ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone really think we would win?

Boyd94

Junior
Feb 16, 2022
Up 7 at halftime and I just had this gut feeling. I didn't bother to watch the 2nd half. Makes it easier to go to sleep when you're not upset. I knew Cal would coach us to a loss. I think apathy is setting in.

Reactions: TM2013
I thought we would win before the game. During the game and until Reed missed that shot.

I knew if we got to overtime we would win.

Instead it’s a terrible loss.

On the plus side, we are staying in Chicago until Saturday and enjoying the Windy City.

I wouldn’t want to live here but we really enjoy visiting Chicago.

I didn’t expect us to win but they did show fight for a team just playing together for the first time in front of a National audience they will get better.

Up 7 at halftime and I just had this gut feeling. I didn't bother to watch the 2nd half. Makes it easier to go to sleep when you're not upset. I knew Cal would coach us to a loss. I think apathy is setting in.
When we got up 12 to 14 points, I kept thinking to myself, "When does Kentucky screw this thing up?"

That's a horrible feeling, isn't it; knowing that your head coach isn't a closer and that he coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win?

I mean, at this point the sample size is overwhelmingly clear that he's college basketball's absolute worst closer on the biggest stage. This goes all the back to 2008 Memphis. He followed that meltdown with another meltdown a year later with the Tyreke Evans team where Cal's Tigers (ranked #1 in defense most of the season), ended up giving up over 100 points to a trash Missouri team.

haha. Whenver we lose a footbal game you say "nah, didn't watch. Did other stuff". Just razzin ya man. I think it's hilarious that whenever we lose, you weren't there! PS, I didn't bother to watch Laetner's shot, Bill Buckner's error (I like the Red sox) or Miles Simon's performance. Life is good!

I still think if 2-3 bigs return you might see a lot of 1 for whatever as they audition for the NBA. Can’t play 10 people the 25 minutes they want,

I didn’t expect us to win but they did show fight for a team just playing together for the first time in front of a National audience they will get better.

I rarely get mad when they play hard and they sure did that. I also like how this team doesn't celebrate like they won the National Championship everytime they do something good.

Reactions: Cats192 and TexKat
Not a question as to who thought we would win. Question is how many thought we should we win because it is my birthright as a UK fan?
Cal is 28-35 against ranked teams since 2015 so at least we are prepared for the loss.

I thought, after we closed the gap, that we had a decent chance. Then the min management crap. And we still had a chance.

I used to feel and assume we would always find a way to win close games at the end. For years I felt that way. I honestly don't feel that way anymore. And haven't for a few years.

haha. Whenver we lose a footbal game you say "nah, didn't watch. Did other stuff". Just razzin ya man. I think it's hilarious that whenever we lose, you weren't there! PS, I didn't bother to watch Laetner's shot, Bill Buckner's error (I like the Red sox) or Miles Simon's performance. Life is good!
It's just a Cal thing. He puckers every time with 4 minutes to go. I just learned it's easier to just go to bed and not get upset. You know, the definition of insanity is thinking Cal might out coach someone at the end of the game?

Reactions: bigbluedon
Even up 8 with a few minutes to go, I figured we’d lose. No reason really, other than we just can’t seem to win big games on a big stage anymore.
Maybe it will change this year, but this felt “usual” that we would lose rather than win.

I thought we would win before the game. During the game and until Reed missed that shot.

I knew if we got to overtime we would win.

Instead it’s a terrible loss.

On the plus side, we are staying in Chicago until Saturday and enjoying the Windy City.

I wouldn’t want to live here but we really enjoy visiting Chicago.
I don't think losing to #1 Kansas goes in the "terrible loss" column.

Nope, the team is a doughnut right now. I am really concerned that if/when we do get one of our centers on the floor that it will change the style of play and we regress. Wagner and Edwards appear to be streaky scorers, but will play significant minutes regardless leading to scoring droughts in many games. I know they will have their moments, but we won't be consistent.

Didn’t think we could win prior to the game due to inexperience. Of course 99% of the sports books and experts felt the same.

There have been so many games that I've watched UK play against higher ranked teams over the years (pre-Cal) where I always "expected" UK might pull off the win and they did, knocking off the higher ranked team. Always great fun. But having a 14-point lead in the second half and losing is very concerning and does nothing but point to the coaching or lack of game/personnel management. The post-game excuses are worthy of Groundhog Day legend.

Would have been nice to have big Z and that might have been the difference. Cal says NCAA has 45 days to decide. Took 59 days with the UCLA guy. Which is it? None it makes sense especially with NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT