ADVERTISEMENT

Comparison Tournament Success For UK Coaches

Cal cost UK a perfect season in 2015.

He missed 2 tournaments, how many did Pitino miss?

Pitino coached for UK, Cal coaches for the draft.

There, end of discussion!!!
Cal is twice the coach Pitino is and has proved it in head to head meetings.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
“I watched from 93 on.”

So you were what in 93, 7 years old? I just can’t believe anyone who was old enough to have enjoyed the Pitino era at UK would say they’d take Cal over Pitino ”all day long.”

I never said Pitino won several. I pushed back on Cal over Pitino all day long. I just don’t see how that’s rational.
Pitino was great at UK however he changed his philosophy as evidence by his tenure at Louisville. Did you ever see Louisville play like the Pitino teams at Kentucky. Thought so.

You really are such a Cal hater little will matter, but to answer you:

Worst seasons: Rupp went 13-13 in 1967 with THREE returning AA in Dampier, Riley, Jaracz and 88% of the previous year’s scoring
Hall went 13-13 in 1974 with 5 upper class men who were Parade AA
Sutton went 13-19
Pitino went 14-14, I realize it was probation impacted
Tubby + BCG had 4 straight bad to very bad consecutive seasons

UK has had a lot of 1st game NCAAT losses/NIT losses
1950 lost to CCNY by 39 points

As for talent, every UK Coach has talent; if they didn’t that is on them.
You’re reaching with this garbage, especially when you consider Cal has had, by far, more talent and the benefit of AAU. Half the damn nba has played for Cal, yet he has 1 damn title and a bunch of really bad losses.

You’re trying to compare Pitino, in a year where UK was on probation, to Cal going 9-21 with 3 NBA players on his roster and even threw in Tubby's last 2 years, like somehow those two NCAAT TEAMS are worse than Cal's 2021 output. Unbelievable.

You don't need to be a Cal hater to see facts.

You’re reaching with this garbage, especially when you consider Cal has had, by far, more talent and the benefit of AAU. Half the damn nba has played for Cal, yet he has 1 damn title and a bunch of really bad losses.

You’re trying to compare Pitino, in a year where UK was on probation, to Cal going 9-21 with 3 NBA players on his roster and even threw in Tubby's last 2 years, like somehow those two NCAAT TEAMS are worse than Cal's 2021 output. Unbelievable.

You don't need to be a Cal hater to see facts.
You are a Cal hater and therefore refuse to look at facts.

Reactions: dlh331
You are a Cal hater and therefore refuse to look at facts.
I'm not a Cal hater, I just call it as I see it. If he coached for UK, instead of the NBA draft, he would have better stats here.

A UK coach should never put anything ahead of UK.

Pitino was great at UK however he changed his philosophy as evidence by his tenure at Louisville. Did you ever see Louisville play like the Pitino teams at Kentucky. Thought so.
Being at UK helped Pitino reach that next level of greatness, for sure. That’s why you never saw him duplicate it anywhere else. It’s why Cal has been better here than anywhere else. It’s why Tubby was better here than anywhere else.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm not a Cal hater, I just call it as I see it. If he coached for UK, instead of the NBA draft, he would have better stats here.

A UK coach should never put anything ahead of UK.
You put your hate for Cal above UK. Easy to see that. Enjoy.

Reactions: dlh331
Being at UK helped Pitino reach that next level of greatness, for sure. That’s why you never saw him duplicate it anywhere else. It’s why Cal has been better here than anywhere else. It’s why Tubby was better here than anywhere else.
If Pitino was so great it wouldn't matter where he coached. Cal made Pitino his whipping boy. Cal has been great everywhere he has been.

Silly discussion. I have not posted in it.
But I'm as guilty as everyone on this.

Since Rupp 1958, the 3 greatest runs in my UK life are:
...Joe B 1970s
...Rick 1990s
...Cal 2010s

I have 3 children.
They are all different.
But I love them equally.

Last edited:
Reactions: kl40504
“I watched from 93 on.”

So you were what in 93, 7 years old? I just can’t believe anyone who was old enough to have enjoyed the Pitino era at UK would say they’d take Cal over Pitino ”all day long.”

I never said Pitino won several. I pushed back on Cal over Pitino all day long. I just don’t see how that’s rational.

Head to head matchups and more final fours are two of the several reasons why. Same amount of championships so what did Pitino do here to make him so much better than Cal. Not opinions, facts.

Reactions: kl40504
Head to head matchups and more final fours are two of the several reasons why. Same amount of championships so what did Pitino do here to make him so much better than Cal. Not opinions, facts.
Pitino had more affairs at UK than Cal. He loved cheerleaders.

Reactions: BigBlueFan19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT