ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball is Broken

Interesting, that would be a challenge for Cal teams. It would be more interesting.

This comment always cracks me up. Matt Jones busted this myth on KSR last summer. Calipari has the same if not better of a schedule than Tubby or Pitino in the non conference. Add in the OOC tourney's it's even tougher.
What out of conference tourneys? Cal afraid to rack up early losses against lesser opponents.

AKA - out coached

The strength of schedule is just a misconception that the negative Nancy's like to promote but like most things has been proven wrong time and time again...

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
That would be great for UK, but not so great for the little schools that get paid big bucks to come to Rupp.

It could be done, but I think it would really hurt the low and mid major programs.
I get what you're saying but this is UK!!!! We should not be worried about the little schools. We're supposed to be welcoming tough opponents in an effort to prep for tournament play.

What out of conference tourneys? Cal afraid to rack up early losses against lesser opponents.

AKA - out coached
My fault, they arent technically tourneys. CBS sports classic, ACC/SEC Challenge, Champion's classic. These are all harder OOC games than most years under past coaches. Not bashing previous coaches, but to act like Cal doesn't schedule tough in the OOC is just factually incorrect.

Reactions: ORCAT
I get what you're saying but this is UK!!!! We should not be worried about the little schools. We're supposed to be welcoming tough opponents in an effort to prep for tournament play.
Not every game though. I will agree that we play waaaaaaay too many cupcakes. two or three is fine and expected. Especially if there's a connection and it pays to help these little schools. But for the love of goodness, stop scheduling sub 200 ranked teams. That is what has to stop.

Couldn’t we just get rid of most of the cupcakes and schedule better non-conference games? And get the games back on campus sites?
We're playing Kansas, Miami, one of UNC, OSU, or UCLA, the Gonzaga. Doesn't seem overly cupcakie to me.

AWESOME VIDEO!!!
Worth watching!
It would be awesome if they had an early season "Glory Gauntlet." 8 team blueblood tournament series in New York or Chicago each year (alternate venues). Three straight days of games.

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
UCLA
Kansas
Indiana
Michigan State
UConn

Do a tournament style series of game. Winners advance. Losers play each other, like they do in some other early-season tournaments.

Have it every year.

Participating schools would share the revenue.

I don’t think this would do much to change viewership. College football dominates that time of year, and I don’t really see college basketball doing much to ever change that

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not every game though. I will agree that we play waaaaaaay too many cupcakes. two or three is fine and expected. Especially if there's a connection and it pays to help these little schools. But for the love of goodness, stop scheduling sub 200 ranked teams. That is what has to stop.
Like, I would be okay with those teams (( if )) Cal did them specifically to work on things. But the man never has a visible plan.

It would be awesome if they had an early season "Glory Gauntlet." 8 team blueblood tournament series in New York or Chicago each year (alternate venues). Three straight days of games.

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
UCLA
Kansas
Indiana
Michigan State
UConn

Do a tournament style series of game. Winners advance. Losers play each other, like they do in some other early-season tournaments.

Have it every year.

That should be what the Champions Classic is. However, most of those teams usually end up participating in another early tourney like Maui, so I would see the hesitation to do both in a month.

But yes, this would be a blast.

We're playing Kansas, Miami, one of UNC, OSU, or UCLA, the Gonzaga. Doesn't seem overly cupcakie to me.
By college basketball standards it isn’t. It’ll probably be one of the tougher OOC schedules in the country. But there will still be 7 glorified practices that nobody wants to watch.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
UCLA
Kansas
Indiana
Michigan State
UConn

Have it every year.

Very interesting. It would definitely be a lot of fun.

Football does this too. None of the big programs want to take more tough games than necessary.
They almost have to under the current playoff structure. You can lose 10 games in the regular season in basketball, but still get in the tournament and make a run. In football, you better not have more than one loss, and sometimes even one is too many.

My fault, they arent technically tourneys. CBS sports classic, ACC/SEC Challenge, Champion's classic. These are all harder OOC games than most years under past coaches. Not bashing previous coaches, but to act like Cal doesn't schedule tough in the OOC is just factually incorrect.
I agree with you to a point. But, we have so few of these marquee games at Rupp, just a bunch of cupcakes instead.

I do think our ooc schedule will feel different next year, especially with the SEC/ACC challenge not happening during league play, like the SEC/B12.

The Zaga game will help too. In the past it seems we play the champions classic and then have a few weeks of straight cupcakes. I think those two games will help stretch out the ooc schedule with solid teams, with the cupcakes mixed in.

I agree with you to a point. But, we have so few of these marquee games at Rupp, just a bunch of cupcakes instead.
That honestly was debunked by Matt as well on KSR. Wish I could remember which episode. Ryan was complaining about the OOC at Rupp and Matt went back through the years and compared and it's about the same or a little better. Everyone wants home games against Duke, UNC, Mich St, Louisville, Kansas every year and that's just not feasible.

This comment always cracks me up. Matt Jones busted this myth on KSR last summer. Calipari has the same if not better of a schedule than Tubby or Pitino in the non conference. Add in the OOC tourney's it's even tougher.
Nobody ever doubted Coach Rupp’s or Coach Hall’s schedules

The biggest issue isn't the cupcakes, but the fact that all the big boy games people are interested in seem are neutral site games.

Kentucky North Carolina should be played in Durham and Lexington PERIOD? NOT CHICAGO or wherever the hell for the "Champions Classic." which isn't even a tournament so there is no need for all the teams to play at the same site.

Here's an idea, kick off the season with simulcast games from Cameron Indoor, Rupp, Dean Smith, wherever Villanova plays because they're more of a champion than anyone recently...

College campuses, student sections...that's how you start a damn COLLEGE basketball season...not Kentucky v Kansas in Chicago...dumbest damn thing I've ever seen.

A lot of that is on media, so it's not solely Cal although he and other coaches could do more to fight for big games on campus. I mean UK UCLA in MSG, what f'ing sense does that make?

Campus and city leaders in the hometowns should be pissed too because that's big money! Why does London get Michigan and UK?...BBN in Ann Arbor or Wolverines in Lexington is a windfall for each town...hotels, bars, stores...

Take Bellarmine and Howard to London and the United Center. Rupp and Lexington can make more off a comic con, or bass fishing expo...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT