ADVERTISEMENT

Dickie V has vocal cord cancer.

I hate it that he retired because of illness. I hope he has a full recovery.

But I will not miss him ruining whatever game he calls.

I hope Dickie V beats this again. I will add him to our prayer list. He gets on my nerves a bit when he starts slobbering over that Rat Faced Bastard and Dook, buy can't help but like the guy.

Reactions: Soupbean
Dickie V is just a big fan. He pulls for every player and every coach to succeed. We get our feathers ruffled because that means he fawns over Duke and UNC. But those fans hate that he fawns over Kentucky and Kansas. Truth is he would fawn over the Little Sisters of the Poor if they upset Indiana. He just loves the game.

Saw Dick bring his Detroit team into Rupp for the ' 77 NCAA Tourney 2nd round and played Michigan TOUGH. Lost 86 - 81. That squad beat Marquette that season, who eventually won the title. He had a really good team.

Wishing DV well.

Reactions: Blueheart32
too many people overcome their battle with cancer only to see cancer come back a few years later.

I used to hope for a cure in my lifetime, now I'm hoping for a cure in my children's lifetime.

During my years in the Committee of 101, I had the privilege to meet Dick and correspond with him some. When some say his “Schtick”, they are correct. In person he is nothing like his on-camera personality. He is very caring and personable.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Dickie V is just a big fan. He pulls for every player and every coach to succeed. We get our feathers ruffled because that means he fawns over Duke and UNC. But those fans hate that he fawns over Kentucky and Kansas. Truth is he would fawn over the Little Sisters of the Poor if they upset Indiana. He just loves the game.

Saw Dick bring his Detroit team into Rupp for the ' 77 NCAA Tourney 2nd round and played Michigan TOUGH. Lost 86 - 81. That squad beat Marquette that season, who eventually won the title. He had a really good team.

Wishing DV well.
Agree 100% and it couldn't have been said any better.

too many people overcome their battle with cancer only to see cancer come back a few years later.

I used to hope for a cure in my lifetime, now I'm hoping for a cure in my children's lifetime.

I honestly feel that you never really beat cancer. Knock on wood.

Reactions: TankedCat
Statistically, malignancies are the 2nd biggest killer of Americans, behind only atherosclerotic heart disease. An incredible amount of money goes into cancer research.
Seems like it's been a hot topic for 35 years now, probably longer I'm 41 and always was front and center. I know we have made strides in research just don't know what that means. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy is still the way they go about it. If you don't want that treatment then they give you a bottle of pills to be comfortable while you pass away. I'm sure success rates have increased just doesn't seem that way. It's not a HIV situation where if you have money you have the cure.

He's 84. What else does he have to prove? Spend the rest of your days staring at the ocean.
Just shows how much he loves being around basketball. Some people love whatever work they do so much they want to be there even at the end. He’s gotten to travel the country and meet so many great players and coaches over the years. I hope he does take time for himself and family though.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT