ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd on Pope

Dec 10, 2023
Bob's Country Bunker
Don’t like Cowherd but he’s as mainstream media as you can get. Anyway here was his take.

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good young coaches gotta come from somewhere so the idiots calling Barnhart need to relax.
- If he can win 23 at BYU, he can win 28 at UK.
- Good personality
- Fun style
- Took Jay Wright forever to succeed
- Saban didn’t do that well at Michigan State and got fired from the NFL. (He’s wrong on that, corrected by various internet sleuths)
- What’s the problem?

Last edited:
That's all good, but it's more of him just loving the Pacific Northwest/Washington state.

Don’t like Cowherd but he’s as mainstream media as you can get. Anyway here was his take.

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good young coaches gotta come from somewhere so the idiots calling Barnhart need to relax.
- Good personality
- Fun style
- Saban didn’t do that well at Michigan State and got fired from the NFL.
- What’s the problem?
The anti-Calipari……I like that !!!!

I’m not against his general point but comparing jay wright at nova to someone coming into uk is miles apart. That being said, today’s game and environment is made for smart people with strategic plans. Not the guy that’s like ‘get me a bunch of 6-7 athlete types and I’ll be at the top’

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good personality
- Fun style
- What’s the problem?
He’s right, I mean if he can win at all at BYU in the Big 12 he can win here. I hope he gets the right players for his system that are also talented enough to satisfy the fanbase from a recruiting perspective. I know we won’t get top 3 classes anymore but if we can be top 10 while getting the right guys people will be happy.

I’m not against his general point but comparing jay wright at nova to someone coming into uk is miles apart. That being said, today’s game and environment is made for smart people with strategic plans. Not the guy that’s like ‘get me a bunch of 6-7 athlete types and I’ll be at the top’
He’s saying it took Jay Wright a long time to win an NCAA tournament game. As in 11 years.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good personality
- Fun style
- What’s the problem?
This is why Cowherd likes him too--which is a problem with Colin as he does this often--Pope is from the state of Washington like Colin. That's all Colin had to know about Mark to co-sign.

Not saying he didn't give some legit reasons but that literally is why with a guy like him.

Saban didn't get fired from the NFL either-he left Miami to go to Alabama so he's wrong about him again but what else is new? He said after they lost to Ole Miss in September game in '15 that Saban was a "problem" for Alabama and they were operating like a "dinosaur". From that moment on, Nick Saban played in the National Championship game in '15, '16, '17, '18, '20, '21, and won the SEC in '15, '16, 18, '20, '21, '23 with 3 National Championships and a record of 115-12.

Mark Pope can coach but his success will be dictated on how quickly he can adjust to where he's at. He's smart so that usually works out. Just how quickly will be found out soon too with his staff/roster. This is NOT a Billy Gillespie hire, confident of that, but we'll see if it's a great hire.

This is why Cowherd likes him too--which is a problem with Colin as he does this often--Pope is from the state of Washington like Colin. That's all Colin had to know about Mark to co-sign.

Not saying he didn't give some legit reasons but that literally is why with a guy like him.

Saban didn't get fired from the NFL either-he left Miami to go to Alabama so he's wrong about him again but what else is new? He said after they lost to Ole Miss in September game in '15 that Saban was a "problem" for Alabama and they were operating like a "dinosaur". From that moment on, Nick Saban played in the National Championship game in '15, '16, '17, '18, '20, '21, and won the SEC in '15, '16, 18, '20, '21, '23 with 3 National Championships and a record of 115-12.

Mark Pope can coach but his success will be dictated on how quickly he can adjust to where he's at. He's smart so that usually works out. Just how quickly will be found out soon too with his staff/roster. This is NOT a Billy Gillespie hire, confident of that, but we'll see if it's a great hire.
Cool. Call him and air your grievances. Sorry I bothered you.

I agree he is not a Billy G type hire but it is far from determined if he is or can be a great coach. What is certain is he is extremely smart. What he wasn't is an extremely gifted athlete. If he can't get extremely gifted athletes he could have an entertaining brand of basketball but never win anything. I was in college when Pitino was hire and it was fun to watch but he didn't win until he got some really talented players.

Reactions: track42

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good personality
- Fun style
- What’s the problem?
I agree with the statements but, Saban walked after Miami traded for Daunte Culpepper instead of drafting Drew Brees.

- Pope is a great coach
- He’s the anti-Calipari
- Good personality
- Fun style
- What’s the problem?

I remember liking Cowherd 20 years ago. Haven't listened to him much since he left ESPN but I always liked him. He is loud but that is what sells.

Watched the take you mention above and I think it is all fair.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Wasn't Calipari 47 when he came here?

Cal was in dog years when he came and the dog house when he left. Had he not had AD, TJ, DL, and Co who would just not lose UK would not have had the one ship with Cal at the helm. (Just venting and not at you.)

Cal did less with more than most any coach imaginable... All the billions of contract dollars in the nba amount to near nil...

Hahaha Thats All Folks GIF - Hahaha Thats All Folks Looney Tunes GIFs

Reactions: CGblue
Young? Pope is 4 years older than Calipari was when he came here.
It is off for people to describe Pope as a young coach in one sense...

...but he's also a late starter because he was nearly graduated from an Ivy League Medical School when he got the itch to come back to basketball.

I still hate Mitch's process for the hire, but tbf that's not your typical reason for "this guy hasn't hit it big yet"

What is wrong with you that I spelled it out twice and you still can’t get it? Young as far as big time jobs….New. Does that make any sense? If not, I can’t help you.
You comprehension of the english language is horrible, you said he was older than Cal plain and simple if you can't write a complex sentence that explains what you actually mean that is on you. Sir.

Actually….Make Pope is from Nebraska.

• Haha
Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Calipari was 50, Pope is 51. Either way first years will not be comparable. Cal brought in number one recruiting class, Pope will be lucky to field a full roster. But remember, Pitino's first class was "Unforgettable" and 14-14 and ineligible for post season, but one of the most loved classes ever. I will settle for an exciting brand of basketball and a bright future

Reactions: Jack2936
Calipari was 50, Pope is 51. Either way first years will not be comparable. Cal brought in number one recruiting class, Pope will be lucky to field a full roster. But remember, Pitino's first class was "Unforgettable" and 14-14 and ineligible for post season, but one of the most loved classes ever. I will settle for an exciting brand of basketball and a bright future
But Pitino didn't have the portal.Pope has to do better than 14 wins next year.

How you figure. Cal is 65 and was at UK 15 years. Pope is 51. So Pope is maybe a year older.

Remember, Pope played a professional career before he got into coaching so he didn’t start his coaching career until 2009. About 13 years after he graduated.

I like this take much better than the haters in the media say we should 'humble' ourselves and members here acting like we need their respect and validation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT