ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1 Draft Thoughts

UKRuppster

Junior
Apr 14, 2018
Charm City (Baltimore)
Apologies for taking up another thread/spot on the board, but I'd rather separate this from the actual draft thread so people can both see my thoughts without having to wade through so many posts on the draft thread and to provide thoughts of their own if they wish. here are mine for each team. And I'm going to avoid giving out "grades." Yeah, I could do that, but those aren't very fruitful without these guys having even been in a day of training camp for their teams much less played a snap in a game. I'll give my thoughts based on the order each team drafted in tonight and also post on teams that didn't. I'll break it down into 3 segments so it's not just one long read.

Jacksonville Jaguars - They made the pick they couldn't screw up in Trevor Lawrence. Taking a running back at 25 was interesting considering the other holes throughout their roster, but I do like that Travis Etienne and Lawrence have obvious chemistry with one another. If Etienne is another Alvin Kamara (ESPN compared him to Kamara), it's a great pick.

New York Jets - Some liked Justin Fields second after Lawrence, others preferred Trey Lance, a few may have preferred Mac Jones while the Jets and others liked Zach Wilson. I didn't see a ton of Wilson at BYU, so I don't feel good enough to comment. However, I will say I hope they're right. The last two QBs the Jets drafted high didn't pan out too well (Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold). At least Wilson didn't go to USC like the last two failures the Jets drafted highly at QB. Alijah Vera-Tucker, I wonder if they want to play him at right tackle or inside at guard. If it's at guard, I probably would have stayed back at 23 and taken somebody there. That said, I can't be too hard on the Jets for wanting to help Wilson out. And if he's the guy they liked most, who am I to question them?

San Francisco 49ers - Once the obvious two picks were off the board, I think taking Trey Lance was the right call. I think he could be a big star for the Niners. But they should keep Jimmy Garoppolo around and not rush Lance onto the field. If Lance plays well enough in training camp and preseason to where you feel comfortable riding with him on Week 1, trade Garoppolo then if a team needs a QB. Otherwise, just keep him and let him start unless he struggles or gets hurt (the latter does happen frequently with Jimmy, unfortunately).

Atlanta Falcons - A tight end feels like a luxury for a team with so many holes defensively, but obviously teams weren't that high on Justin Fields, and if you're going to build around Matt Ryan, I get it. Kyle Pitts could be a generational talent, and passing on talent like him to fill a need would have been a dumb idea for the Falcons. Hope they draft some defense tomorrow!

Cincinnati Bengals - Team Chase won over Team Sewell. I'd have personally gone with Sewell given that Joe Burrow's season ended early last year due to injury, but I do get the idea of reuniting Burrow with Ja'Marr Chase. Those two had a great connection with one another two years ago. A Chase/Higgins/Boyd receiving core could be dynamite. Just get Burrow some protection tomorrow, guys!

Miami Dolphins - With Pitts and Chase off the board, their options were Sewell or one of the Bama receivers. I can see the argument for any of the three, and if they think Waddle is the next Tyreek Hill like some believe, they made the right choice even though I personally like Smith better since he's more polished and has a higher floor. Built in chemistry with Tua is a plus on the Waddle pick. Jaelan Phillips is a high risk/high reward player. He medically retired while at UCLA from multiple concussions. That would scare me a bit, but he'd have likely gone higher if not for that, so I get where the Dolphins were going with this pick.

Detroit Lions - Can't go wrong with a BPA concept nor can you go wrong with building in the trenches. Penei Sewell was the best tackle in the draft, and he certainly could have gone as high as 5 to Cincinnati for me. I like that Detroit chose him over DeVonta Smith. They've tried the WR thing in the top 10 so many times before and it's failed miserably for them. They could have considered Fields, but if they didn't like him enough, I understand passing on him. You can say that about Atlanta before them and the next two teams that picked after the Lions, who also both passed on Fields.

Carolina Panthers - You could make a case for any of the three players that went in succession from 8 to 10 in this spot. Or you could make one for Rashawn Slater as well. If they didn't think Slater could play tackle (and maybe they didn't), I like going for a corner. Given the offenses Carolina has to go against in their own division, they need to add corner help. They got it in Jaycee Horn

Denver Broncos - A case for Fields could have been made here, but like I said, if they didn't like him enough, don't take him just to try upgrading at QB. Cornerback was an interesting pick. Prior to free agency, cornerback would have made perfect sense. After they signed Ronald Darby and Kyle Fuller in free agency, I wasn't sure they'd draft a corner at the 9th spot. But in a division with Mahomes and that Chiefs offense and Justin Herbert, I can get behind the idea of having another quality corner on the roster. Patrick Surtain offers IMO a higher floor than Jaycee Horn, although Bama corners have been a bit hit or miss in the NFL

Philadelphia Eagles - They knew if they wanted DeVonta Smith that they'd have to get ahead of the Giants. Having two third round picks, I have no issue with trading one of those away to get their guy, even if it meant trading the pick to Dallas. The Cowboys obviously didn't need Smith after drafting CeeDee Lamb a year ago, so I understand the move back from their P.O.V.

Chicago Bears - Regardless of how anybody feels about Justin Fields, there's no doubt GM Ryan Pace and head coach Matt Nagy knew their seats were scorching hot. They had to make a move like this knowing they couldn't go into the 2021 season with Andy Dalton as their starting QB. Fields offers a much higher upside at the QB spot and could come into the league with a chip on his shoulder after he got a lot of criticism during the draft process (work ethic, locks onto the first read, epilepsy, etc.)

Dallas Cowboys - After Denver swiped them and took Surtain, moving back was a good move on their part. With their offensive line situation, Rashawn Slater could have been a solid choice. Since they were set on going defense, Micah Parsons was a very good pick. He's a modern day linebacker who offers some pass rush capability. Good job getting him and a third round pick.

Los Angeles Chargers - Quietly one of my big winners on the night. Rashawn Slater was a perfect pick for them at 13. Some people knocked him for his shorter arms, but I feel like he'll be able to play left tackle in the NFL at a high level. Even if I'm wrong, they can get a fantastic guard out of the deal.. No lose situation if you're the Chargers.

New England Patriots - I didn't like the idea of Mac Jones at 3, but can definitely get behind it at 15. It can work with him in New England. They will need to upgrade that WR group, though. It's a major downgrade from what Jones had at Alabama.

Arizona Cardinals - Kind of interesting that they took Zaven Collins, who sounds a bit similar to Haason Reddick when they drafted him out of Temple a few years ago in that they see him as a guy who can both pressure the passer and play in coverage. But I will say you can never have enough quality pass rushers, and if he can help out in coverage as well, it's a very shrewd pick.

Las Vegas Raiders - Was a bit surprised they didn't go with Christian Darrisaw since he reminds me some of Kolton Miller with his athletic ability, but they preferred versatility, and went with Alex Leatherwood. The Mayock/Gruden duo has shown an affinity for players from college programs from a winning pedigree, so Leatherwood makes a lot of sense from that perspective. It also makes sense since they lost a lot of O-Linemen during the offseason and needed to restock the shelf a bit.

Washington Football Team - I love that they drafted Jamin Davis for their roster. Congrats to Jamin BTW. They needed a cover linebacker in the worst way, and Jamin is the perfect guy for that role. He can thrive on this team with Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen (all former first round picks) in front of him. Perfect fit between team and player.

New York Giants - They obviously wanted DeVonta Smith, but their division rivals conspired against them. When that happened, I do like that they moved down, and especially like that they got a first round pick next year from the Bears allowing Chicago to move up for Fields. I personally preferred Elijah Moore to Kadarius Toney, but they're a similar breed of receiver, so I get what they were doing. We'll see if I'm right or they're right in the next few years.

Indianapolis Colts - 21 was kind of a tough spot for the Colts. I could have seen an argument for a number of other players (Darrisaw, Elijah Moore, Greg Newsome and a few more), but they went with the athletic pass rusher in Kwity Paye. They haven't had a lot of success in trying to develop these rawer pass rushers they've drafted of late (Ben Banogu and Kemoko Turay come to mind), so we'll see how they do with Paye. I do get it from the perspective that pass rusher was a position of need.

Reactions: sieken
Tennessee Titans - They could have gone with Greg Newsome or Elijah Moore, but since they felt comfortable with Caleb Farley's medicals, I understand the pick. If not for the back issues, Farley was a top 10-15 talent in the draft. With corner a definite need, I understand going big or going home.

Minnesota Vikings - I read that Minnesota wanted Christian Darrisaw at 14 (understandable since they needed O-Line help) but weren't sure he'd last that long. He not only lasted that long, but they were able to move back to 23 and still nab him. Hard for me to consider tonight anything but a strong one for the Vikings.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Najee Harris sounded like their target all along and they got their man. Some will question the value of a running back in the first round, but this guy should provide their rushing attack a major upgrade. My guy @JHannibalSmith said it doesn't matter who runs the ball without a good O-Line. They could still use help at center and the tackle spots, not just for Harris, but obviously for Big Ben. The Steelers should look to address that as well as the linebacker and secondary positions on the final two days of the draft.

Cleveland Browns - A lot of people liked Notre Dame hybrid LB/S Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in this spot. I did as well, but I do really like Greg Newsome as well. You can't have too many quality cover corners, and this guy only allowed a 31.6 completion percentage against him in 2020. I like that he doesn't back down from the challenge of shutting down the receiver across from him regardless of who it is. That's my kind of player/mentality.

Baltimore Ravens - I kind of expected them to use one pick and trade the other, but they used both. If they were going to draft a receiver, I do like that they took a big swing in Round 1 instead of half-assing it and waiting until the mid-to-late rounds. Rashod Bateman makes sense to me in that he offers a different skill set from guys they already have on their roster. I think he can be a solid rookie contributor. Jayson Oweh is an athletic freak (4.39 40 at 250 pounds), and he did well getting pressure on opposing QBs even if the sack totals weren't there. He's not yet a finished product, but he fits well in the Ravens defensive scheme.

New Orleans Saints - Payton Turner was a very interesting selection. I knew his name was on the rise coming into this thing, but wasn't sure he'd sneak into Round 1. I'm not sure he would have made it to the Saints pick late in Round 2, and without a trade back that satisfied them, why not go get your guy? Very high upside player here, though a bit raw.

Green Bay Packers - I remember reading somewhere that Eric Stokes would go higher than a lot of people expected. Like Payton Turner, I wasn't expecting him to sneak into the first round, either. I do see the appeal, though. He's got great length and looks like he's sometimes shot out of a cannon when going downhill. That undoubtedly backs up the insane 4.25 40 he reportedly ran at his pro day. Once the top 5 corners were off the board, it's basically anyone's guess in my mind as to who the best of the second tier corners is, Stokes amongst those second tier corners.

Buffalo Bills - Gregory Rousseau has great size and tremendous length, but I do wonder about the lack of explosiveness. He sounds a lot like A.J. Epenesa to me, who the Bills drafted in the second round a year ago. I may have gone with a more explosive pass rusher such as Jayson Oweh or Joe Tryon, who went with the following two picks after the Bills took Rousseau. Tough to argue with the 15 sack production in 2019, though.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Short of something insane like taking a kicker, punter or long snapper, they really could have done just about anything given that they have such a great roster. With Jason Pierre-Paul set to be a free agent after 2021, I can get behind adding a high upside developmental pass rusher. Joe Tryon sneaked into the first round, but there are some who feel like he would've been a surefire Round 1 pick had there been a full season and he not opted out. Welcome to a pandemic, though.

Last edited:
I think Lawerence is overrated
I haven't followed Wilson at all, he could be legit. I hope he is, I'm pulling for Saleh to be successful.
Same as Wilson, I know next to nothing about Lance
Best pick of the top four with my limited knowledge of the others. This guy is legit if his head is right.
Bengals, don't like the pick. I like Smith better but should have taken Sewell.
Good pick but like Smith as the best receiver
Smart pick!!
Coin flip IMO between Surtain and Horn, good pick
Same as above
They take Smith... Giants shit the bed, the rest is history. So much for that back up plan everyone in a management position talks about. Just wing it!

Whoops. Forgot to add thoughts on the three teams that didn't pick. I'll do that right now.

Chiefs - They knew they had to help out Patrick Mahomes up front after he got crushed by Tampa's pass rush in that Super Bowl defeat. They've done exactly that in free agency and on the trade market, dealing the 31st pick to Baltimore as part of a trade netting them Orlando Brown Jr. I can understand entrusting Brown to protect the blindside of Mahomes over a rookie considering they were never going to get Sewell or even Slater at pick 31.

Rams - Offensive line, pass rush and linebacker seem like they should be the priorities looking at their roster.

Seahawks - Armed with just three picks, I imagine they'll move down at least a couple of times to try accumulating more draft picks. Couldn't go wrong with picks in the trenches and the secondary with those picks. Maybe linebacker as well.

I think Lawerence is overrated
You're going very against the grain considering everybody thinks Lawrence is one of those generational can't miss guys. I"m not saying you're wrong.

Bengals, don't like the pick. I like Smith better but should have taken Sewell.
I can see where they were going with it given the chemistry Chase and Burrow have, but after Burrow just got knocked out for the season with an injury, Sewell would have made the most sense to me. If they can get him enough help tomorrow, he'll have a great trio of receivers to throw to. Chase/Higgins/Boyd is legit.

They take Smith... Giants shit the bed, the rest is history. So much for that back up plan everyone in a management position talks about. Just wing it!

Philadelphia did well moving up for Smith since they needed a true #1 receiver and obviously the Giants wanted him. It's why they moved back nine spots after Philly moved ahead of them for him. I think Smith can be a big contributor from Day 1 assuming Jalen Hurts can get him the ball.

Not as many trades as I thought they might be. Jones falling to NE is proof they continue to be blessed. I bet Bill would have taken Jones over any other QB except Lawrence.

Chase was a good pick as he was the best player on the board at that point but if Burrow gets hurt again it's going to highlight that failure to take the next Anthony Munoz in Sewell.

I would have traded down there to 10-12 for picks and gotten Slater to add a C/G as Slater can play anywhere on the line and probably have been a couple 3rds or maybe even a 2nd and 3rd to go with it to address even more needs but that ship has sailed.

Agree with you assessment of the Titans. Me personally, if we had to go corner I would've gone with Newsome. Newsome had a mildly less ceiling but a much higher floor. Farley is high risk, elite reward. So, if I were to grade the pick, I would grade it at a 'B or B-' simply because of value. It absolutely has potential for an A++.......but also a F.

My thoughts are the same every year.
1. Too long.
2. Why wait on the first pick?

The Patriots won big time by not having to move up for Jones.

Not sure how Etienne was still available late, but that may be the steal of the draft. He's got McCaffery potential. Obviously, Lawernce was a no-brainer.

Barring something out of left field Jags have their backfield for the next decade and it has the potential to be all-pro fireworks show if they can build and solidify the team around those two.

Ballsy move by 49ers. I mean who the hell is that kid? I feel like they could have traded down, got some extra picks, and still been in a position to get that guy or Mac Jones later.

NE showed just how foolish SF was as SF moved up and traded the farm to take Jones at 3 when they didn't need to, then they changed their mind because of the blowback they got for planning on picking Jones at 3. SF was a disaster and that doesn't even include their fumbled attempt to trade their entire franchise for Aaron Rodgers.

Very happy Smith fell to the Eagles. Finally a receiver I believe can be a game changer + Smith and Jalen Hurts have chemistry already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT