ADVERTISEMENT

Carrington Valentine

Cobb4uk

Junior
Gold Member
May 18, 2019
Benton, ky
Congratulations on a great victory over "Them Cowboys" on their home turf, no less. I figure Coach McCarthy will be walked out the door. Will Jones hire Coach Bill, the former Patriot Coach? Wonder how much money Valenyine will make in the playoffs. Hope this will help our recruiting, sure want hurt it. Always good to see good things for our former players.

Interesting watching Valentine cover Bama's CD Lamb, one of the fastest players in the game, one on one, with press coverage, yet in our scheme he couldn't get within 10 yards of Vandy and UT receivers.

Valentine usually played backside man for us which let him showcase his skillset for the NFL.

It's amazing how fans just have such a weirdly negative perception of what we do on defense

Valentine usually played backside man for us which let him showcase his skillset for the NFL.

It's amazing how fans just have such a weirdly negative perception of what we do on defense
What is weird is how you run to every post to defend CMS and BW.

What is your connection to them? Because your perception of reality when it comes to defending them is just plain.........weird.

What is weird is how you run to every post to defend CMS and BW.

What is your connection to them? Because your perception of reality when it comes to defending them is just plain.........weird.

I criticize the staff all the time. They deserve plenty of it, just not for the things many people complain about.

So did Clemson's QB.

Is he "Weird" too?

Was Valentine on the field? Weak strawman

Reactions: Girthang
I criticize the staff all the time. They deserve plenty of it, just not for the things many people complain about.

Your post had to do with "what we do on defense". Valentine's play on Stoops' defense was why it is surprising how well he does in the Packers defensive scheme.

I just gave you an example of an opponent that had success against it to win a game and PUBLICLY stated how his coaches prepared his offense to win the game against it because it was something they saw us do NUMEROUS times on film.

So much for your PERCEIVED "strawman".

Interesting watching Valentine cover Bama's CD Lamb, one of the fastest players in the game, one on one, with press coverage, yet in our scheme he couldn't get within 10 yards of Vandy and UT receivers.
Man coverage was his strength n like you said he very rarely got to play it at UK…
Our D scheme needs to be modernized for sure!!!

Valentine wasn't on the field, yet we saw the same results of the prevent defense that we saw when he was on the field.

So, would you say that was personnel or scheme?

You just proved the point of my post. Thank you.

Reactions: catben
Your post had to do with "what we do on defense". Valentine's play on Stoops' defense was why it is surprising how well he does in the Packers defensive scheme.

I just gave you an example of an opponent that had success against it to win a game and PUBLICLY stated how his coaches prepared his offense to win the game against it because it was something they saw us do NUMEROUS times on film.

So much for your PERCEIVED "strawman".

Valentine wasn't on the field, yet we saw the same results of the prevent defense that we saw when he was on the field.

Our top 2 corners were hurt that last drive. This is all old news. Everyone did their job except one guy and it was the same guy who was a colossal failure all year. You can't blame the staff for lack of execution, which is what everyone wants to do. The part that makes even that quote more laughable about having time was the sack that literally happened the play before.

What you absolutely can and should do, is blame the staff for 1) not recruiting the position better and/or 2) tolerating 3 years of awful work from a guy which put the team in a position to fail when you had to play him in a pinch. Robinson was awful all year. He had no business ever being considered for even emergency duties. They should've prepped a safety for emergency nickel duty which could've let them slide into some cb if needed.

So I am more than willing to criticize coaching. In fact, my criticism is way worse than just a single play call. It was a coaching failure an entire season long that was entirely preventable. That's the question people should be asking instead of criticizing a single play call that was the correct call if people execute.

Our top 2 corners were hurt that last drive. This is all old news. Everyone did their job except one guy and it was the same guy who was a colossal failure all year. You can't blame the staff for lack of execution, which is what everyone wants to do. The part that makes even that quote more laughable about having time was the sack that literally happened the play before.

What you absolutely can and should do, is blame the staff for 1) not recruiting the position better and/or 2) tolerating 3 years of awful work from a guy which put the team in a position to fail when you had to play him in a pinch. Robinson was awful all year. He had no business ever being considered for even emergency duties. They should've prepped a safety for emergency nickel duty which could've let them slide into some cb if needed.

So I am more than willing to criticize coaching. In fact, my criticism is way worse than just a single play call. It was a coaching failure an entire season long that was entirely preventable. That's the question people should be asking instead of criticizing a single play call that was the correct call if people execute.
Talk about a strawman argument.

I'm not talking about a single play here. I'm talking about the scheme this coaching staff reverts to on defense every time we have a lead that almost always prevents us from winning games against any team that has a QB and one WR with a pulse.

And seeing Valentine's ability to cover top WRS in man coverage in the NFL after watching him line up 10-12 yards off LOS and then turn and run away from the play so as not to give up a big play, only confirms our inability to pass defend is more about scheme than it is about lack of talent. And that inability to close out games or even get off the field on 3rd and long starts with the ridiculous decision to only rush 3, almost never getting any pressure on the QB, while giving a good WR all the time he needs to find an open spot in the zone.

I think we can both agree that our scheme makes some of our best players appear to be less talented than they really are, for whatever reason.

Talk about a strawman argument.

I'm not talking about a single play here. I'm talking about the scheme this coaching staff reverts to on defense every time we have a lead that almost always prevents us from winning games against any team that has a QB and one WR with a pulse.

And seeing Valentine's ability to cover top WRS in man coverage in the NFL after watching him line up 10-12 yards off LOS and then turn and run away from the play so as not to give up a big play, only confirms our inability to pass defend is more about scheme than it is about lack of talent. And that inability to close out games or even get off the field on 3rd and long starts with the ridiculous decision to only rush 3, almost never getting any pressure on the QB, while giving a good WR all the time he needs to find an open spot in the zone.

I think we can both agree that our scheme makes some of our best players appear to be less talented than they really are, for whatever reason.

I don't agree on that at all. It's the opposite. As evidenced in that linked thread, I was Valentine's very few fans on this board since day 1. He came in for bossman (we played man most every down that year fyi) and looked great.

Next few years, personnel dictated we play zone. However to let Valentine showcase himself, we played him backside and let him man up. That's an incredibly player friendly approach to run something specific for that kid to improve his NFL chances.

He rewarded us with some great play. Fans, as they do, just grasp the negatives and focused on the two or three times he got beat and ignored he locked up his man 95% of the time. Where he got in trouble was hunting ints. Tennessee scorched him for that reason. Vandy got him once too. It is what it is when you have an aggressive man corner.

If you really understood football, you knew Valentine was excellent all along and would likely translate to the NFL. If you just focused on the times he got beat, you didn't see it. Most fans were the latter and apply the same outlook to most of our players and coaches.

I don't agree on that at all. It's the opposite. As evidenced in that linked thread, I was Valentine's very few fans on this board since day 1. He came in for bossman (we played man most every down that year fyi) and looked great.

Next few years, personnel dictated we play zone. However to let Valentine showcase himself, we played him backside and let him man up. That's an incredibly player friendly approach to run something specific for that kid to improve his NFL chances.

He rewarded us with some great play. Fans, as they do, just grasp the negatives and focused on the two or three times he got beat and ignored he locked up his man 95% of the time. Where he got in trouble was hunting ints. Tennessee scorched him for that reason. Vandy got him once too. It is what it is when you have an aggressive man corner.

If you really understood football, you knew Valentine was excellent all along and would likely translate to the NFL. If you just focused on the times he got beat, you didn't see it. Most fans were the latter and apply the same outlook to most of our players and coaches.
Oh, you mean back when Steve Clincscale was DB coach?
Is that when we suddenly changed our system because of personnel issues after he left for Michigan?

Did you see Michigan's DBs playing scared this year?? Or, any year since he took over their DBS??
"Clinkscale was hired in March 2016 as the defensive backs coach for the University of Kentucky Wildcats football team. He held that position from 2016 to 2020. Kentucky's defensive backs under Clinkscale led the SEC in passing defense in 2019 and 2020."

Your effort to deflect the deficiencies of this current defensive coaching staff is really interesting.

You still haven't answered my question as to why? How are you connected to this staff?

Every comment you make defending the downward trend of our defense sounds like they came right out of CMS mouth.

Stats don't lie. Quick question for you. Please answer truthfully and put your bias behind you.

Has our pass defense led the SEC in ANY category since Steve Clincscale left??

If not, why not?

And if you excuse that (again) to less talent, please tell me who is responsible for that???

Our best DBs have always been used in man situations, Valentine is no exception. Its true, even if man coverage is not our scheme.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Our best DBs have always been used in man situations, Valentine is no exception. Its true, even if man coverage is not our scheme.

Same with Max many times this season.

Oh, you mean back when Steve Clincscale was DB coach?
Is that when we suddenly changed our system because of personnel issues after he left for Michigan?

Clink left long ago. Other than available personnel through his recruiting, we didn't change our scheme because of him. We play man when we have the guys and don't when we don't. It's been that way from the beginning. Our defensive scheme changes every year to maximize results based on that year's roster. The flexibility of white and stoops on defense is actually pretty incredible.

The irony here is there exists a very real complaint to be made why we can't recruit better at the cb position. Collins should definitely be feeling heat for not recruiting and developing at the level we need. Yet for whatever reason that very legitimate complaint is eschewed in favor of grasping of straws and an otherwise inarticulable general dislike of the defense staff.

Reactions: rudd1 and BigTyrone
Same with Max many times this season.

Clink left long ago. Other than available personnel through his recruiting, we didn't change our scheme because of him. We play man when we have the guys and don't when we don't. It's been that way from the beginning. Our defensive scheme changes every year to maximize results based on that year's roster. The flexibility of white and stoops on defense is actually pretty incredible.

The irony here is there exists a very real complaint to be made why we can't recruit better at the cb position. Collins should definitely be feeling heat for not recruiting and developing at the level we need. Yet for whatever reason that very legitimate complaint is eschewed in favor of grasping of straws and an otherwise inarticulable general dislike of the defense staff.
Man, I don't even know this coaching staff. We are talking about scheme here, and recruiting, and developing, and coaching players.

Not liking a scheme doesn't mean that you don't like a person. For goodness sakes man.
And just because you like the person also doesn't make them a good coach.

Try to separate your personal feelings/emotions out of the discussion if that is even possible.

And stop putting words to things I didn't post. Like not liking the coaches.

Nice word salad, though.

lol.

Read it, again!

He told you what he did for a living: it ain’t football coaching.

@bigblueinsanity, how many professions spend time looking for “articulable suspicion?”
My guess would be a defense attorney. Probably public defender.....
Or a career politician.
Or, a coaches wife/girlfriend. (Hope they are not "professional").

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
My guess would be a defense attorney. Probably public defender.....
Or a career politician.
Or, a coaches wife/girlfriend. (Hope they are not "professional").
I picked up that distinctive term as a persecutor . . . I mean prosecutor . . . . in the 90’s and 00’s.

I still mispronounce it as Artiguable, I guess because I like to argue.

• Haha
Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT