp it back it up in 2022. There have been a few new really nice courses put in around the area the last couple of years and I need to hit 'em up. Stonelick has been on the calendar for awhile now.

Wow @LineSkiCat14, that's a gorgeous course looking course. What's the name?

I kind of trailed off last year from playing so much, but I need to ramp it back it up in 2022. There have been a few new really nice courses put in around the area the last couple of years and I need to hit 'em up. Stonelick has been on the calendar for awhile now.

It's in Schenectady NY, in Central Park. I have to say, it is pretty nice to play. The first 5 are in the thick woods, and then it starts to clear out. Many of the holes go in and around walking paths, tennis courts, pavilions. It's a fun round. I just suck at it hahaha.

But be warned, at the rare chance you ever come up to play it... this side of the park is fairly nice, the other side? A complete ghetto. Like, very bad...

But yeah, hole #1 is legitimately walking distance from my front steps.

It's in Schenectady NY, in Central Park. I have to say, it is pretty nice to play. The first 5 are in the thick woods, and then it starts to clear out. Many of the holes go in and around walking paths, tennis courts, pavilions. It's a fun round. I just suck at it hahaha.

But be warned, at the rare chance you ever come up to play it... this side of the park is fairly nice, the other side? A complete ghetto. Like, very bad...

But yeah, hole #1 is legitimately walking distance from my front steps.

That reminds me of a couple of parks I used to play around Indy where if you missed a throw you probably weren't going to go looking for it depending on the yard it landed in.

But that course looks gorgeous, hopefully you get more chances to get out and enjoy. If it's anything like around here, disc golf exploded in popularity when the pandemic took off.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Sure enough.. there's snow on the ground, and it's about 25 degrees out right now (and probably in the teens with windchill).. and people are playing haha. Took this photo like an hour ago while walking the dog.

20220104-134521.jpg

I'm just starting out at 42 years old. I absolutely love it. I'm snatching up as many popular discs as I can. Just got a Buzz and and Firebird yesterday and got a Destroyer and Fuse coming tomorrow. I'm going to play on my local course for a bit longer and then go check out Idlewild. I hear that Independence has some great courses as well

Just started playing this year and absolutely love it as well. Have acquired around 20 discs or so with about 5 being putters for practice. I cant for the life of me throw backhand but have a pretty decent forehand for my experience. Living in Frankfort we are blessed to have loads of good courses around to play(Falling Springs, East Frankfort).

I'm looking for some good midrange discs. Anybody got any suggestions for some straight flyers?

I'm looking for some good midrange discs. Anybody got any suggestions for some straight flyers?
Fuse, Compass, Hex, and Emac Truth are all pretty straight flyers. I was bagging a Buzz but the Hex has replaced it. If you have a Fuse and Buzz in bag you should be good. I see you have a Firebird, check out the Thunderbirds as well in pro plastic.

Reactions: KARLITO12
Right now
Fuse, Compass, Hex, and Emac Truth are all pretty straight flyers. I was bagging a Buzz but the Hex has replaced it. If you have a Fuse and Buzz in bag you should be good. I see you have a Firebird, check out the Thunderbirds as well in pro plastic.
Right now all I can throw straight is a midrange. I have a Wraith coming shortly so I'm hoping to get a little more distance.

Reactions: Logistics88
How much of a difference does it make for the different levels of plastic for each disc. For Innova it's dx, star and champion. I wonder if it really helps to have the higher end discs

Reactions: Logistics88
For a hack like me, the more expensive plastics have a better hand feel, and probably most important, they don't beat up as easily. DX plastic is going to have serious damage after slamming your first drive into a tree.

I still bag some cheaper beat up discs for shots I have no business throwing, rollers, tomahawks etc. Also, if I'm throwing over some water on a long hole, I'll usually grab one..

I'd do some further reading on the pros and cons of different plastics once you find the specific molds that you like to play with. People that live in primarily cold/hot climates have their preferences too Honestly, I'm not nearly good enough for these finer points to really matter.

Roc3 has always been a straight flyer for me with a consistent finish.

The Buzzz discs are probably my go-to mid range disc. They're a straight flyer but a little more flexible if you're needing to try and work some more movement on the shot. I know the ratings don't show it, but I've always felt I could get a longer glide out of a Buzzz than other comparable mid range discs.

For more of a longer midrange/fairway driver type, I've always loved the Teebird. Probably my favorite disc overall.

The Buzzz discs are probably my go-to mid range disc. They're a straight flyer but a little more flexible if you're needing to try and work some more movement on the shot. I know the ratings don't show it, but I've always felt I could get a longer glide out of a Buzzz than other comparable mid range discs.

For more of a longer midrange/fairway driver type, I've always loved the Teebird. Probably my favorite disc overall.
I'm using the tee bird. It had been my most consistent disc. Goes pretty straight and solid distance too. I've been very spoty with the buzz. Still trying to get the hang of it. I think I need the SS

I have just a regular Buzz should have opted for the OS for my forehand, but my Hex is money for now. My buddy throws a TL, a longer version of the Teebird and loves it.

Never played in Lex, but I'm sure they have some nice courses. Cincinnati to your north and Tennessee to your south have some of the top ranked courses in the country.

Check out this link to search for local courses. The ratings are generally reliable.

Also gotta give some love to Kastaplast discs. They are putting out the best stuff right now in my opinion. My KAXE probably gets thrown about 50% of the round for me.

Ok found two in Lex I know of:

Lexmark campus park
Veterans Park

I was at Vets Park this past weekend. Looks like disc golf is mixed in with hiking/trail-biking paths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT