ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Kief

AndyPopCat

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
Bluegrass, USA
twitter.com
The next two weekends could mean a lot for Kief, who will make unofficial visits to Alabama and Ohio State. Kief is an outstanding student and the academic side could weigh heavily for him, Grippa said.
"He's not going to be super wowed by a football factory," Grippa said. "I think a program that is going to have a fit for him academically will be attractive to him. I think he wants to be a physical therapist.
"He has great support from his family. His mom, Kelly, and his stepdad, Adrick Ceasar, have been great for him. Adrick played college football at Furman and he is a physical therapist. That's how he met Kelly."
Asked what he is looking for in a school, Kief said, "Overall, I am probably just looking for balance in a college. I'm looking for a place that will set me up very good for the future. Football only lasts for so long. I'm looking for a place that will set me up for life."
Illinois was the first school to offer Kief as new coach Tim Beckman came through last year.
"At that point, I didn't expect anything like that," Kief said. "It really blew me away. It was really crazy. I didn't think they would offer me after my sophomore year."
Alabama, of course, has won three of the last four national championships. The Crimson Tide made its offer in just the last few weeks.
"It's a great honor," Kief said. "Obviously, they've won national championships and a lot of the best players go there. It's an honor to see that they would want me to play there."
The Cincinnati campus is just a few miles from Kief's home. Could the Bearcats and new coach Tommy Tuberville pose a real threat to sign Kief?
"They've been involved," Kief said. "I've been to one of their spring practices and I have talked to their coaches. That would be a consideration to play in my hometown, but I am still leaving it open to everything."
Ohio State, coming off a 12-0 season with new coach Urban Meyer at the helm, is also an intriguing choice. Due to renovations at Ohio Stadium, OSU will host its spring game at Cincinnati's Paul Brown Stadium on April 13.
"I went to a bunch of football games there in the fall," Kief said. "I have a visit planned for the 29th or 30th of this month. I will go up, see practice and meet the coaches. I have been on the phone with them a lot."
Kentucky, with newly hired coach Mark Stoops, welcomed Kief for a visit in February.
"Down there, it looks like a great change is going to be made with the new coaching staff," Kief said. "They have a lot of good stuff going for them. It looks like their program is on an uptick."
When asked about another school that intrigues him, Kief mentioned Northwestern. The Wildcats are coming off a 10-win season and a rare bowl win.
"I visited Northwestern and I have been talking to them for a long time," Kief said. "I like them because it's a great school. It's pretty balanced."
Mark Porter, who follows Ohio high school recruiting for ScoutingOhio.com, said he lists Kief as the state's top wideout for 2014.

http://247sports.com/Article/Alabama-Ohio-State-have-offered-LaSalle-wideout-Derek-Kief-122579

He was on campus for Junior Day. Any word whether we can get him on campus for the Spring Game. He has to be one of our top targets. We have a lot of playing time and oppotunities to catch the ball for a 6'5' outside receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT