ADVERTISEMENT

Did Louisville expose one of our weaknesses?

jman3715

Freshman
Mar 30, 2007
One thing Louisville did to us was collapse on or bigs and poke, hack and grab at them every time they caught the ball inside.

Like we have found out in the past, refs don't typically call the hacks inside unless you are actually going up for a shot and even then only some of the time. Touch a guy outside and it's a foul but it's a free for all under the basket.

Both Ole Miss and TAMU did the same thing everytime our bigs touched the ball. Poke, hack and grab and it works. I re-watched the Ole Miss game and saw a couple of times where the double would come and the help would paw at the ball until it popped out. Does not help when our guys bring the ball down to their hip before making a move.

Originally posted by Xception:
We need teams to find weaknesses , that way by March everything will be shored up .
Exactly, all of these games are dress rehearsals for the tournament.

No Uofl did what made sense...to that point we were a terrible shooting team, especially from the perimeter. Naturally it made sense to collapse.

Our guards have a hard time getting dribble penetration against the zone. They also have a hard time reversing the ball efficiantly. You add to that the fact that when the ball enters the post, our bigs are not scoring or finding the open man quickly enough. Part of that is because our bigs have weak hands and are easily pushed around. Also, when our guards do get into the paint the opponent is allowing the midrange jumper and collapsing on the Bigs to avoid the lob. Our guards aren't making the defense pay for collapsing. Luckily we made enough 3's and Booker, Lyles and Johnson finally made some tough shots in the 2nd OT.

The blueprint has definitely been laid out for right now. The great thing about our great coach is that he will work on our weaknesses from this point forward until that method is no longer viable.

Our bigs are holding on to the ball to long when we pass in to the post. You need to know what you're going to do with the ball as you're catching it. If help comes, or is coming, you kick the ball back out before the help is on you. Our bigs also need to hold their post position better. They get pushed off the block to easy.

Dakari has regressed lately. Like Cal said, he had 4 or 5 shots today that didn't even get to the rim or backboard. As a 7 footer that shouldn't happen. He's not playing as big as he was at the end of last season.

By the end of the season I think a lot of this will be ironed out. The question is will we suffer a defeat or two while we are working this stuff out.

Would you rather the weaknesses be exposed later, as in maybe tourney time? That's what good teams do, and whether we want to admit it or not, UL is a good team. Great teams find a way to eliminate{ or negate} their weaknesses, and time will tell if we can be great, I have no doubt the potential is there to be. But we have a ways to go. Potential is off the charts though.

so the so-called "blueprint" is to foul the hell out of UK and hope the refs don't call all of them.

Rick Pitino is ruining college basketball. and is a zombie. who cheats on his wife.

Yes all these teams are exposing our weaknesses. And losing in the process. Thanks for the pointers, Einstein.

On that last rebound Dakari grabbed, they were trying to foul. The guy slapped, I mean literally, like slapped him 3 times before the red called it. It was crazy.

Originally posted by DCFseattle:

so the so-called "blueprint" is to foul the hell out of UK and hope the refs don't call all of them.

Rick Pitino is ruining college basketball. and is a zombie. who cheats on his wife.
..for 15 seconds.

Catben, great post and once that option of play is no longer viable its "Katie, bar the door" time!

OP is spot on. It is foul the bigs and hope the refs don't call. Cal may have to talk opey about it. He may have to talk to refs constantly. A&M had five or six so called blocks in the final box score. I am not sure they really had one true block. Probably should have been 10 free throws.

The offense is horribly stagnant. Way too much passing around the perimeter and far too little dribble penetration. What's worse is our lack of production in the post. Too many off balance chunk-it--to-the-rim shots by our bigs. Other than the lob, we have very little offensive production Dow low. I wonder how much we work on our pistol offense other than the lobs. It has to pick up.

The great thing about our great coach is that he will work on our weaknesses from this point forward until that method is no longer viable

I agree.

UL was outscored by UNC 22-8 in the last 8:43....I doubt anyone is using UL as a template for anything

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT