ADVERTISEMENT

D&D/Critical Role

So, what kind of time commitment do you usually have? How does it work?
In the online setting? You sign up for a game, then work together with the others playing in the game to find a time that works for you all. The only commitments you make are ones that you make as a group. They can vary week to week. You are never obligated to play if you don’t want to.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Wow. I just listened to the first 45’ of episode 1 and it’s compelling. I’ll probably start to listen to/from work.

It was episode 1 of campaign 1. Vox Machina....welcome to a dwarf city.

What websites do the online gaming? I’d like to do some research.
Okay, let me give you a piece of advice if you start watching it. Orion Acaba (Tiberius) gets harder to watch the longer it goes. But hang in there. Early in the campaign, it all gets way better. Episode 27 is the shifting point.

I’m not sure about your second question. I play in a discord. I’ve never played online in any other way.

Ok, so, I'm hooked. I'm up to Vox Machina episode 15. I have heard that Tiberius gets booted off the show some point soon.

It has prompted me to try to get back into playing. I'm in an interesting spot. My life/family/work requirements prevent me from participating in a game in the flesh. And, I can't devote much time regularly with online zoom games, etc. Sooo, I'm trying to find a "play-by-post" type of game. However, things get interesting. I'm just young enough that I can learn the computer skills to play, but old enough that it's not second nature. I have a D&DBeyond account and have signed up for Discord.......but I have never been on Discord before. So, when I try to join the Discord games the mods are quite rude and don't want to help the old guy learn.

Ok, so, I'm hooked. I'm up to Vox Machina episode 15. I have heard that Tiberius gets booted off the show some point soon.

It has prompted me to try to get back into playing. I'm in an interesting spot. My life/family/work requirements prevent me from participating in a game in the flesh. And, I can't devote much time regularly with online zoom games, etc. Sooo, I'm trying to find a "play-by-post" type of game. However, things get interesting. I'm just young enough that I can learn the computer skills to play, but old enough that it's not second nature. I have a D&DBeyond account and have signed up for Discord.......but I have never been on Discord before. So, when I try to join the Discord games the mods are quite rude and don't want to help the old guy learn.
Tibs gets the boot not much further along, yeah. It becomes necessary. You’ve already seen some of when it gets bad (episode 11 is particularly rough for Orion), but it gets really bad by episode 27. The show is so much more bearable after that.

If you want to dm me your discord name, I can give you an invite to the game I’m in. They are good about helping new guys get set up, and there are plenty of SOP’s to help you along. We play on Roll20, not DnD beyond.

Hell yeah people still play DnD. Wizards of the Coast had their most successful year, financially, in years last year. The shutdown was great for DnD and Magic.

Reactions: J_Dee and WildcatNC
My group's been playing Mork Borg the past few weeks, just to try it out. It's a simple system that isn't great for a long-term campaign (PCs die very, very easily and as far as I know there's no ressurections), but as far as something to play for a few weeks as a break from our regular games, it's been a blast. :)

I ran Dungeon World campaign awhile back. Very good. It's way more sleek and lightweight compared to DnD. Keeps the game moving and doesnt bog down with mechanics. They also have a good source book on how to make magic items. Pretty neat.

I have no idea what D&D is but I'm pretty sure that we have some BD&SM guys on here.
dnd-dungeons-and-dragons.gif

Started playing D&D in the very early 80s. Still have some hardcover books (dungeon master's guide, player's handbook, deities & demigods and fiend folio and maybe another or 2).

I remember a group of us got into a similar style game based on the American West of the 1870s-ish. Can't recall the name of it and haven't run across it online before. Anyone remember something like that?
**EDIT** the game was Boot Hill.

Last edited:
Started playing D&D in the very early 80s. Still have some hardcover books (dungeon master's guide, player's handbook, deities & demigods and fiend folio and maybe another or 2).

I remember a group of us got into a similar style game based on the American West of the 1870s-ish. Can't recall the name of it and haven't run across it online before. Anyone remember something like that?
**EDIT** the game was Boot Hill.
Hey if you have any of those early editions, you should look them up. A lot of those in good condition go for a lot of money.

Yah Boot Hill sucked though, it was based on the DnD mechanics. A far better game was Deadlands.

Reactions: J_Dee
5E Undermountain's now the longest campaign I've ever played. We started Dragon Heist in the fall of 2018, and on Friday, we wrapped up level 15 of Dungeon of the Mad Mage -- "The Obstacle Course" -- which was really difficult. :b

I'd love to run 5E Dragonlance when we're finally through, but after Undermountain, my group wants to take a break from D&D for at least a year or so to play Warhammer, Cyberpunk, and some other systems that we've never played really extensively.

Reactions: GeraldV
5E Undermountain's now the longest campaign I've ever played. We started Dragon Heist in the fall of 2018, and on Friday, we wrapped up level 15 of Dungeon of the Mad Mage -- "The Obstacle Course" -- which was really difficult. :b

I'd love to run 5E Dragonlance when we're finally through, but after Undermountain, my group wants to take a break from D&D for at least a year or so to play Warhammer, Cyberpunk, and some other systems that we've never played really extensively.
I’ve got some friends that love the old school feel of ACKS, if they’d prefer earlier D&D.

I’ve got some friends that love the old school feel of ACKS, if they’d prefer earlier D&D.

I'd never heard of ACKS before. I just checked out some reviews and I'd love to try it (AD&D 2E was my intro to tabletop RPGs and even though I haven't played it for about 20 years, I still remember it well) but with all of the games that we'd like to try, it would probably take us years to get to it.

Reactions: GeraldV
For a dumb, fun, fast change of pace, I personally am a fan of mutants and masterminds. They’ve got a great, simple system.

I’ve been in an IRL since 2020 myself. Started as Icespire Peaks, but went off rails. We are level 8, know the identity of the full campaign BBEG, and the dragon still isn’t dead lol. Poor Phandalin.

Anyone keeping up with the current campaign of Critical Role? I'm liking it thus far.
I’m caught up save for last night’s episode. I think it’s a more interesting plot than previous years, but I’m not as invested in most of the characters as I usually am.

I’m caught up save for last night’s episode. I think it’s a more interesting plot than previous years, but I’m not as invested in most of the characters as I usually am.

I am. I think it's because we've now been with the cast for so long that I feel like I know their characters.

A heads-up if anyone here has an Ollie's Bargain Outlet nearby: Ollie's has both the 5E D&D terrain case and the 5E D&D creature token case for $2.99 each, which is a steal considering that they each originally retailed for around $60. I picked up a few of each to give to one of my nephews. :b

Reactions: WildcatNC
A heads-up if anyone here has an Ollie's Bargain Outlet nearby: Ollie's has both the 5E D&D terrain case and the 5E D&D creature token case for $2.99 each, which is a steal considering that they each originally retailed for around $60. I picked up a few of each to give to one of my nephews. :b
Actually went looking for those this evening and Corbin Ollie’s didn’t have any of them.

• Sad
Reactions: WildcatNC and J_Dee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT