ADVERTISEMENT

Big Houses

funKYcat75

All-American
Apr 10, 2008
Free Mash
As I'm getting older, the thought of a bigger house than I have now (1980 sq ft., nothing extravagant in any way) seems very tiring. I'm trying to wrap my head around why people choose to have these really big homes for just three or four people. I really can only thing of three reasons: 1. The neighborhood they like only has big houses, 2. It's an investment, 3. It's a place to have your kids' friends over so you know that yours is somewhere safe.

Anyone upgraded recently and why? krazykats exluded. If you have a bunch of kids I know they have to sleep somewhere.

my parents have a big house. It was really too big for the 4 of us when we moved in when I was in 6th grade. Now since it's just the 2 of them it is WAY too big. But it's paid off. Christmas is the only time of the year when the majority of the space is used. They were considering downsizing but at this point (Dad is 73, mom is 70) they don't see the point since they have zero debt.

We have some friends with teenage and college kids who moved up about 800 sq feet. Just baffling to me since they'll be empty nesters by 50.

We’re currently building a house and my wife lost her complete mind. Our kids are 5,3, and 7 months and she wants it to be a place where all the friends will be over and have family over for holidays etc etc. I hope she’s right because I don’t see how we’ll use half of it. I grew up in apts my whole life, with our first in the states being a 2 bedroom apt for a family of five so I’m more a minimalist but whatever. Hopefully it’ll be a good investment.

I think in this culture in this country it’s hard to convince people that even if they CAN afford something, should they pay for it? I mean how much do people really need anyway?

Wife and I just broke ground on our new build. Admittedly, we got carried away when working with our architect. A lot of our must haves were on the main floor of the house which made the footprint of the house quite large.

The plan is to have several kids and also a home where we can host friends and family.

We built in 2020/2021 and moved into our new house in October and it's about 4,300 sq ft counting the finished part of the basement. Could we technically get by with less? Sure, but it's what we wanted. I either travel or work from so I need a home office. We also wanted our kids to have their own separate bedrooms. We also wanted a real guest room for guests instead of having to kick kids out of their room. Both our kids are under 4 so the amount of toys they have is insane and I can't stand clutter so we added a play room. Additionally we have media room in the basement. Our previous house was a 4/3 that we certainly could have made work with an office/guest room combo and no basement, playroom, etc but this is just what we wanted.

Last edited:
We're DINKs with a dog. Our house is a little more than 2k sf. It is a four square craftsman house from the 1910s. It is an absolutely gorgeous house with original wood floors, pocket doors, etc. While I love the house, I cannot wait to sell it and buy a small modern ranch on a lot of land somewhere.

While theoretically we have two stories and three bedrooms, it is poorly designed and we are constantly on top of each other and privacy is nonexistent.

We would have sold it in the last two years except neither of us have the time to deal with moving right now with our jobs.

Reactions: 80 Proof
QKxOoO1m.png

We built recently and opted for a larger house. It has enough SF that we can have a theater room, office and exercise room on the first floor in what normally would be bedrooms. The upstairs just has a guest suite and a bonus room. It's nice to have the space you need for all that, but honestly it has never felt as comfortable and "homey" as smaller houses we've lived in.

When we bought the current one made the decision to go smaller. Reached the point where we passed on the bigger ones.
Did not want to insure it, maintain it, pay the extra property taxes on it, heat it, cool it, clean it.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Not only smaller but I am also done with stairs.
Oh hell yeah. We have lived in our current house for 18 years and we have 2 set of stairs. One up to the bedrooms and one down to the basement where the family room is. Next place we live will have zero stairs. Middle floor is used for cooking and eating. I don’t know what we were thinking when we bought this house.

Reactions: funKYcat75
We built our second ranch when we were still under 40. One kid - long gone now. Saw no reason to keep up more space nor constantly walk stairs. 1900 sf main floor with full height walkout basement, about 1/2 finished. Extra bedroom (3rd), big exercise room, & bath down there. Use one upstairs BR as computer room/office. No wasted dining room, just alcove as part of kitchen. Yes, ranches cost more/sf with more roof & walls, but preferred spending on that vs. more raw space.

We bought a small starter home 16 years ago and just never left. I had a number of issues with my back and neck that required surgery and it just wasn't economical to try and get a bigger home.

Now I have a 20 year old and a 16 year old and God willing they will both be on their own in the next few years. It would be pointless now to worry about getting something bigger.

The only way I get a bigger house is if I ever end up with my mom's house. To be honest, if I were single I would move out away from the city and just live in one of those tiny homes/cabins off of the grid.

Dinks here, my wife and I bought a place a couple years back that's about 5500 sq ft, it's a ranch on a basement. We have huge dogs and I like space. We technically have 5 guest rooms for family to come stay, which is why we sprung for such a large space, but 2 have been converted to home offices.

We went from 600 sq ft apartments to a 1800 sq ft home, 4000 sq ft home, 1000 sq ft home, to this.

As Manny in Modern Family said, "I've grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle."

As I'm getting older, the thought of a bigger house than I have now (1980 sq ft., nothing extravagant in any way) seems very tiring. I'm trying to wrap my head around why people choose to have these really big homes for just three or four people. I really can only thing of three reasons: 1. The neighborhood they like only has big houses, 2. It's an investment, 3. It's a place to have your kids' friends over so you know that yours is somewhere safe.

Anyone upgraded recently and why? krazykats exluded. If you have a bunch of kids I know they have to sleep somewhere.

Interesting to read. What makes it tiring? Just the upkeep and cleaning?

I've been in the same top apartment of my duplex during all of COVID with my wife. And we both work from home 100% of the time. We're both dying for more space.

We're looking to build a house with an inlaw suite. I dont need a mansion.. but I want multiple "living" areas. I hate the idea of moving into a "starter" home just to move again when we outgrow it. That's why I did the Duplex: save for a few years, keep this place for side income and then buy our forever home. Bypass that middle home which so many people get stuck in.

Just met with 1 builder, meeting with 2 more this week. Not the time I want to buy but were out of time. Need the space.

I think in this culture in this country it’s hard to convince people that even if they CAN afford something, should they pay for it? I mean how much do people really need anyway?

A bit OT, but on that point, my wife thinks I have lost my F-ing mind because I won't buy a new cell phone. My current model is 3 or 4 years old, and has a hairline crack on the front . . . but it still works. Even though I can buy ten new phones if I wanted to, just CANNOT make myself lay down $1000 for the new Samsung s22, just not in my DNA to pay that much for a damn cell phone, don't care how smart it is.

Why do people buy Expeditions, Denali's, etc.....because that's what they want. Why do high hndcp golfers buy $500 drivers? Practicality is not in the conversation when it comes to high ticket items.

Why do people buy Expeditions, Denali's, etc.....because that's what they want. Why do high hndcp golfers buy $500 drivers? Practicality is not in the conversation when it comes to high ticket items.

Idk, those are nice to drive around in. It's good if you got a big family, need space/towing but don't want a truck, and are beasts in the winter. My mom has always had big SUVs. And she's a horrifically bad driver. She's hit two deer and also went off a back country road in a bad snow storm. If she was in a car or even a mid sized SUV, it might have been a problem (of course she could just be a better driver, but that ship has sailed)

Plus you can get in them used for 30k.

I decided to downsize and ended up buying this little place in Ashville. It's nice but we always have people coming by to see it...
Biltmore-EstateAsheville-North-Carolina.jpg

Reactions: funKYcat75
Idk, those are nice to drive around in. It's good if you got a big family, need space/towing but don't want a truck, and are beasts in the winter. My mom has always had big SUVs. And she's a horrifically bad driver. She's hit two deer and also went off a back country road in a bad snow storm. If she was in a car or even a mid sized SUV, it might have been a problem (of course she could just be a better driver, but that ship has sailed)

Plus you can get in them used for 30k.

A long time ago I bought my 18 year old daughter her first car. I got her one of those big old tank Chryslers from the early 70s for a few hundred bucks. She drove off into the center median on an interstate. The car flipped completely over and ended up on its wheels in the other lane. She just started it back up and continued on her way without a scratch. TS.

• Wow
Reactions: BBUK and Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT