ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs. Gators - SEC Tourney

STUCKNBIG10

All-SEC
Aug 30, 2006
Game is today at 5:30 PM (assuming early games don't go long). Florida has had a great year, but not a dominant team by any stretch. The test for UK will be can they get any mileage out of a pitcher other than AJ. Overall, I like the matchup for UK and certainly prefer to play UF over teams like Miss State, LSU, or Ole Miss.

Double-elimination, so if UK wins today, we are sitting pretty.

UK is the only unranked team left in the SEC tournament. Maybe we can keep that alive by coming back tomorrow and being able to say that we're the only unranked team remaining in the winner's bracket!

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:
Game is today at 5:30 PM (assuming early games don't go long). Florida has had a great year, but not a dominant team by any stretch. The test for UK will be can they get any mileage out of a pitcher other than AJ. Overall, I like the matchup for UK and certainly prefer to play UF over teams like Miss State, LSU, or Ole Miss.

I agree with your assessment, yes Florida is very good, but certainly not dominant. I like our chances, maybe that 17-1 trouncing we gave them back in April will be in the back of their minds.
We need at least 5 or 6 innings out of Kyle Cody today, and I believe he will pitch well. UF starting a Righty, which favors our left handed heavy lineup.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:

I agree with your assessment, yes Florida is very good, but certainly not dominant. I like our chances, maybe that 17-1 trouncing we gave them back in April will be in the back of their minds.
We need at least 5 or 6 innings out of Kyle Cody today, and I believe he will pitch well. UF starting a Righty, which favors our left handed heavy lineup.
Just to clarify, UF is a tough team, but when I look at the bracket, the teams that scare me most are LSU and Ole Miss. They're both in the other bracket. South Carolina has a great program and is lucky as hell, but they have battled injuries all year so they scare me less than the two mentioned above. To me, the scariest team in UK's bracket is Mississippi state. they're red hot, and our former skipper has them playing well.

Arkansas beat Ole Miss 2-1. No problem with the game running late so our game will start on time at 5:30

Cats draw first blood. Tom double scores Cousino. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out.

Make that 2-0, Bernal with a sac fly. Headed to bottom 1st
This post was edited on 5/21 5:57 PM by CoachZ77

Kentucky improves their lead to 4-1 in the top of the 3rd as Cousino is hit by a pitch and then Kuhn takes one yard over the left field wall. Very good start to the game for UK!

Florida's leadoff in the bottom half of the third reached on an chopper that found no man's land in the middle of the infield, but Ka'ai Tom then took away a base hit off a diving catch in left to get out number one. A chopper to Thomas moved the runner up, but gave UK the second out, and then Cody ended the inning with a strikeout.

4-1 going to the 4th.

Storm got a hitter's count as he worked it to 3-1, but he grounded out to short to give up the first out of the inning. Thomas then burned the right fielder by going the other way to get a 1 out double. Reida's nose is scabbed up pretty well from sliding into home yesterday, but Reida had no problem seeing the ball hit a 2-0 pitch to second to move Thomas up 90 feet to third. Shelby put a good bat on it, but it was not quite enough as it died on the warning track in right for a loud out number 3. Shore has already thrown 75 pitches.

4-1 going to the bottom half of the 4th

Cody got an easy first out on a 1 pitch ground out to second. Thomas Bernal then ran down a pop fly in foul territory. He fought the sun and Bernie won for our number 2. Kyle Cody is up there dealing throwing fastballs clocked as high as 99!! Cousino then runs down a very shallow pop up to end the inning in order. Cody is really doing outstanding today. The longer he goes the better off we will be.

Cousino hit a screamer, but Powers knocked it down at first and outraced Couzy to first for the first out. Kuhn is really getting jammed on his third at bat, and Shore caught the inside corner to sit him down for out number 2. AJ Reed with a big time hit to deep left center. A stand up double that was gone easily in most parks. He got all of that first pitch fastball. Tom slapped one into left, but it found a glove to end the threat and the inning.

4-1 UK going to the bottom half of the 5th.

What is the point of this silly tournament being double elimination for just two games? Might as well just stick with single elimination. I hate that you can beat a team in the DE rounds and then they can come back and beat you on Saturday just once and they advance.

Kyle Cody defended himself quite well by sticking his glove in front of his face and in doing so he picked up the first out of the inning. He might want to check his pants after that one. Very scary comebacker, and he definitely didn't look as calm as Reed catching the one yesterday. Cody then got a swinging strikeout on a very pretty 12-6 curve. Kuhn then took a weak dying quail over at third for the final out of the inning. Again, very efficient for Cody. Have to love that.

Going to the 6th and we're still locked at 4-1 with the Cats in the lead.

Bernal worked the count pretty well but had a forgive me swing on a low pitch and he connected sending a weak chopper to third for the first out of the inning. Wilson drew just the second walk of the game. The hit and run was on but Thomas swung through the pitch and was very lucky that Storm beat the tag by the smallest of margins. Shepherd now working out behind the fence, possibly looking to come in soon. Shore went over 100 pitches in the Thomas at bat. Thomas hit another ball well, but just couldn't find the gap for out number two. Logan Shore's day ends after the Thomas fly out. Shore is the second best starter in the SEC with a 1.69 ERA. The fact that UK put up 4 earned runs on him is huge. Kirby Snead now coming in for relief. Reida took the first pitch the other way, but Reed in left was able to run it down for out number 3.

4-1 going to the bottom of the 6th.

Florida worked the bases loaded but UK only gave up 1 run after going to Shepherd.

4-2 now in the top of the 7th.

Sorry that it is not detailed like the others, but I am trying to make dinner as well. haha

I'll help you out comeback. Bottom of 7th, first batter got a base hit up the middle. Shep struck out 2nd batter. The next batter hit a grounder and they got the lead runner. UK got the final out by throwing out the UF player trying to steal 2nd.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thank you gentlemen. UK failed to scratch in the top of the 8th. I believe they got one hit, but never really made a threat.

Shepherd continues to struggle on the mound as he walked the leadoff hitter. He worked an 0-2 count before finally running the count full and giving up a base hit to put runners on first and second. Henderson should have been able to tell (IMO) that Shepherd just does not have it today, but he continues to stick with him here in the bottom of the 8th. Shepherd has thrown only 3 first pitch strikes in 9 at bats up to this point. Not a recipe for success. The off speed stuff has definitely not been there and the fastball hasn't been especially sharp. Nonetheless, as I type this Shepherd gets the 3 hole hitter Bader to reach for a pitch and he grounds into a 6-3 double play! Runner on third with 2 outs. Shepherd then makes a ass out of me by getting a ground ball to Shelby to end the threat!!

UK going to the 9th with a 4-2 lead!!

Would love to see us at least put up 1-2 more here and get a little insurance.

This post was edited on 5/21 8:29 PM by Comebakatz3

Florida has men on 1st and 2nd with 1 out and couldn't get anything. Still 4-2 going to the 9th.

By the way, Florida went to Ryan Harris in the top of the 8th to face Micheal Thomas and he continues to pitch here in the top of the 9th. Reida puts good wood on a fastball to start the 9th, but in this big park it is nothing but a routine fly ball. Shelby runs the count full against Harris and then takes ball four low to get a base runner for the boys in blue. Cousino continues to see the ball pretty well as he battles with Harris fouling off multiple pitches before getting an unlucky break on a rip down the first base line that Powers was able to bring in. Powers stepped on first and then got Shelby in a run down, but Shelby was luckily able to slide under a tag to get back to first safely. Florida now going to righty Justin Shafer to face Kuhn. Not sure what Max was looking for but he got a fastball about as pretty as it could be on a 2-2 count and he just watched it go by to end the inning.

4-2 going to the bottom of the 9th. As far as I know Shepherd is still coming to the mound for UK.

Shepherd does take the mound for the 9th and he gets Madsen to start the inning with a ground out to third. Little scary on that ground out as the play was probably a bit closer than it needed to be. Shepherd now throwing strikes, five in a row, before trying to get Powers to chase a pitch high on an 0-2 count. His 6th strike of the inning was a big hook that Powers whiffed on to strike out. Thomas had to scoop it up and throw him out at first, but it was a can of corn. Shepherd tried working the corners but couldn't get the call and ran up a 3-0 count before throwing his first strike down Broadway, and then jamming Alonso to foul one off. With the score 4-2 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning Shepherd worked a 3-2 count and battled with Alonso before getting him to check swing chase on a high fast ball to strike him out!!!

UK ADVANCES!!! 4-2!!!

We will face the winner of MSU and USC tomorrow night at 8pm.

Haha I kept forgetting that I am a few beats behind everyone else because I am watching the game and listening to the radio. So I had to pause and delay the game to somewhat sync up with the radio on my computer.

YEAH BABY ! Cats over the top seeded Gators 4-2. Now await the winner of USC and Miss. State tomorrow evening, what a job the past 2 days by UK beating 2 solid ball clubs.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
Haha I kept forgetting that I am a few beats behind everyone else because I am watching the game and listening to the radio. So I had to pause and delay the game to somewhat sync up with the radio on my computer.
Thanks. You are the next best thing to being there!

As much grief as we call give Henderson, it looks like his strategy of pitching AJ Reed on short rest is paying off. Winning this second game using only two pitchers and having Shepherd get his first save of the year, it looks like things are swinging Kentucky's way for once. Let's hope the final game of the day is a 20 inning thriller.

I think the win over Florida was HUGE. The 2 wins in the SECT are against high caliber teams and should help UK's seeding in the NCAAT. I think at this point you go pitching by committee and save AJ for the NCAAT.

Cats will probably go with Dylan Dwyer tomorrow. They would still have Martin, Combs, Brown, Strecker, Salow, and Jack to use in relief.

Cats will probably go with Dylan Dwyer tomorrow. They would still have Martin, Combs, Brown, Strecker, Salow, and Jack to use in relief.
Well, Kendall Rogers is apparently reporting that Dwyer is out for the season with a broken hand? WTH?

That bad news aside, great W for UK. Have no idea who will pitch, regardless, the bats need to get going early and often.

Originally posted by DubyaT:

Well, Kendall Rogers is apparently reporting that Dwyer is out for the season with a broken hand? WTH?

That bad news aside, great W for UK. Have no idea who will pitch, regardless, the bats need to get going early and often.
Well, according to #UKbaseball, the Cats are starting Fr. RHP Zack Brown tonight against MSU. Kendall must be right.

This third game is why I was not a huge fan of Henderson going to Nelson and Shepherd. Both of those were pretty solid weekend starters and now we don't have either to go for us. Instead, we turn to Zack Brown, who will be pitching in only his fourth start of the season, and he will go against one of the hotter teams in baseball. Brown has not pitched more than 3 innings in 17 appearances this season. So, we will truly have to pitch by committee today. Dwyer is allegedly out so that takes away another viable arm. We're going to have to reach deep into our bullpen today and tomorrow and that might not be pretty. The two wins were great, and maybe the strategy was best to get those two wins, but it definitely looks like we could be in some trouble from this point on.

I guess Hendo figures he is playing with house money, Brown will be a dandy for us in the next couple of years. Right now he has a 5.85 era, allowed 32 hits over 20 innings given up 15 runs, 13 earned, walked 7 and struck out 14.
Maybe he will pitch the game of his life so far, and go 6 innings or so, then we may go inning by inning out of the pen.

I am disturbed about the fact that Dylan Dwyer broke his hand. Don't know how he got hurt. Earlier this year, we lost Chandler Sheppherd to a lacerated arm. Neither one of these injuries has ever been explained how they happened. It is one thing to be hurt playing on the field but no effort has been made to explained these injuries to the fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT