ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down the Cats and Aggies

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Football season is just ten days old, but it already feels like mid-November to many. Following Kentucky's 35-10 run to start the USM game, the Cats were outscored a ridiculous 79-0 (and by two unranked football teams). Think about that for a second. UK returns to action this weekend, facing off against New Mexico State. The Aggies head to Lexington fresh off a 32-31 win over arch rival New Mexico. With any luck, maybe they'll overlook Kentucky [laughing]. Certainly, Kentucky can't overlook anybody. UK needed a minor miracle last year to beat EKU, and you can make a very good case that last years team was better than the version we've seen so far in '16. For Mark Stoops, his UK tenure is at a crossroads. Improved recruiting has yet to produce much of anything between the lines. Two humiliating losses to start the '16 campaign will likely result in tens of thousand of empty seats the rest of the way. There's still time to right the ship, but that time will have run out if the Cats fall this weekend. A loss to the Aggies would essentially end the '16 season.

Line: Kentucky -18

Series: This is the first meeting between Kentucky and New Mexico State

Television/Time: SEC Network/4pm Eastern

Kentucky offense vs. New Mexico State defense: Advantage Kentucky
Over the last six quarters, Kentucky's offense has been as bad as any offense at any level of any team in America. Even WITH the issues UK has at tackle, why this unit has struggled so badly is a mystery. I think Eddie Gran has done a piss poor job of figuring out how to get the football to his playmakers in the open field (or "in space" as it is referred to nowadays). How does CJ Conrad have only two targets through eight quarters? Gran's opening play call at Florida was an absolute joke, and it set the tone for the entire afternoon. You have a porous offensive line going against one of the nations best defenses, yet, you call a pass play with minimum protection? Yeah, Dew Barker got knocked into next week. Speaking of Barker, his performance against UF was historically woeful. You might never see a worse performance from a quarterback. It's on Gran to get Barker going. Then again, UK's QB was picked off on a WR screen (that's pretty rare). In this week's matchup, the Cats are facing a defense that's allowed over 400 ypg against two pretty poor football teams. In all seriousness, if UK's offense can't get going this week, they should forfeit their last nine games and save us the trouble. NMSU allowed over 200 yards rushing against New Mexico (nearly five yards per carry). Kentucky should be able to run the football at will against the Aggies. Boom Williams "should" get the football early and often. Hopefully, someone reminds Gran that he has one of college football's elite TE prospects. If you're NMSU, you have to put 7-8 in the box and force Barker to beat you. Clearly, Barker's confidence is shaken. I'd imagine that's the route we'll see the Aggie staff take. Best guess, UK puts up 35+ points and 400+ yards. If they don't, things are way worse than I could have ever imagined.

Kentucky defense vs. New Mexico State offense: Slight Advantage Kentucky
Giving this unit the edge over ANYBODY makes me nervous. Mark Stoops said he plans on being more involved with the defense as the season moves along. Not sure what that means, but it sure as hell can't hurt. No matter how involved he gets, the front seven isn't going to suddenly become more talented. Depth is non-existent on the DL. The LB's are still young and playing woeful football. The one guy I've enjoyed watching is Jordan Jones. The kid plays like he actually gives a rats ass! Wish more Cats would follow suit. The Aggies offense isn't high octane and SHOULD allow UK an opportunity to gain some much needed confidence. RB Larry Rose is a stud, but he hasn't played yet this season. QB Tyler Rogers seems like a mediocre passer at best. He runs the football on occasion, but I wouldn't really consider him much of a true "dual threat" (he's no Lamar Jackson...LOL). UK's secondary should matchup well with the NMSU receivers. NMSU does spread the field and use a ton of play action (same as almost everyone). This is a matchup that should allow Kentucky to get into its opponents backfield early and often. Last week, the Lobos totaled nine tackles for loss against NMSU. UK should be able to eclipse that number. NMSU had a tough time running the football against the Lobos (less than 3.0 ypc). As long as Kentucky can duplicate that, they'll be in good shape.

Special Teams: Advantage New Mexico State
NMSU Kicker Parker Davidson is 5-5 in FGA this season. Then again, he's missed two PAT's. Honestly though, I did almost no research on their special teams. No need to. UK's special teams is a train wreck. In week one, UK had a punt partially blocked and botched a field goal attempt. Last week, the Cats missed a short field goal attempt. In short, UK seems to screw something up almost every week.

NMSU will win if...they own the LOS on both sides. On defense, make Barker beat you.

UK will win if...Gran gets the running game going and the d-line lives in the Aggie o-backfield.

Prediction...Kentucky 48 New Mexico State 13...Cats finally cover!

Previous Picks (0-2 S/U, 0-2 ATS)
UK 31 USM 27
UF 23 UK 10

GBB!!!

Great write up as always UKErik. I think it is going to be a relief for both the fans and the team to get a victory this weekend. We need every confidence booster we can get at this juncture.

Reactions: UKErik
Thanks UKErik! As always, I look forward to your game breakdowns. I do think that this is a winnable game; however, I am not sure it will be as one sided as you forecast. - I hope it is. Go Cats!!

It's really simple, if this team runs for 200 yds on us it's over. No matter if we win or lose that stat has to be dealt with on Saturday.

Reactions: brianpoe and UKErik
We need to not only win but to destroy NMSU. If this turns out to be the EKU game from last year, it will be a disaster. This game can't be close for Stoops sake.

Football season is just ten days old, but it already feels like mid-November to many. Following Kentucky's 35-10 run to start the USM game, the Cats were outscored a ridiculous 79-0 (and by two unranked football teams). Think about that for a second. UK returns to action this weekend, facing off against New Mexico State. The Aggies head to Lexington fresh off a 32-31 win over arch rival New Mexico. With any luck, maybe they'll overlook Kentucky [laughing]. Certainly, Kentucky can't overlook anybody. UK needed a minor miracle last year to beat EKU, and you can make a very good case that last years team was better than the version we've seen so far in '16. For Mark Stoops, his UK tenure is at a crossroads. Improved recruiting has yet to produce much of anything between the lines. Two humiliating losses to start the '16 campaign will likely result in tens of thousand of empty seats the rest of the way. There's still time to right the ship, but that time will have run out if the Cats fall this weekend. A loss to the Aggies would essentially end the '16 season.

Line: Kentucky -18

Series: This is the first meeting between Kentucky and New Mexico State

Television/Time: SEC Network/4pm Eastern

Kentucky offense vs. New Mexico State defense: Advantage Kentucky
Over the last six quarters, Kentucky's offense has been as bad as any offense at any level of any team in America. Even WITH the issues UK has at tackle, why this unit has struggled so badly is a mystery. I think Eddie Gran has done a piss poor job of figuring out how to get the football to his playmakers in the open field (or "in space" as it is referred to nowadays). How does CJ Conrad have only two targets through eight quarters? Gran's opening play call at Florida was an absolute joke, and it set the tone for the entire afternoon. You have a porous offensive line going against one of the nations best defenses, yet, you call a pass play with minimum protection? Yeah, Dew Barker got knocked into next week. Speaking of Barker, his performance against UF was historically woeful. You might never see a worse performance from a quarterback. It's on Gran to get Barker going. Then again, UK's QB was picked off on a WR screen (that's pretty rare). In this week's matchup, the Cats are facing a defense that's allowed over 400 ypg against two pretty poor football teams. In all seriousness, if UK's offense can't get going this week, they should forfeit their last nine games and save us the trouble. NMSU allowed over 200 yards rushing against New Mexico (nearly five yards per carry). Kentucky should be able to run the football at will against the Aggies. Boom Williams "should" get the football early and often. Hopefully, someone reminds Gran that he has one of college football's elite TE prospects. If you're NMSU, you have to put 7-8 in the box and force Barker to beat you. Clearly, Barker's confidence is shaken. I'd imagine that's the route we'll see the Aggie staff take. Best guess, UK puts up 35+ points and 400+ yards. If they don't, things are way worse than I could have ever imagined.

Kentucky defense vs. New Mexico State offense: Slight Advantage Kentucky
Giving this unit the edge over ANYBODY makes me nervous. Mark Stoops said he plans on being more involved with the defense as the season moves along. Not sure what that means, but it sure as hell can't hurt. No matter how involved he gets, the front seven isn't going to suddenly become more talented. Depth is non-existent on the DL. The LB's are still young and playing woeful football. The one guy I've enjoyed watching is Jordan Jones. The kid plays like he actually gives a rats ass! Wish more Cats would follow suit. The Aggies offense isn't high octane and SHOULD allow UK an opportunity to gain some much needed confidence. RB Larry Rose is a stud, but he hasn't played yet this season. QB Tyler Rogers seems like a mediocre passer at best. He runs the football on occasion, but I wouldn't really consider him much of a true "dual threat" (he's no Lamar Jackson...LOL). UK's secondary should matchup well with the NMSU receivers. NMSU does spread the field and use a ton of play action (same as almost everyone). This is a matchup that should allow Kentucky to get into its opponents backfield early and often. Last week, the Lobos totaled nine tackles for loss against NMSU. UK should be able to eclipse that number. NMSU had a tough time running the football against the Lobos (less than 3.0 ypc). As long as Kentucky can duplicate that, they'll be in good shape.

Special Teams: Advantage New Mexico State
NMSU Kicker Parker Davidson is 5-5 in FGA this season. Then again, he's missed two PAT's. Honestly though, I did almost no research on their special teams. No need to. UK's special teams is a train wreck. In week one, UK had a punt partially blocked and botched a field goal attempt. Last week, the Cats missed a short field goal attempt. In short, UK seems to screw something up almost every week.

NMSU will win if...they own the LOS on both sides. On defense, make Barker beat you.

UK will win if...Gran gets the running game going and the d-line lives in the Aggie o-backfield.

Prediction...Kentucky 48 New Mexico State 13...Cats finally cover!

Previous Picks (0-2 S/U, 0-2 ATS)
UK 31 USM 27
UF 23 UK 10

GBB!!!
Erik, I'm really impressed. How in the world did you type all that with your fingers crossed?

I hope we win. And I would love to go on a run and win 6 this year. But if it's going to be 4 or less I would rather tank and have an embarrassing season that forces Mitch's hand so the next coach has some talent to work with off the bat. I'll never watch a game and cheer for us to get beat but it could always be a blessing in disguise much like BCG ruining a solid team with turmoil and then bowing out of the NIT.

My Redhounds are pretty good this year. Not like my old days 77-81 when we were great but they're pretty darn good this year.

I think their best team was in 55, THE state champions before there were any divisions. Calvin Bird and crew.

We helped them win that state title-----by NOT playing them, LOL, they used our game to schedule a Louisville school for more exposure, whom the beat handily, so it worked. Smartest thing our coach ever did, not having us play them that year. We had tied them the year before in a big "upset", (not sure you can have an upset in a tie game) played on the golf course, and then they upset Pineville the next week that had been ranked #1 most of the year. Pineville was a very small school with a BIG recruiting budget, it might have rivaled UK's in mitch's stingy (in terms of foootball support) years, LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Scary anytime UK is multi touchdown favorite, and with the start of this season maybe even more so.

When you think about it were only about 50/50 in the Stoops era winning with any real margin in out of conference games against Non BCS teams .... Tennessee Martin Miami, Alabama State and Charlotte were yawners....but.

Fell behind La Monroe by double digits
Slogged around for 3 hours to beat Ohio
Allowed La-Lafayette to come back from 20 down
Of course the EKU miracle comeback....by us

So although lord knows we need a sharp convincing win on Saturday, history over the last four years shows its a coin flip if it will happen.

Rb Rose for NMSU os listed as doubtful for Sat. He is the one player I thought would give UK fits.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think their best team was in 55, THE state champions before there were any divisions. Calvin Bird and crew.

We helped them win that state title-----by NOT playing them, LOL, they used our game to schedule a Louisville school for more exposure, whom the beat handily, so it worked. Smartest thing our coach ever did, not having us play them that year. We had tied them the year before in a big "upset", (not sure you can have an upset in a tie game) played on the golf course, and then they upset Pineville the next week that had been ranked #1 most of the year. Pineville was a very small school with a BIG recruiting budget, it might have rivaled UK's in mitch's stingy (in terms of foootball support) years, LOL.
The Bird boys were very special. Lots of UK ties. Calvins and Rodgers (UK football) nephew and Jerrys (UK basketball) son, Steve was there my first year. The old stories make Calvin sound like an amazing player.

Rb Rose for NMSU os listed as doubtful for Sat. He is the one player I thought would give UK fits.

Looks like NMSU has 3 starters out:

Rose - their best their
starting linebacker
starting olineman

So sad when we have to be interested in a small school's injury report...

Reactions: Nuke99m
I'd go so far to say that if Kentucky loses any of the next 4 games with the exception of Alabama, Stoops should be terminated the next day.

Understand the frustration, but what's the rush? Unless there is someone who is not currently coaching a football team that you covet as a replacement for Stoops, you're not going to really begin the coaching search until November 27th.

Give this team a chance to get to six wins. If the Coach needs to be fired, a seventh loss will come soon enough. At that point, you can begin calling for him to be fired immediately.

Kentucky needs to play hard win this game, I'm sure NMSU looks at this as a winnable game, as for Kentucky being an 18 point favorite, I wouldn't want to be making the odds on any game Kentucky plays. We will see Saturday what kind of heart and pride they have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT