ADVERTISEMENT

Banner

Jan 26, 2021
I hate to be that dude who gets slammed mercilessly by the board…but just for the sake of discussion…

Is there anywhere on campus or in the basketball facilities where you could tolerate a TBT banner that recognizes a championship of that tournament with Alumni?

Go easy…

I'd say recent ex-players winning a made-for-TV tournament is slightly more impressive than having a PR guy from a California bread company named Helms bakery put out a press release decades later saying you might have won a mythical tournament 40 years ago if one had ever been played, so the company was naming you Mythical 1922 and 1923 Bread Champions.

In other words, leave hanging banners for stuff like that to wannabee programs like Kansas.

I wouldn’t have a problem with recognizing the team in Memorial. Considering we had murals of Cal’s NBA guys there, and Pope’s push to make all former players feel welcome, that seems like an appropriate venue.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Doesn’t need in the rafters but if they have a trophy case then that would be a perfect place to recognize the achievement if they were to win.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Maybe in the Basketball department offices hallway or something like that. Similar to the picture of all the former Cats in the NBA.

Concur with everyone else. You can recognize it on an “Alumni Wall” in the facilities. Thats where our list of NBA guys should be as well (not the focal point in the gym).

Maybe if you win 10+ TBTs and this tournament last another 50 years, then you can hang a single banner, off to the side on a different rafter that isn’t near the NCAA titles, titled Kentucky Alumni TBT and list all 10 years under it. But just do it overnight and not a ceremony.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT