No. 1 Wake Forest vs. No. 16 Alabama
Texas vs. No. 8 Stanford
No. 5 LSU vs. No. 12 Kentucky
Southern Miss vs. Tennessee
No. 2 Florida vs. No. 15 South Carolina
Duke vs. No. 7 Virginia
Oregon vs. Oral Roberts
No. 14 Indiana State vs. TCU

Assuming these are correct my question is how did the NCAA decide which teams to pair against each other? Specifically it doesn't appear fair that a #5 LSU is paired against #12 UK while an unranked Oregon goes against ORU or a #14 Indiana St faces an unranked TCU, etc.

Reactions: dckala2
Per ESPN these are the super regional pairings:

Texas vs. No. 8 Stanford
Duke vs. No. 7 Virginia
Oregon vs. Oral Roberts

Assuming these are correct my question is how did the NCAA decide which teams to pair against each other? Specifically it doesn't appear fair that a #5 LSU is paired against #12 UK while an unranked Oregon goes against ORU or a #14 Indiana St faces an unranked TCU, etc.

It's a bracket. The winner of the number 1 regional will play the winner of the 16 regional. 2 regional winner would play 15, and so on. The unranked teams are there because they won the regional, beating the corresponding ranked team. For instance, Tennessee beat 4th ranked Clemson and Southern Miss beat 13th ranked Auburn. So, the two unranked play as the 4 v 13 matchup. Hope that makes sense. They don't reseed. It's just set up as a bracket and you get who you get out of the regional you're paired against.

It's a bracket. The winner of the number 1 regional will play the winner of the 16 regional. 2 regional winner would play 15, and so on. The unranked teams are there because they won the regional, beating the corresponding ranked team. For instance, Tennessee beat 4th ranked Clemson and Southern Miss beat 13th ranked Auburn. So, the two unranked play as the 4 v 13 matchup. Hope that makes sense. They don't reseed. It's just set up as a bracket and you get who you get out of the regional you're paired against.
Exactly. It's no different the ncaa basketball tournament. If a 15 seed beats a 2 seed....than the somebody has to beat a 15 seed to reach the sweet sixteen.

There's nothing unfair about it. If anything, it's the definition of fairness.

Everybody probably knows but me LOL, is the tourney single elimination from here on?

Per ESPN these are the super regional pairings:

Texas vs. No. 8 Stanford
Duke vs. No. 7 Virginia
Oregon vs. Oral Roberts

TCU was the pre season pick to win the B12. They had injuries to their pitching staff then all got healthy in time for the B12 tnmt. They are underrated. They are clearly a top 10 team right now more like top 5. If they all stayed healthy then the Blue Bat Cats would be going to the Fort Worth super regional. That would have been a tougher draw than the Baton Rouge super regional. Did you see what Froggy did to Piggy? I pick Froggy to go to the Omaha final 2. Who's gonna beat them right now?

the pre-determined pairings are fairly recent, i believe - back in 2017, they would pair the regional winners up geographically based on seeds. for us, that meant if we were to make the postseason, we would almost be guaranteed to end up @louisville for either the regional, or if we hosted and won, @louisville for the super regional. given the way the UL program was rolling, we almost always had to go through louisville to ever have a shot at omaha. the new configuration helps avoid that; though, of course, @LSU is probably about as tough as you can get anyways.

TCU was the pre season pick to win the B12. They had injuries to their pitching staff then all got healthy in time for the B12 tnmt. They are underrated. They are clearly a top 10 team right now more like top 5. If they all stayed healthy then the Blue Bat Cats would be going to the Fort Worth super regional. That would have been a tougher draw than the Baton Rouge super regional. Did you see what Froggy did to Piggy? I pick Froggy to go to the Omaha final 2. Who's gonna beat them right now?
Indiana State, as a seed/regional host, should be the super regional host since Arkansas failed to advance, but the school is not prepared to host next weekend. I think that is so sad for their fans that the school is screwed them over and given up the opportunity to have the super regional at home because they have the special olympics in Terre Haute next weekend. I think the NCAA should tell seeds 9-16 to be prepared to host the supers in case the host team on the other side of your bracket doesn't advance.

Reactions: K86
Everybody probably knows but me LOL, is the tourney single elimination from here on?
The super regionals are best 2 out of 3. The 8 SR winners go to Omaha where it is divided into 2 groups. Each group of 4 plays in a double elimination like in the regionals, then the two group winners play best 2 out of 3 for the national championship. So any team can survive a loss, but it is better to keep on winning.

Reactions: cat888
The super regionals are best 2 out of 3. The 8 SR winners go to Omaha where it is divided into 2 groups. Each group of 4 plays in a double elimination like in the regionals, then the two group winners play best 2 out of 3 for the national championship. So any team can survive a loss, but it is better to keep on winning.

Yep, and unlike the regional....the chances of coming back from the loser's field in a cws bracket is almost hopeless. You better hope you win the first two games.....

I would freaking love cats to play a best of 3 for the title. Not getting ahead we face a tough ass LSU. If we can some how find a way to win the first I love the chances. GO CATS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT