ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Knecht & Sheppard

I like Reed because, well, he's really great at basketball. Damn, that was easy.
Right. It’s not hard to understand. He plays the game of basketball at an extremely efficient and high level…hence why the NBA is considering him top 5.

I also like Reed slightly more than others bc he’s a KY kid. Just as I had a soft spot for Miller, Willis, Hawkins etc…just as I still kinda pulled for Chris Lofton, S.Mack, Allen Houston.

You can tell when these sports hack race baiters don’t understand the fabric of the state and just want to “blame” the easy thing of “derp derp KY is a racist state and sleeps w their sisters” Most these ppl come from big cities or the west coast w negative perceptions of the state to begin, add to that the fact they can’t relate to being from a small state that doesn’t produce a ton of high D1 basketball players that play for the state school. They don’t understand how rare that’s been here over the last so many years. It isn’t a California kid playing at UCLA or a FL/TX kid at a FL/TX school. Kentuckians are proud of a fellow Kentuckian…and that’s even amplified when it’s an EKYian bc that “isolated us against them—make it out” mentality is even bigger.

And to cross the race barrier; it is the exact same mentality and phenomenon of when a kid makes it out of a bad neighborhood or rough part of the city and that area is “glad he made it out of the hood” etc and the people there consider them to be “one of us” and take pride in it. Newport News VA still rocks Alllen Iverson gear for this reason.

Non sports; sure the music is great but it’s a big reason why Kentuckians almost universally love Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton etc

Last edited:
It's interesting because you always hear about how important representation is for kids. It's great for a young Latino girl to have Dora the Explorer and see Mexican born Katya Echazarreta be a space faring astronaut in a field dominated by white males, right? I would agree with all of that in principle too.

But it's like we forget that having representation for white kids in a predominantly non-white field it would also be important right? After doing a quick check on NBA and high major NCAAM basketball, somewhere between 70-75% are non-white.

It would just stand to reason that white people would fall in love with him, at least partly because he is white, and I don't see anything wrong with that, doesn't seem any different from my above example.

Obviously it's mostly because he's one of the best all around players we've had but yeah probably some small portion is due to race but so what?

Right. It’s not hard to understand. He plays the game of basketball at an extremely efficient and high level…hence why the NBA is considering him top 5.

I also like Reed slightly more than others bc he’s a KY kid. Just as I had a soft spot for Miller, Willis, Hawkins etc…just as I still kinda pulled for Chris Lofton, S.Mack, Allen Houston.

You can tell when these sports hack race baiters don’t understand the fabric of the state and just want to “blame” the easy thing of “derp derp KY is a racist state and sleeps w their sisters” Most these ppl come from big cities or the west coast w negative perceptions of the state to begin, add to that the fact they can’t relate to being from a small state that doesn’t produce a ton of high D1 basketball players that play for the state school. They don’t understand how rare that’s been here over the last so many years. It isn’t a California kid playing at UCLA or a FL/TX kid at a FL/TX school. Kentuckians are proud of a fellow Kentuckian…and that’s even amplified when it’s an EKYian bc that “isolated us against them—make it out” mentality is even bigger.

And to cross the race barrier; it is the exact same mentality and phenomenon of when a kid makes it out of a bad neighborhood or rough part of the city and that area is “glad he made it out of the hood” etc and the people there consider them to be “one of us” and take pride in it. Newport News VA still rocks Alllen Iverson gear for this reason.

Non sports; sure the music is great but it’s a big reason why Kentuckians almost universally love Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton etc
So true. Honestly while him being white may be a big factor to a few UK fans (face it, there are a few in every fan base), for most of BBN it is:
- how good and efficient he is
-how humble and good of a kid he seems
- that he is a KY kid (like them) also growing up dreaming of playing for UK
- that he is a double UK basketball legacy, more than that his dad won 2 championships and one MOP

And yeah, as much as I’ve always hated UT, growing up 5 miles from that state, Lofton is the one and only UT player I’ve liked.

They just gave Iverson his own street in Newport News.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I love Reed because I'm a Sheppard* boy born and raised in KY. I am the first son of my parents, was born Jeff's freshman year and my first child(son) is due in less than 2 weeks during Reed's freshman season. Hearing our family name and buying official jerseys with it on there has been amazing.

*No relation

So true. Honestly while him being white may be a big factor to a few UK fans (face it, there are a few in every fan base), for most of BBN it is:
- how good and efficient he is
-how humble and good of a kid he seems
- that he is a KY kid (like them) also growing up dreaming of playing for UK
- that he is a double UK basketball legacy, more than that his dad won 2 championships and one MOP

And yeah, as much as I’ve always hated UT, growing up 5 miles from that state, Lofton is the one and only UT player I’ve liked.
And the thing is… there is levels to the “white boost” that isn’t just racist. Same as JJ Reddick or Tyler Herro; there isn’t a ton of representation in the sport other than Europeans….its ok for high school and younger kids to look up to those guys based on skin color and see theirselves in them, to see they can do it too and have a little hope.

We recognize that importance when a woman / girl has success in male dominated fields even as adults like aviation, engineering, tech or a girl pitches in the LLWS. We recognize the importance when a minority has success in white dominated sports I.e tiger woods in golf, the Williams twins in Tennis etc. but when it’s flipped, ppl have a hard time separating the concept from being the majority in society vs a minority in the sport that some kid may be pursuing and passionate about….if someone wants to argue is shouldn’t matter in any of those instances then ok, but the reality is people (especially younger boys and girls) are going to be encouraged by someone that looks like them if there isn’t a lot of ppl that look like them in a field they are pursuing. Thats a real concept that isn’t founded in White/black/female etc supremacy

Agree.....most of these writers have never set foot in Kentucky or Rupp. IF they ever attended a game they might get an idea of just how much Kentucky fans love ALL players who excel. But it means even more if it's a home town boy so to speak....and one who happens to be the son of two of the schools most loved players...one of which helped bring home to nattys.

So yeah....folks love Reed. But UK fans also love Reeves who came back for his senior year. Very rare at UK these days.

IF Reed did stay all four years and brought home a natty the writter wouldn't have a clue how much that means to folks in Kentucky and UK fans everywhere.

And the thing is… there is levels to the “white boost” that isn’t just racist. Same as JJ Reddick or Tyler Herro; there isn’t a ton of representation in the sport other than Europeans….its ok for high school and younger kids to look up to those guys based on skin color and see theirselves in them, to see they can do it too and have a little hope.

We recognize that importance when a woman / girl has success in male dominated fields even as adults like aviation, engineering, tech or a girl pitches in the LLWS. We recognize the importance when a minority has success in white dominated sports I.e tiger woods in golf, the Williams twins in Tennis etc. but when it’s flipped, ppl have a hard time separating the concept from being the majority in society vs a minority in the sport that some kid may be pursuing and passionate about….if someone wants to argue is shouldn’t matter in any of those instances then ok, but the reality is people (especially younger boys and girls) are going to be encouraged by someone that looks like them if there isn’t a lot of ppl that look like them in a field they are pursuing. Thats a real concept that isn’t founded in White/black/female etc supremacy
Isn't that the argument we hear from others.....need to see people who look like them in the workplace, etc. One of the arguments behind DIE.

Talking about white people accomplishments is racist.

Not to the people who push these stupid ideas it isn’t. I literally found an activist on Twitter who called out the NBA for racism for giving the dunk contest to Mac McClung 2 years in a row. His reasons were 1.) we let five black judges give it to a white guy 2.) he only had a couple scholarship offers out of HS 3.) it’s rooted in racism because a black man didn’t win. 4.) he’s only made a million dollars in the G-League.

Last edited:
If Dalton Knecht and Reed Sheppard are selected in the top five it would be the first time two white Americans have been taken in the first five selections since Bill Walton and Bobby Jones in 1974.

According to NBADraft.net, the best source for non-paywalled mock drafts, Knecht and Sheppard are the fourth- and fifth-best prospects in this player pool. The former just led Tennessee to its first outright SEC title in the regular season since 2008, and the latter stole the hearts of Kentucky fans everywhere like he does from so many unassuming ball handlers. (Why certain Wildcat faithful have hopped on Sheppard’s jock is not up to me, because you know there are a ton of people in the Bluegrass State who’ve done so for reasons that are, shall we say, white supremacist.)

Isn't that the argument we hear from others.....need to see people who look like them in the workplace, etc. One of the arguments behind DIE.
The concept is tree. DEI tho is forced representation and that’s where it falls apart. Athletes are recruited with quotas in mind to secure funding from investors. Let’s not get in to politics tho

Did that ass-hat, Sean Beckwith just say in the article that many UK fans like Reed for white supremacist reasons? If so, if you use X, drop this jerk a comment where he'll see it.
He craves the attention.

The NBA is trending away from only inner city street ballers to Europeans/global players who have a much better IQ and skill level and development. NBA is going to be the complete opposite of the iverson and malice in the palace era here after a few more drafts. Some groups feel threatened by that.

The internet has ruined the world and we’ll never recover from it
I think it’s the combination of social media, and carrying the internet around in our pocket everywhere we go. But I get your point.

I love Reed’s game always under control and sees the game a couple of moves ahead of time . I love Dilly’s game and it is the polar opposite. They are both great and they play for UK, what else is there to it.

Knecht, I don’t care for.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The NBA is trending away from only inner city street ballers to Europeans/global players who have a much better IQ and skill level and development. NBA is going to be the complete opposite of the iverson and malice in the palace era here after a few more drafts. Some groups feel threatened by that.

You’re right! 2 of the best players in the NBA now, are Jokic and Luka.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph... This is a pathetic take. This.... Person... Deserves a seat between Joy Behar and Sunny "perpetual victim" Hostin on the view... Or a spot on MSNBC...

So weak and lazy

Last edited:
Reactions: crestcat
Isn't this the same harbage website that called a 9 year old kc fan a racist for wearing war paint? When he has native American ancestors?

There’s so much wrong with this post. First, equating white athletes to high IQ and black athletes to street ballers is the type of stereotyping that caused the dude to write the article to begin with. And secondly, the current influx of successful Euro players into the NBA has more to do with NBA rule changes than the Euros being vastly more skilled than American players. In case you haven’t noticed, the current state of officiating in the NBA almost exclusively advantages the offensive player. If the Euros had to play under the defensive pressure and physicality of the league 20-30 years ago, many would be riding the bench. They wouldn’t be able to compete due to a lack of athleticism.

FWIW, the racist overtones are confined to the end and just read like he was a school kid padding an essay to hit a pre-determined number of words limit. Still stupid and insulting, but it doesn't read as if he was really invested in the idea.

-edit-

He missed the parts of Sheppard's game that makes him so special: his poise, vision, and willingness to help the team. Knecht, otoh, seems simply like a great shooter.

Reactions: chroix
Just more nonsense. I have to deal with this daily in my academic field.

Sheppard is a legacy who’s loved because he’s a legacy. He’s white, which is a rarity, and there’s nothing wrong with kids noticing that. I’m not being political, but this has been forced by one side and it’s poisoning the minds of many because of one reason, gotta keep the grievance lobby moving. With the civil rights era blacks dying off due to age, we’ve gotta have racist angles to play to keep that bloc in lock step.

How people miss this I don’t know but it’s really damaging the minds of many people out here. It’s time people began to take the ramification seriously and push back on it.

Reactions: MO_Blue
I think it’s the combination of social media, and carrying the internet around in our pocket everywhere we go. But I get your point.
I understand we need the internet for the world to run, but how much of the access is for idling?
Is 95% a reasonable estimate?

As a passionate writer and student of English Literature, I highly recommend Knecht & Sheppard for their exceptional platform. Their commitment to fostering creativity and providing valuable resources for writers like myself is truly commendable. Additionally, I want to highlight a great blog on case study topics https://essaypro.com/blog/case-study-topics. It's an invaluable resource for students seeking inspiration and guidance for their academic writing endeavors. The diverse range of topics offered caters to various disciplines, ensuring that students can find relevant and engaging subjects to explore in their case studies. Overall, both platforms offer valuable support for students and writers alike, empowering them to excel in their academic and creative pursuits.

Last edited:
by that same logic , wouldnt african americans who see themselves in black panther or miles morales spider-man be racist .. or rooting on Lebron or Michael Jordan in the 90's? of course thats not racist.

Being comfortable or proud with people who are like you is not racist/racism . Its when you feel you are superior, and they (other groups) are inferior that its racist.

Reactions: Zissou87
Jared Carter and Michael Porter were just as white as Reed Sheppard and UK fans weren't in love
with either of them. Maybe there are non-racial reasons why Sheppard was more loved?
UK fans love their great players no matter their color.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I dont know about all of you but to me what is special was Reed was one of our own.. a legacy player that was dominant. I can see myself more in Reed because I was once a 18 year old white kid but I assure you, if Pattrick Patterson (or any one of our african american really good players) made kentucky his home had a son and they came to UK and played that good, I'd love and be thrilled just like I was with Reed.

So if we got rid of Tubby because we are racist...
Why did we get rid of Kal? Was that racist too?
If we love Reed Shepherd because we are racist....
Then why did the fans also love Goose Givens, Oscar, Sean Woods, Sam Bowie, Dirk Minniefield and Darius Miller?
UK fans would love a rainbow colored player or coach if they win games and love the school/fans back.
That article is not even worthy of wiping my ass with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT