ADVERTISEMENT

Cocaine Bear

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/cocaine-bear-elizabeth-banks-keri-russell-1235010081/

Elizabeth Banks’ upcoming movie “Cocaine Bear” has added several A-list cast members.

Keri Russell, Ray Liotta, O’Shea Jackson, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Alden Ehrenreich have joined the film about a real-life 175-pound bear who died of an apparent cocaine overdose. According to a 1985 New York Times article, the bear was found dead among 40 opened containers with traces of cocaine, apparently dropped from a plane by a convicted drug smuggler because he was carrying too heavy a load while parachuting.

Jimmy Warden wrote the script for the “character-driven thriller inspired by true events that took place in Kentucky in 1985.”

It's being filmed in Ireland, not Lexington, unfortunately.

I wonder who's going to play Thornton.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
Thanks for the recommendation. Plan on checking out ASAP.

5d2f6f0921e18971a787b4dd76c14f57_640x640.jpg

One point..the parachute actually opened because his body showed no signs of impact trauma.

His secondary chute was open and with him, his primary chute was located not too far away, but not with him. Experts say that means something went wrong with the primary one. It's the only reason you get rid of a primary and deploy a secondary.
So at some point, he had chute problems, and by the time he got his back up chute deployed, it was too late. So while he didn't free fall, it was too fast of a fall for a human to survive.
A couple hundred pounds of coke made the ride down even faster.

It would be cool if Cocaine Bear premieres at Regal in Hamburg, and it would be extremely cool if the Kentucky Fun Mall folks brought ol' Pablo Escobear out to the show. Neither's likely, but I can hope. :)

Here's my standard bitch about The Bluegrass Conspiracy -- that story is way too good for that book to be so poorly written.

I’m actually reading it now. The story is riveting. The writing is meh.

I’m an editor by trade. How in the hell can a book that’s been republished so many times contain such a high volume of typos and poorly constructed sentences?

The trailer is pretty amazing in a very dumb Snakes on a Plane kind of way. I'm sure the best stuff in the movie is in that 2+ minutes but it has the makings of a cult classic if you're into schlocky old school animal attack movies.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Looks like one of those movies that will have a lot of audience participation.

Saw “Violent Night” this afternoon and “Cocaine Bear” was one of the previews. It looks like it will be rather silly but I’ll catch it on a Sunday afternoon matinee to waste some time.

Hilarious how the producers are pushing it as a true story. The only thing thats fact is how a bear was found dead from eating plastic bags of cocaine dropped from a plane.

There was no witnesses, no stories, no mayhem. Might as well been a squirrel.

Remember that movie ‘dreamer’ that was shot in and around Lexington? It had Kurt Russell, Dakota fanning, and kris kristotferson. That movie was ‘inspired by a true story’. The only thing true about it was that a horse had the same injury as a horse in real life. And they reference the real horse in the movie

I was excited to see this movie come out but then the trailer looked like a comedy. I wanted to see the scandal inside the police dept/government/drug dealers/etc. Might wait for it to come to streaming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT