ADVERTISEMENT

Cats and the Dawgs Game 3

Salow should have never been in there, Lewis was doing fine..... BAD decision.

I was at the game and agree 100%. Really bad series for UK, will definitely hurt their national ranking. Hit into two double plays, plus got thrown out stealing twice(!). The one successful steal was with two outs and we steal third, not sure why that was necessary. Salow pitched very poorly today, maybe Friday took a lot out of him.

If Mingione/Belanger sent Lewis back out in the 8th and he gets hit around then people would've said he stayed in too long and Salow should've been brought in.

Lewis was at 100 pitches. He was doing well the final 3-4 innings he pitched, but UK took the lead and turned the ball over to a guy with a 0.43 ERA. I refuse to fault that decision.

I was at the game and agree 100%. Really bad series for UK, will definitely hurt their national ranking. Hit into two double plays, plus got thrown out stealing twice(!). The one successful steal was with two outs and we steal third, not sure why that was necessary. Salow pitched very poorly today, maybe Friday took a lot out of him.

Having a runner on third helps the hitter and puts pressure on the pitcher. The pitcher can't throw the pitch in the dirt for fear of giving up a run. So the hitter should theoretically see some better pitches.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If Mingione/Belanger sent Lewis back out in the 8th and he gets hit around then people would've said he stayed in too long and Salow should've been brought in.

Lewis was at 100 pitches. He was doing well the final 3-4 innings he pitched, but UK took the lead and turned the ball over to a guy with a 0.43 ERA. I refuse to fault that decision.
I agree. Hard to fault him going to a guy who had only given up 2 earned runs all year. However, would have liked to have seen Lewis go out there as if he gets into trouble then go to Salow to slam the door. Still, hindsight is 20/20.

I agree. Hard to fault him going to a guy who had only given up 2 earned runs all year. However, would have liked to have seen Lewis go out there as if he gets into trouble then go to Salow to slam the door. Still, hindsight is 20/20.
Yes...press onward. Just think we now must win both weekday games, sweep ut and win the Fla series to get our national seed.

There are nine additional ways to score from third that you can not from second with two outs.

JL should turn the ball over with a lead in the eighth inning every time!

IMO Collett was also a good call as it gives them a much better chance to tie the game with one swing than to wait around for two or more hits to tie it in the bottom of the ninth. Furthermore, this team is in the race because of their aggression, work ethic, and attention to detail like sac bunting. They are also fighting to win the SEC, for what seems like the first time ever, because of the decisions of our coach. We are not winning because we have the most talent as preseason predictions are largely based on talent evaluation.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
There are nine additional ways to score from third that you can not from second with two outs.

IMO Collett was also a good call as it gives them a much better chance to tie the game with one swing than to wait around for two or more hits to tie it in the bottom of the ninth. Furthermore, this team is in the race because of their aggression, work ethic, and attention to detail like sac bunting. They are also fighting to win the SEC, for what seems like the first time ever, because of the decisions of our coach. We are not winning because we have the most talent as preseason predictions are largely based on talent evaluation.
I do not agree with pinch hitting a Freshman with 1 hit all year, for an experienced senior, hitting over .300 who has been clutch all year. Collett is the most prone double play hitter on the team due to his inability to run. This seemed like an unnecessary desperation move, since there were runners on the corners with only 1 out.

Most of the time I would agree with you that we should have Lewis hand the ball over with a lead in the 8th, but the guy had given up just 5 hits and finished his 7th inning with three strikeouts (and just one walk), and really he only gave up 1 hit and 1 base runner in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th innings. So, he was pitching extremely well and was still likely pretty strong. The book says to take him out with around 100 pitches going to the 8th, but I think it might be better to send him out there on a very short leash. First sign of trouble, whether it is a walk or a hit, you take him out. I think that with Salow throwing almost 50 pitches on Friday it is stretching him to ask him to throw two full innings 48 hours later. If we have Pop I don't mind Pop being the guy in the 8th, but I really didn't like asking Salow to throw two there. Still, I can't really say it was a bad decision.

I think Collette was a terrible call. He's been to the plate 16 times and only gotten 1 hit. Albeit a homerun, it was still just one hit.

I do not agree with pinch hitting a Freshman with 1 hit all year, for an experienced senior, hitting over .300 who has been clutch all year. Collett is the most prone double play hitter on the team due to his inability to run. This seemed like an unnecessary desperation move, since there were runners on the corners with only 1 out.
That was a big head scratcher for me as well...I know you want Collett to get some clutch time , but I don't think that was it...does anyone know what his health issues are at this time because he looks like he really struggles when he has to run.

Di
Most of the time I would agree with you that we should have Lewis hand the ball over with a lead in the 8th, but the guy had given up just 5 hits and finished his 7th inning with three strikeouts (and just one walk), and really he only gave up 1 hit and 1 base runner in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th innings. So, he was pitching extremely well and was still likely pretty strong. The book says to take him out with around 100 pitches going to the 8th, but I think it might be better to send him out there on a very short leash. First sign of trouble, whether it is a walk or a hit, you take him out. I think that with Salow throwing almost 50 pitches on Friday it is stretching him to ask him to throw two full innings 48 hours later. If we have Pop I don't mind Pop being the guy in the 8th, but I really didn't like asking Salow to throw two there. Still, I can't really say it was a bad decision.

I think Collette was a terrible call. He's been to the plate 16 times and only gotten 1 hit. Albeit a homerun, it was still just one hit.
Didn't JL just recently pitch his first complete game of the year. That should be left up to the individual player sometime. Watching the game he really looked strong enough to try and finish the game, but hindsight is 20/20 and that combo of Lewis & Salow is one of the strongest in the country and sometimes stuff happens. Let's just hope it's a slight bump in the road and the team can bounce back because the bats weren't strong enough either.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
That was a big head scratcher for me as well...I know you want Collett to get some clutch time , but I don't think that was it...does anyone know what his health issues are at this time because he looks like he really struggles when he has to run.

I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but last weekend I was watching a game and under his pants you could definitely see that while coaching first base he was wearing one of the big knee braces that offensive linemen wear. So, I am sure that is hindering his mobility as well. Not sure where he is on his recovery, but as Black Diamond Cat said, having him up to bat there is a big time liability with anything in the infield basically being a double play possibility. Carson was a strong possibility to get on base there with an OBP of .407 and he is much harder to double up. Further, you would have then had Heady coming up, who has 7 home runs on the year, so, you still had a guy who has some power in the lineup hitting right after Carson.

I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but last weekend I was watching a game and under his pants you could definitely see that while coaching first base he was wearing one of the big knee braces that offensive linemen wear. So, I am sure that is hindering his mobility as well. Not sure where he is on his recovery, but as Black Diamond Cat said, having him up to bat there is a big time liability with anything in the infield basically being a double play possibility. Carson was a strong possibility to get on base there with an OBP of .407 and he is much harder to double up. Further, you would have then had Heady coming up, who has 7 home runs on the year, so, you still had a guy who has some power in the lineup hitting right after Carson.
Hell a few games back he hit a solid single to right field and was thrown out out first...you need to let the kids make the plays that have gotten us to this point and Carson is one of those guys.

You can disagree but the odds of getting three hits to tie it versus a big fly are much longer. Baseball is a game of odds and really opens the door to after the fact speculation. Same with Lewis! I am just gonna say this staff/team has been outstanding first time in a long time (ok ever) I have wanted to open the baseball board first! I'll take our coach over any SEC coach today. Our team was expected to compete to make the SEC tournament not for a national seed. That takes loads of great decisions by our staff.

Losing a series we should have won won't damper my enthusiasm for this team. GBB

Goin
You can disagree but the odds of getting three hits to tie it versus a big fly are much longer. Baseball is a game of odds and really opens the door to after the fact speculation. Same with Lewis! I am just gonna say this staff/team has been outstanding first time in a long time (ok ever) I have wanted to open the baseball board first! I'll take our coach over any SEC coach today. Our team was expected to compete to make the SEC tournament not for a national seed. That takes loads of great decisions by our staff.

Losing a series we should have won won't damper my enthusiasm for this team. GBB
G to reds - Yanks game tomorrow...will watch iu-UK on phone...several of us will be at filthy orange game friday

One of my favorite things about this board is that we frequently have great discussions about in game management and the game itself. We don't bash one another, coaches, or players. I hope that it stays that way regardless of our success.

Now, personally, I never like playing for the home run. To me, those come naturally and the more you press to get the home run the less likely you are to get it.

One of my favorite things about this board is that we frequently have great discussions about in game management and the game itself. We don't bash one another, coaches, or players. I hope that it stays that way regardless of our success.

Now, personally, I never like playing for the home run. To me, those come naturally and the more you press to get the home run the less likely you are to get it.
If Carson could have gotten on then I think Mahan was behind him and dosent he have 10 hrs on the year?..like that route much better.

Well I didn't bash anyone, instead posted about how much I like our team the coaches decisions and our possibilities. The discussion seemed a lil negative to me but maybe it was my experience on rafters bleeding over.

As for the big fly I think that's the way the game has gone especially with aluminum bats and as evidenced by the Yankees game setting the K record yesterday. Many of those swing and miss were playing long ball. Unfortunately, cats down 3 runs in the 9th is a huge obstacle with few good choices.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

So if your truly interested in decorum please go back and read the thread to determine who posted most closely to bashing coaches, players or others before you respond to my opinion which disagreed with yours.

So if your truly interested in decorum please go back and read the thread to determine who posted most closely to bashing coaches, players or others before you respond to my opinion which disagreed with yours.
I didn't mean for it to sound as though I was criticizing you. That was not my intent. I enjoy your positivity. I suppose my point was that while we may disagree, on this board there seems to be much more respect for opposing thoughts and opinions. And I suppose part of this was that you're happy about showing up here in the board and I like that people like you come to join the conversation .

I don't know of anyone here that really bashes coaches or players. I think there is criticism of decisions and play, but there is not bashing like you'll find on other boards.

Last edited:

Don't think anyone has lost their enthusiasm for this years' team, just frustrated losing a series we should have probably swept. If someone had told me as of 5-8-17 we would be 32-16 overall and 15-9 in the SEC, I would have been going bonkers.
Need to win over IU tomorrow, and take at least 2 of 3 from UT, and take care of NKU, before heading to Florida.

I think we woul
Don't think anyone has lost their enthusiasm for this years' team, just frustrated losing a series we should have probably swept. If someone had told me as of 5-8-17 we would be 32-16 overall and 15-9 in the SEC, I would have been going bonkers.
Need to win over IU tomorrow, and take at least 2 of 3 from UT, and take care of NKU, before heading to Florida.
I think all would love a sweep of the filthy orange...I think we need it at this point after last weekend?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT