ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten starting to require injury reports

UKnCincy

Junior
Aug 2, 2008
Hadn’t seen this mentioned, but the Big Ten is going to start requiring that teams issue game day injury reports. I also believe that LSU is going to start issuing injury reports during the week.

For those of you who are annoyed by Cal’s approach to discussing injuries, I suspect we might see the SEC start requiring more detailed injury reports in the near future.

Reactions: jmw23712
As I understand, the increased prevalence of legalized gambling is helping drive this push for more open injury disclosure in sports.

I guess it’s figured that there’ll be less corruption If it’s no longer considered inside info that can be peddled behind closed doors.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’d love to get some honest info on player injuries. Would be the first time in 15 years.
But you won't get information on injuries. You will just know if a player is going to play before the game. It's not like they are requiring in depth medical info lol It'll just say- "Player A is out for today's game" Just like the pro leagues do.

But you won't get information on injuries. You will just know if a player is going to play before the game. It's not like they are requiring in depth medical info lol It'll just say- "Player A is out for today's game" Just like the pro leagues do.
If it's an injury they have to list it. That's the purpose of the report. It won't be detailed, but it will say, "Jones- Out- Knee" or "Smith- Doubtful- Illness"

If it's an injury they have to list it. That's the purpose of the report. It won't be detailed, but it will say, "Jones- Out- Knee" or "Smith- Doubtful- Illness"
But we pretty much already know this information. When PJ was out, We knew it was a knee issue. Bradshaw's will say foot lol Just doesn't add as much as some think in my opinion. They will also just lie and put whatever they want to on there.

But we pretty much already know this information. When PJ was out, We knew it was a knee issue. Bradshaw's will say foot lol Just doesn't add as much as some think in my opinion. They will also just lie and put whatever they want to on there.
So true, there was nothing weird at all about the Wheeler "ankle" (lol) injury.

When people start losing money over an "injury", yeah, that won't sit well.

We're about to enter a whole new world especially in Kentucky. And as betting becomes more and more common on college sports, these things are going to become more standardized like the pros.

but HIPAA!!!! lol, clowns
Actually the Hippa law protects a lot of people. This requirement is useless though, coaches will say what they want you to know and come
game time say they got conflicting news earlier or throw a you a bone with no meat on it. Stop
me if you have heard these “ I haven’t talked to him or that’s up to the doctors or I haven’t been told one way or another yet”. This is a feel good rule.

Actually the Hippa law protects a lot of people. This requirement is useless though, coaches will say what they want you to know and come
game time say they got conflicting news earlier or throw a you a bone with no meat on it. Stop
me if you have heard these “ I haven’t talked to him or that’s up to the doctors or I haven’t been told one way or another yet”. This is a feel good rule.
I appreciate Stl-cat for at least spelling HIPAA correctly.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Having pointed out that it is HIPAA, not "hippa", I will say that it can be a requirement of a scholarship, no different than it is a requirement of an NFL contract, to waive your rights to the release of injury information.

A good start to having a proper HIPAA conversation is to understand what the acronym stands for, and that it is not HIPPA.

HIPAA law does protect a lot of people. It has not however ever had anything to do with the lack of injury reports we get from our coaching staff.

Having pointed out that it is HIPAA, not "hippa", I will say that it can be a requirement of a scholarship, no different than it is a requirement of an NFL contract, to waive your rights to the release of injury information.
Schools are required to keep student athlete’s medical records confidential. Depending upon how the school’s medical/training staff is set up, those records would be covered under HIPAA or FERPA.

But as you mentioned, most schools ask players to sign waivers authorizing training staff to disclose medical information to the coaching staff. However, it’s also up to the individual schools to state whether that authorization extends solely to the coach (i.e., the coach cannot share it with the media without prior approval from the student) or whether the information can be shared more broadly.

Here’s an example of the medical information waiver UK has used in the past; not sure if it’s still current.

There is one HIPAA/FERPA waiver that each athlete is required to sign once a year to authorize sharing information with the NCAA, but this is limited to things necessary to determine eligibility (e.g., grades, drug test results).

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Hey, you want to get payed like a professional, then you'll be held accountable like one.

I suspect this will be common place before long. If a car dealer is footing the bill and with sports gambling as big as ever, people want to know why you aren't playing, and how long until you are playing.

Schools are required to keep student athlete’s medical records confidential. Depending upon how the school’s medical/training staff is set up, those records would be covered under HIPAA or FERPA.

But as you mentioned, most schools ask players to sign waivers authorizing training staff to disclose medical information to the coaching staff. However, it’s also up to the individual schools to state whether that authorization extends solely to the coach (i.e., the coach cannot share it with the media without prior approval from the student) or whether the information can be shared more broadly.

Here’s an example of the medical information waiver UK has used in the past; not sure if it’s still current.

There is one HIPAA/FERPA waiver that each athlete is required to sign once a year to authorize sharing information with the NCAA, but this is limited to things necessary to determine eligibility (e.g., grades, drug test results).
Assuming that is current, which I'm sure if it has been modified it hasn't changed this part, but the player agrees that his medical condition can be disclosed to the media, which is what we are talking about.

Either I'm reading your post wrong, or you read the waive wrong.

Either I'm reading your post wrong, or you read the waive wrong.
I didn’t read the waiver incorrectly, but without you providing more detail, I can’t answer how you are interpreting my post.

I simply included the UK waiver as an illustrative example of how:
  1. Schools currently ask athletes to sign medical records to enable, at minimum, the ability to share medical information with the coaching staff so that the staff knows when a player is unavailable for practice/competition
  2. It is up to the individual schools to decide how far behind that minimum that they want to go with respect to disclosing medical information. Waivers for some schools explicitly state that they will not share medical info with the media, while other schools do ask for permission to share with the media (in the past, UK has asked for permission to share medical information with the media)
My broader point was that I was agreeing with you about asking athletes to sign waivers, and I was simply providing additional detail about the fact that schools are already obtaining these types of waivers.

To the extent that detailed injury reports become more common in the future, the schools will simply update their existing waivers to cover that use case if it doesn’t already.

When people start losing money over an "injury", yeah, that won't sit well.

We're about to enter a whole new world especially in Kentucky. And as betting becomes more and more common on college sports, these things are going to become more standardized like the pros.
If you think you're going to know the truth about injuries, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in idaho. I agree on why they are doing it, but all the teams have to do is put "Out-Ankle" They don't have to elaborate lol

So true, there was nothing weird at all about the Wheeler "ankle" (lol) injury.
And you think that will change? Dream on lol "Out-Ankle" That's all they have to say. The NBA requires this before games too and you'll see some guys sit for "Out-knee soreness" It's literally a placeholder and to make betting on games easier or more fair.

If you think you're going to know the truth about injuries, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in idaho. I agree on why they are doing it, but all the teams have to do is put "Out-Ankle" They don't have to elaborate lol
Oh I know. But it will at least put it on an official record. So if it is some "Injury" we can at least see that Player A was out 13 weeks with an "ankle" injury. Everyone will be able to go "Hmmmm....." at that point.

Also, if conferences are deciding to make this a "thing" then it's clearly not just one coach in Kentucky who chooses to not speak to injuries lol. This appears to be a nationwide problem.

Another also.. this sort of thing is more common than people realize in other sports. If you have several teams or further, follow fantasy sports, you will come across quite a few players who have ambiguous injuries with no time table for return.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss

This is the correct answer.

Also, if conferences are deciding to make this a "thing" then it's clearly not just one coach in Kentucky who chooses to not speak to injuries lol. This appears to be a nationwide problem.

Another also.. this sort of thing is more common than people realize in other sports. If you have several teams or further, follow fantasy sports, you will come across quite a few players who have ambiguous injuries with no time table for return.

Yeah, happens all the time in sports.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT