ADVERTISEMENT

Dam, happy to sad in .5 secs

Are we a threat with Drew? POLL

• Total voters
Well he was going to be a 1 seed the year the tourney was canceled and Cal was going to be a 3 seed. The next year Drew was a 1 seed and destroyed undefeated Gonzaga in the title game. Then the year Cal lost to St Peter’s Drew was a 1 seed again. The following year Drew was a 3 seed while Cal was a 6 seed.

He was doing all that the last 5 years while competing in by far the toughest conference in basketball.

For anyone to say that Drew is the same as Cal just shows how stupid they are.
So we hire based off seeding now? Didn't Drew get bounced in the 2nd rd 2 of the 3 years he had a 1 seed?

I don’t know them all nor do I have the time to list then all.

3 #1 seeds and made it out of the 2nd rd once? Wow!

Now does being a 1 seed equate to titles? Do we get banners for that?

Tell us how many F4's does he have? What about E8s? In the last decade, how many times has Drew been past the sw16?

How many conference tournaments has he won? What about conference titles? How many times has he had the big12 tournament finals?

What's his record against KU? What about against the top 25?
Lol so no, you can't name other coaches who have outperformed him besides Hurley and Self. And if you don't understand the importance of getting 1 seeds then I might as well be talking to a wall. And yes, those 1 seeds DID equate to a national title. Keep crying.

Reactions: Girthang
Lol so no, you can't name other coaches who have outperformed him besides Hurley and Self. And if you don't understand the importance of getting 1 seeds then I might as well be talking to a wall. And yes, those 1 seeds DID equate to a national title. Keep crying.
I'll answer when you answer!

Tell us how many F4's does he have? What about E8s? In the last decade, how many times has Drew been past the sw16?

How many conference tournaments has he won? What about conference titles? How many times has he had the big12 tournament finals?

Don't be scared!

Reactions: ncaaky

Don't be scared!
Yes 1 seeds are important and equate to titles if you have been awake the last century. Baylor won the 2021 National Title.

Again you are the one bashing him but you are also the one who can't name more than 2 coaches that have outperformed him the last 5 years.

Reactions: Girthang and ncaaky
So we hire based off seeding now? Didn't Drew get bounced in the 2nd rd 2 of the 3 years he had a 1 seed?
Ok. You are right. Let’s hire the San Diego State coach who made the Final 4 last season even though he sucks. Or hire Keats because he made the Final 4 this season even though he sucks.

Obviously we wouldn’t want a coach like Bill Self because he lost the first weekend to two crappy teams the last two years.

Hell yeah you hire based off seeding. The body of work during a 31 game season is what matters.

Or we could hire Keats or what ever his name is at SD St. because they had a tourney run.

Reactions: TM2013
Ok. You are right. Let’s hire the San Diego State coach who made the Final 4 last season even though he sucks. Or hire Keats because he made the Final 4 this season even though he sucks.

Obviously we wouldn’t want a coach like Bill Self because he lost the first weekend to two crappy teams the last two years.

Hell yeah you hire based off seeding. The body of work during a 31 game season is what matters.

Or we could hire Keats or what ever his name is at SD St. because they had a tourney run.
Keats has actually won a conference tournament and been to a F4. As have Dusty May, SDSU coach, and so on. Hell, Nate Oats has more accomplishments.

I wouldn't want Bill Self. He's old. Lol.

So, he has been seeded great and still only has 1 F4, has only been past the sw16 once in 12 years. No conference tournamnet championships. Sounds epic!
Yes 1 seeds are important and equate to titles if you have been awake the last century. Baylor won the 2021 National Title.

Again you are the one bashing him but you are also the one who can't name more than 2 coaches that have outperformed him the last 5 years.
Don't be afraid to answer the questions, dog!

Baylor win the covid championship?!?! Wow!

Well he was going to be a 1 seed the year the tourney was canceled and Cal was going to be a 3 seed. The next year Drew was a 1 seed and destroyed undefeated Gonzaga in the title game. Then the year Cal lost to St Peter’s Drew was a 1 seed again. The following year Drew was a 3 seed while Cal was a 6 seed.

He was doing all that the last 5 years while competing in by far the toughest conference in basketball.

For anyone to say that Drew is the same as Cal just shows how stupid they are.
Real question. Most of us hate Cal. How's Drew more than a safe harbor? He's gonna take UK back to the promise land??? Hea gonna reignite our program???

Desperation is no reason to reach sideways. Whoever it is we are probably looking at the next 3,-5 years. All I'm saying is swing big. He'll guys like Drew are waiting in the weeds. I'd rather br8ng Pitino back.😛

Reactions: dl51344
Real question. Most of us hate Cal. How's Drew more than a safe harbor? He's gonna take UK back to the promise land??? Hea gonna reignite our program???

Desperation is no reason to reach sideways. Whoever it is we are probably looking at the next 3,-5 years. All I'm saying is swing big. He'll guys like Drew are waiting in the weeds. I'd rather br8ng Pitino back.😛
Chris Beard should get a call before Drew.

Don't be scared!
Yes. No. 1. 3. 3. 0. 2. Not good against KU.

OK, I have answered your questions. Now answer mine if you are capable:

What coaches have outperformed Drew the last five years besides Hurley and Self?

Yes. No. 1. 3. 3. 0. 2. Not good against KU.

OK, I have answered your questions. Now answer mine if you are capable:

What coaches have outperformed Drew the last five years besides Hurley and Self?
Lol, no you didn't! Try again.

Answer these and I will answer yours. I already have a nice list ready to post!

Lol, no you didn't! Try again.

Answer these and I will answer yours. I already have a nice list ready to post!
Lol good lord. So clearly you can't name 3 coaches who have outperformed him.

Reactions: Girthang
Some of you guys are nuts,we don't need a " rockstar" we need a solid basketball coach who is a proven winner,Drew checks both of those boxes. Joe B was hardly a Rockstar and he won a championship here,neither was Tubby and he won one and don't give me that horseshit it was Rick's players, Tubby COACHED them.

Drew is as basic as it gets. We haven't been to a FF in a decade.

..... Baylor has.

Without multiple top recruiting classes.

They stayed the course, didn't choke, and won a title.

They have 2 5 star commits right now and have adapted fairly well to the portal.

That's the coach doing that. At BAYLOR

None of that screams "basic" in terms of basketball.

Is he going to host a telethon, make outrageous statements he can't back up, and make everything about him? Probably not. So in that way he's probably "basic" and might be just what we need. Maybe not

Some of you guys are nuts,we don't need a " rockstar" we need a solid basketball coach who is a proven winner,Drew checks both of those boxes. Joe B was hardly a Rockstar and he won a championship here,neither was Tubby and he won one and don't give me that horseshit it was Rick's players, Tubby COACHED them.

A proven winner? The dude has won 1 thing, ever. Proven winners actually manage to win their conference tournament on occasion, and also win their conference title from time to time.

They also make is past the sw16 more than once in 12 years.

A proven winner? The dude has won 1 thing, ever. Proven winners actually manage to win their conference tournament on occasion, and also win their conference title from time to time.

They also make is past the sw16 more than once in 12 years.
No coach EVER hired here had previously won a national championship. NONE. In the history of our program. Drew would be way ahead of the game in that regard.

I might also add for you guys screaming for a " homerun" hire that the 2 homerus we have hired in my lifetime Pitino and Cal didn't win any more titles at KENTUCKY than Drew has at BAYLOR

Reactions: know1 and TM2013
No coach EVER hired here had previously won a national championship. NONE. In the history of our program. Drew would be way ahead of the game in that regard.
Lol, Drew won a NC during a covid year, when teams were shut down, players were sat out weeks for a cough or sneeze. There were no fans, a shortended season and countless regulations people had to follow.

States and local communities all had their own guidelines. Schools and conferences had their own guidelines, and then the NCAA had their own. That was a pointless season and tournament.

Also, if UK has had all this success without hiring a coach who already has a natty, maybe we should continue that streak! Thanks for proving my point!

I might also add for you guys screaming for a " homerun" hire that the 2 homerus we have hired in my lifetime Pitino and Cal didn't win any more titles at KENTUCKY than Drew has at BAYLOR
But they won a lot of conference tournaments, regular season conference titles and went to a lot more F4's E8's and so on, correct? You think maybe you're selling their accomplishments a little short to prop up Drew?

Right. He's bottomed out. No guy has ever come to UK after winning a title elsewhere and won one here. But you are going all in on Drew doing it right? First ever, greatest of all time.
When has UK ever had a coach who previously won a title? Never. We’ve had three coaches who had previously made a final four; never won a title.

Reactions: dl51344 and TM2013
Lol, Drew won a NC during a covid year, when teams were shut down, players were sat out weeks for a cough or sneeze. There were no fans, a shortended season and countless regulations people had to follow.

States and local communities all had their own guidelines. Schools and conferences had their own guidelines, and then the NCAA had their own. That was a pointless season and tournament.

Also, if UK has had all this success without hiring a coach who already has a natty, maybe we should continue that streak! Thanks for proving my point!
I don’t want Drew but I debated with another guy on here last month about this.

No one was sat out during the tournament. Everyone played under the same exact circumstances. Baylor was a one seed and went on to do what no one else could and beat an undefeated Gonzaga team.

This wasn’t the regular season that was meaningless. This was the tournament. The same teams who did the best in the regular season, did the best in the tournament. Just because there weren’t a lot of drunk college students and 70 year olds in the stands doesn’t change what happened on the court.

No one was sat out during the tournament. Everyone played under the same exact circumstances. Baylor was a one seed and went on to do what no one else could and beat an undefeated Gonzaga team.

This wasn’t the regular season that was meaningless. This was the tournament. The same teams who did the best in the regular season, did the best in the tournament. Just because there weren’t a lot of drunk college students and 70 year olds in the stands doesn’t change what happened on the court.
Exactly, and Baylor beat the hell out of everyone that tournament in UConn style. If covid hadn't canceled the previous tourney they could have accomplished what UConn has the last 2 seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy

Clearly you don't remember VCU not playing in the tournament because of covid.

Gtech had Moses Wright out for a game and lost to Loyola.

VA and KU had to skip their conference tournaments just before due to covid.

Countless teams and players were impacted in the post season by covid. Saying otherwise proves a complete lack of the facts.

So, no, it wasn't the same for all.

Lol, tell us you don't know wtf you're talking about without actually saying it.

"No one was sat out during the tournament. Everyone played under the same exact circumstances." Lol, yea, okay...🤣

Clearly you don't remember VCU not playing in the tournament because of covid.

Gtech had Moses Wright out for a game and lost to Loyola.

VA and KU had to skip their conference tournaments just before due to covid.

Countless teams and players were impacted in the post season by covid. Saying otherwise proves a complete lack of the facts.

So, no, it wasn't the same for all.

Lol, tell us you don't know wtf you're talking about without actually saying it.

"No one was sat out during the tournament. Everyone played under the same exact circumstances." Lol, yea, okay...🤣

Oh yes, the juggernauts of VCU. Clearly the national title doesn’t mean anything cause VCU wasn’t there.

Three of the four one seeds made the Elite 8. Two one seeds met in the national championship. The two best teams all year played for the title. What exactly had to occur to be legit? I highly doubt you’d have this position I’d say we didn’t suck in 21 and somehow won a title.

Oh yes, the juggernauts of VCU. Clearly the national title doesn’t mean anything cause VCU wasn’t there.
Lol, yes that would be preposterous to think a non juggernaut like VCU, NC State, FAU, SDSU or countless others could impact the tournament at all.🫠

It would be crazy to think good teams like KU and UVA would be impacted by having to miss their conference tournaments the week prior.🙄

You got exposed for being clueless. Just lick your wounds and move on.

Drew may not be the guy. Maybe he is. He could also be nearly a lateral move from Cal. No way to know.

It's always a gamble.

Lol, yes that would be preposterous to think a non juggernaut like VCU, NC State, FAU, SDSU or countless others could impact the tournament at all.🫠

It would be crazy to think good teams like KU and UVA would be impacted by having to miss their conference tournaments the week prior.🙄

You got exposed for being clueless. Just lick your wounds and move on.
No I say you’re irrational and clearly not objective on this whatsoever. I mean, Jesus, literally everyone entered the tournament under the same circumstances. The same teams who were the best in the regular season ended up being the best in the tournament so your post just conveniently disregards that by mentioning an 8 seed VCU who would’ve played 1 seed Michigan in the second round if they won, somehow dismisses Baylor winning it all. 😂

We had two one seeds, a two seed, and an 11 seed in the final four.

Winning a title during that season would be harder; not easier. I assume you think Tom Brady’s seventh ring isn’t legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TM2013
I hear you. 2 years ago I would have been crazy. End of the day it isn't just a guy but a showman. Drew would wilt, it has to be a lion tamer to make it here
I think that's a popular opinion, but I disagree. I'm not saying Drew is the right guy, but if someone comes here and wins, and this may be an unpopular stance, I don't care one bit if he's a "showman" or is liked by the fanbase. He can be a complete D***, just win.

No I say you’re irrational and clearly not objective on this whatsoever. I mean, Jesus, literally everyone entered the tournament under the same circumstances. The same teams who were the best in the regular season ended up being the best in the tournament so your post just conveniently disregards that by mentioning an 8 seed VCU who would’ve played 1 seed Michigan in the second round if they won, somehow dismisses Baylor winning it all. 😂

We had two one seeds, a two seed, and an 11 seed in the final four.

Winning a title during that season would be harder; not easier. I assume you think Tom Brady’s seventh ring isn’t legit.
How the **** do you enter a tournament under the same circumstances when teams are having to pull out, players are having to sit out and some teams just had to sit out long stretches just before the tournament?

They also had the most consistentcy all year because they were in places that had more laxed covid guidelines. TX had among the most relaxed covid restrictions in the country. There is a reason they had success.

Having teams sit out impacts the whole tournament. The tournament is literally known for its upsets. How can you say for certainty what would have happened in a norrmal year? You can't! That's why the covid year will always be considered an anomaly.

And if you had a normal tournament, you likely have more upsets. It's comical you mention an 11 seed advanced to the F4, but VCU had no shot according to you.

It's also very odd that never before or after has Scott Drew made it to a F4. Hell, in the last 12 years, he hasn't even made another E8. Yet, he had no issues in a covid year when teams and players had to opt out. 🤣

Tom has 6 others to support him. What does Drew have? 🤣

I think that's a popular opinion, but I disagree. I'm not saying Drew is the right guy, but if someone comes here and wins, and this may be an unpopular stance, I don't care one bit if he's a "showman" or is liked by the fanbase. He can be a complete D***, just win.
This mentality has me willing to support a will wade hire...can't stand the prick, but if he can come in here and win like I believe he would, I'm all in. Truthfully, I didn't like Pitino much when he was here, other than the results.

Drew may not be the guy. Maybe he is. He could also be nearly a lateral move from Cal. No way to know.

It's always a gamble.
I would submit that Drew, on paper, is a lateral move. I believe the good thing is (hopefully, I'll add) Mitch won't offer the same amount of money/contract length. In short, the leash will be shorter so if another change is needed at some point UK will have flexibility to be able to pivot. That said, coach hopping is a bad idea and if it's Scott Drew then my wish (as is most fans) for a wonderful stretch of success.

I would submit that Drew, on paper, is a lateral move. I believe the good thing is (hopefully, I'll add) Mitch won't offer the same amount of money/contract length. In short, the leash will be shorter so if another change is needed at some point UK will have flexibility to be able to pivot. That said, coach hopping is a bad idea and if it's Scott Drew then my wish (as is most fans) for a wonderful stretch of success.
The last 5 years Drew has massively outperformed Calipari across the board. And he is 12 years younger. He is also more accomplished than Cal was when he took the UK job.

Reactions: kenton71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT