ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant John Welch has incentive bonuses

Here are Cal’s bonuses by contract:

2009 - Calipari’s original contract included bonuses for an SEC regular-season title ($50,000), SEC Tournament title ($50,000), NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance ($100,000), Final Four appearance ($175,000), national title ($375,000), APR score of at least .950 ($50,0000) and graduation rate of at least 75% ($50,000).

2011 - The 2011 extension increased Calipari’s possible bonuses to $150,000 for reaching a Final Four and $350,000 for winning a national title. The extension replaced the graduation rate bonus with one for reaching the Elite Eight worth $100,000.

2014 - Calipari’s third contract amendment essentially shifted the bonuses for team performance to guaranteed compensation. It deleted all his incentive clauses expect for the one awarded for his team achieving at least a .950 in the NCAA’s APR metric.

Could we possibly be looking at Cal's replacement? Fundamentals and experience. I would take a chance on a 2 year contract. At his salary (would be higher than now) you could pay him and Cal's buyout.

Could we possibly be looking at Cal's replacement? Fundamentals and experience. I would take a chance on a 2 year contract. At his salary (would be higher than now) you could pay him and Cal's buyout.
Could be an interim if Cal screws the pooch this year. I could see that being put in place

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
No way. A guy in his 60's that has been an assistant for 30 years. There is a probably a reason why he hasn't been a head coach at any level.

I just don’t see him being the guy, idk maybe I’m wrong. If he is the replacement I’d expect him to be a filler until they find who they want. Unless he exceeded expectations as a head coach

The players need incentive bonuses. Sit the bench while faking an injury, you pay it all back plus interest.

They'd have to be put on payroll for that. Which I would be for. Give em a cut of the money they generate and sign em to contracts. If you're in college you're with us. The NCAA could then impose a cap and the transfer portal and nil would calm itself down.

Reactions: EliteBlue

2009 - Calipari’s original contract included bonuses for an SEC regular-season title ($50,000), SEC Tournament title ($50,000), NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance ($100,000), Final Four appearance ($175,000), national title ($375,000), APR score of at least .950 ($50,0000) and graduation rate of at least 75% ($50,000).

2011 - The 2011 extension increased Calipari’s possible bonuses to $150,000 for reaching a Final Four and $350,000 for winning a national title. The extension replaced the graduation rate bonus with one for reaching the Elite Eight worth $100,000.

2014 - Calipari’s third contract amendment essentially shifted the bonuses for team performance to guaranteed compensation. It deleted all his incentive clauses expect for the one awarded for his team achieving at least a .950 in the NCAA’s APR metric.
I bet Cal would try a little harder to win games at UK if he still received bonuses for on court performance. He loves having a fat wallet.
Even Nick Saban has performance incentives built into his contract.

No way. A guy in his 60's that has been an assistant for 30 years. There is a probably a reason why he hasn't been a head coach at any level.
Let’s be honest. Can it get much worse? Cal is winning like 60 percent of his games the past several years, can’t win the SEC or SECT, no one seeds, about ten games under .500 against top 25 teams. Shall I go on?

Let’s be honest. Can it get much worse? Cal is winning like 60 percent of his games the past several years, can’t win the SEC or SECT, no one seeds, about ten games under .500 against top 25 teams. Shall I go on?
Nah, you can stop there. While I know it can’t get much worse, I’m assuming we would want someone that could get us back to title contention and I just don’t think a 60 year old with 30 years as an assistant is the answer.

From everything I've read and heard this is a great hire. The question I keep asking is," if he is this awesome and skilled as a coach, why has he never been a head coach?? There has to be a reason. Not trying to be negative, but I think its a legit question.

Reactions: NociHTTP
From everything I've read and heard this is a great hire. The question I keep asking is," if he is this awesome and skilled as a coach, why has he never been a head coach?? There has to be a reason. Not trying to be negative, but I think its a legit question.
Just because you are good at X's and O's doesn't mean you are a good head coach. There is so much more that goes into being a good head coach and assistant's who fail prove that over and over again. It sounds like he has a niche that he's very good at, much like a really good OC/DC/STC in college football. Those don't always translate to being a good head coach. But they are great to have on your staff.

I bet Cal would try a little harder to win games at UK if he still received bonuses for on court performance. He loves having a fat wallet.
Even Nick Saban has performance incentives built into his contract.
Nick Saban will never spend his bonuses or even remember what they are/were.

Its a week's paid vacation for these guys.

Accept the fact Cal is being paid for his past results, not his current or future.

UCLA came out ahead on that negotiation.

Barney is atrocious but he has enough of our fans fooled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT