ADVERTISEMENT

April 8, 2024 Eclipse

Feb 9, 2011
https://nationaleclipse.com/cities_total.html

Watch it be cloudy. Southern Illinois gets near max again. That'll be two in a row for them for eclipses in the United States. I don't know whether to go to Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois or just drive to Henderson.

Henderson is two and a half minutes. Paducah less than 2 minutes. Marion and Carbondale will be 4 minutes plus. If you've never seen a total eclipse, get in your car or hitchhike and take off work. Don't watch a partial.

I went to Hopkinsville for the last one. I’ll find a good spot for this one too
We were close. I was in very eastern Trigg county near what was supposed to be the best spot on the Earth that day.

Union County should be pushing 3 minutes. I think of the coolness of being at Garden of the Gods for this, but there's also the pain of getting back out of there with all the traffic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...client=ms-android-google#imgrc=TVUEVIg_3LcciM

I camped out at LBL within a half mile of the peak for the last one. Pretty cool, glad I did it. Not sure if I would do it again though, that was a hot ass day to be camping.

I watched it from the comfort of my back yard here in Paducah. Would have rather have been in the LBL.

I rushed out of bg on the last one since it was time to get off and I live just north of city about ten minutes, when I got to my house it wasn't a full darkness. Basically missed it by 15 miles.

I saw the last one from a spot in Tennessee south of Glasgow. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. I’ll be taking off for the next one.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I was swimming in my lake drinking a beer wearing goggles last time. Probably be too cold this time to swim but looking forward to it.

After the total eclipse on April 8, 2024, the next total solar eclipse that can be seen from the contiguous United States will be on Aug. 23, 2044.

The 2023 eclipse is an annular. Texas gets two eclipses in 7.5 months or so.

Last edited:
I watched it from the comfort of my back yard here in Paducah. Would have rather have been in the LBL.
We were camped in the back of Davenport Bay where the creek runs in near the bridge. There weren't a lot of options by the time we got there, place was packed.

It was nearly 100 degrees that day and we were nowhere near sober, it was brutal. I put a tarp down in the mud at the bank and laid on it to cool off at one point.

Reactions: roguemocha
We were camped in the back of Davenport Bay where the creek runs in near the bridge. There weren't a lot of options by the time we got there, place was packed.

It was nearly 100 degrees that day and we were nowhere near sober, it was brutal. I put a tarp down in the mud at the bank and laid on it to cool off at one point.

That sounds about as much fun as eating a bunch of mushrooms at night in the gorge.

I was in my uncles backyard pool in Marshall County. Drove in from northern Ohio. Amazingly cool. Can't wait for next year.

Reactions: bbncal02
I camped out at LBL within a half mile of the peak for the last one. Pretty cool, glad I did it. Not sure if I would do it again though, that was a hot ass day to be camping.
It was a hot freaking day. But man when that eclipse hit. Temperature dropped a go 10-15 degrees. It was wild. you could see all the planes in the sky that were previously blinded out by sun.

Thankuflly we know what causes them. Can you imagine the first humans seeing this? Ow wonder people were terrified.

Reactions: 80 Proof
I lived in Clarksville, TN on the other side of FT Campbell from Hoptown when the last one came through.
21014115_1813341925344355_7875036080615402281_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT