ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Julius Erving dunking on big guys

Got to see him play in the old ABA days. Came to Louisville to play the KY Colonels at Freedom Hall. I remember asking my dad if Erving ever missed a shot. It didn't seem like he did that day.
I did as well. Saw him at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island when he played for the Nets. Our entire Biddy basketball league, ages 9-12, went to see him in action.

Saw him many many times at Freedom Hall. He was just spectacular. I will review the video again but the dunk over Gilmore was unreal and I was at that game. If the same one I am thinking of it happened right at the first half buzzer and took the wind out of everyone’s sails. The Colonels had a nice lead and it dwindled quickly when Doc took over. He is top 5 in my book of all time best. Thanks for posting the video.

I was a kid when he was dominating the ABA then NBA.

My older brothers and their friends told me that he was able to hold the ball so easily because he had cut all the webbing in between all of his fingers (including thumb) to make his hands spread bigger.

I don't know whether they were just messing with me or whether they believed it themselves. It was a good urban legend at the time.

Watching that clip , I don't ever recall Bob Trumpy calling an NBA game. Some good old memories there. I had a few Converse Dr J posters on the wall as a kid.

I was a kid when he was dominating the ABA then NBA.

My older brothers and their friends told me that he was able to hold the ball so easily because he had cut all the webbing in between all of his fingers (including thumb) to make his hands spread bigger.

I don't know whether they were just messing with me or whether they believed it themselves. It was a good urban legend at the time.
There was a GQ story on Dr J. His hand took up an entire page of the magazine and it wasn’t nearly fully spread open. Dude had some huge mits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT