ADVERTISEMENT

Blocking Back Deone Walker

I doubt we will but I think it would be a decent idea for a goal line package. Similar to how UGA used their big D linemen a few years ago

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I doubt we will but I think it would be a decent idea for a goal line package. Similar to how UGA used their big D linemen a few years ago

Would bring Davis and Carter in on short and goal. Carter was a TE in HS and actually caught a TD pass in one game on a back out of backfield deal. But Walker would fit the same mold as Davis and he was a load as lead blocker for us. Carter is more athletic that those 2 but about 40-50lb smaller depending on biscuits consumed at breakfast.

But bringing them in always made me nervous because of all the bodies going low, just wasn't sure the risk was worth the reward of risking your AA DT as a lead blocker. If you want that extra monster in there use a backup OL who is use to blocking. I can quarantine if Davis or Carter were hurt as lead blockers Kirby would catch tons of heat. I suspect the same for CMS if Walker were hurt as a lead blocker.

Last edited:
Would bring Davis and Carter in on short and goal. Carter was a TE in HS and actually caught a TD pass in one game on a back out of backfield deal. But Walker would fit the same mold as Davis and he was a load as lead blocker for us. Carter is more athletic that those 2 but about 40-50lb smaller depending on biscuits consumed at breakfast.

But bringing them in always made me nervous because of all the bodies going low, just wasn't sure the risk was worth the reward of risking your AA DT as a lead blocker. If you want that extra monster in there use a backup OL who is use to blocking. I can quarantine if Davis or Carter were hurt as lead blockers Kirby would catch tons of heat. I suspect the same for CMS if Walker were hurt as a lead blocker.
My feelings exactly.

Not a fan of using a player out of position. Offense is the opposite of what he is trained to do. Would have to spend practice time on it and what a bummer if he got injured on that side of the ball.
He was recruited by most as an OT.

He would be great in that capacity if needed. Isn’t Justice Dingle the one true Fullback on the team or did he graduate?

Today Coen said that Walker was the most destructible force on the D. Very hard to run on and is just destructible whatever the offense tries to do. Mentioned how good and smart Lovett and Childress is and how fast and good Wallace is.

White said the offense is really good at adjusting and that Leary can make all the throws and is smart.

Last edited:
He was recruited by most as an OT.

He would be great in that capacity if needed. Isn’t Justice Dingle the one true Fullback on the team or did he graduate?
Dingle is still listed on the depth chart as a 5th year senior. I don't doubt Walker would do it, just reluctant to risk injury on that side of the ball.

Good point. Idk if I’d want him taking unnecessary low shots at the knees. But maybe in QB sneak or short yard wildcat package if it’s an absolute must have down/game you could bring him in as the follow up “pusher” to move the pile. May be slightly less risk involved.

Good point. Idk if I’d want him taking unnecessary low shots at the knees. But maybe in QB sneak or short yard wildcat package if it’s an absolute must have down/game you could bring him in as the follow up “pusher” to move the pile. May be slightly less risk involved.

Less risk for Walker.
More risk for Leary

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT