ADVERTISEMENT

Ask not what your country can do for you.

😂 Yeah, no. Aren't you like 80 years old? Every single post of yours has that grumpy old man vibe to it.

Time is undefeated friend, in the blink of an eye you’ll be an 80 year old man considered grumpy with outdated ideas by a 20 something that thinks he’s got it all figured out. Never a bad idea to show respect to the generations before us, hopefully it can be reciprocated if we’re lucky enough to make it that far.

Time is undefeated friend, in the blink of an eye you’ll be an 80 year old man considered grumpy with outdated ideas by a 20 something that thinks he’s got it all figured out. Never a bad idea to show respect to the generations before us, hopefully it can be reciprocated if we’re lucky enough to make it that far.
Your calling for respecting people?

😂 Yeah, no. Aren't you like 80 years old? Every single post of yours has that grumpy old man vibe to it.
You are not far off. I tell you how old I am. When I was a student at the University of Kentucky the President of the United States, Lyndon B Johnson, addressed our student body in Memorial Coliseum.

He introduced his "War On Poverty" aka the Great Society. He was going to wipe out poverty in Eastern Kentucky and Appalachia by introducing social welfare plans addressing their every need. Having family in Eastern Kentucky still working in the mines and other family who had left for other states to seek new job opportunities for their family I listened carefully to what he was saying. His promises flowed like honey out of a rock. It would be glorious up Rockhouse Holler.

Half way through his "speech" I began to question where he was coming from and who would fund this monumental task. After all he was getting us deeper into Vietnam and spending money wrecklessly on that venture. Who pays for this? So from JFK "ask not what your country can do for you" to LBJ's "your country is going to make Appalachians the most successful group in America" I got a little skeptical of what was the real goal of our government. Especially with many of my childhood buddies dying in Vietnam before their 21st birthday.

Once you get out of your political science class into the real world you may understand. Or maybe you won't.

Last edited:
You are not far off. I tell you how old I am. When I was a student at the University of Kentucky when the President of the United States, Lyndon B Johnson, addressed our student body in Memorial Coliseum.

He introduced his "War On Poverty" aka the Great Society. He was going to wipe out poverty in Eastern Kentucky and Appalachia by introducing social welfare plans addressing their every need. Having family in Eastern Kentucky still working in the mines and other family who had left for other states to seek new job opportunities for their family I listened carefully to what he was saying. His promises flowed like honey out of a rock. It would be glorious up Rockhouse Holler.

Half way through his "speech" I began to question where he was coming from and who would fund this monumental task. After all he was getting us deeper into Vietnam and spending money wrecklessly on that venture. Who pays for this? So from JFK "ask not what your country can do for you" to LBJ's "your country is going to make Appalachians the most successful group in America" I got a little skeptical of what was the real goal of our government. Especially with many of my childhood buddies dying in Vietnam before their 21st birthday.

Once you get out of your political science class into the real world you may understand. Or maybe you won't.
Probably like you, my folks grew up in The Great Depression. They taught me the value of hard work and treating your elders and everyone else with respect. I've never drawn one penny of unemployment in my life. When gov Andy forced me to lay off my workers (non essential) in my very small business, I could have gotten the gov $ they were handing out for small businesses, but I didn't even apply. I just wanted/want gov to leave well enough alone. Like fire, gov is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

• Love
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It got us to the moon a few times, what else do you want?

Did it really, though?

716kGu04O8L.jpg

Probably like you, my folks grew up in The Great Depression. They taught me the value of hard work and treating your elders and everyone else with respect. I've never drawn one penny of unemployment in my life. When gov Andy forced me to lay off my workers (non essential) in my very small business, I could have gotten the gov $ they were handing out for small businesses, but I didn't even apply. I just wanted/want gov to leave well enough alone. Like fire, gov is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.
Do you draw Social security

Do you draw Social security
I would prefer not to. Fortunately I invested wisely from my first day of earning a living and now that I am retired it provides my livelihood. I had taken the social security money I was forced to pay and invested it I would have more wealth. My socials security check just gives me extra spending money and does not pay any bills. I have used it to travel a lot.

But I am thankful for what I have and God has been good to me. He blessed me with a wonderful family and an exceptional lifestyle. For this I give thanks. Not to the government but to my family, friends and my faith in God.

Reactions: exemjr and mdlUK.1
It is not ideologically inconsistent to criticize government handouts while receiving your money back (at a horrible rate of return, btw) that was taken from you under threat of force.
Funny how people criticize other people getting “handouts” but the money they received is earned. They are hypocrites.

I would prefer not to. Fortunately I invested wisely from my first day of earning a living and now that I am retired it provides my livelihood. I had taken the social security money I was forced to pay and invested it I would have more wealth. My socials security check just gives me extra spending money and does not pay any bills. I have used it to travel a lot.

But I am thankful for what I have and God has been good to me. He blessed me with a wonderful family and an exceptional lifestyle. For this I give thanks. Not to the government but to my family, friends and my faith in God.
You prefer not to, but you do. Did they force you to?

Reactions: RogCat1119
I got three posts in and just wanted to say that all Presidents would be kicked out of all Parties today.

Lets just say that it is hard for me to imagine any recent president saying:

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge--and more."

It is not ideologically inconsistent to criticize government handouts while receiving your money back (at a horrible rate of return, btw) that was taken from you under threat of force.
It is amazing how liberal minds think. They force people to do something and then criticize them if they receive some of it back in the form of a little check at the end of the month.

You prefer not to, but you do. Did they force you to?

Social Security is not voluntary so yes it was forced on me. Thus it is not a handout. But as a liberal you do not know the difference and can not understand economics. What fool would pay into Social Security every pay day since he was 16 years old and then tell the government to keep their money. What if I draw it to give to my grandchildren and help them build a college fund.

Social Security is good for people who are not disciplined and spend every dime they make. Big Brother has to protect them from themselves. So the program is good for those folks because it may keep them out of the poor house when they retire or become disabled. Nothing wrong with that.

You are too young to understand the Great Society and the promises of LBJ but it was a hand out, a hand out that could not be sustained and put us on the road to a social welfare state. But back to Social Security. I have a cousin who paid in it all of his life but died before he drew a penny. His estate may have received $250 to help bury him. Sounds fair doesn't it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT