ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember this game: 1994, UCLA vs. Kentucky. The meltdown game.

I remember the game. I remembered it was a one point game although I had forgotten we blew a late game lead. I can’t rewatch games that we lose though.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I watched this game as a kid, and I remember it was the first regular season game of my youth that truly haunted me for a few days afterward. UK was in complete control throughout this game, but some mental mistakes at the end of the game allowed the eventual national champions UCLA to pull off the comeback.

I was there, and watched when Pope missed a late FT allowing Edney to finish us off.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I watched this game as a kid, and I remember it was the first regular season game of my youth that truly haunted me for a few days afterward. UK was in complete control throughout this game, but some mental mistakes at the end of the game allowed the eventual national champions UCLA to pull off the comeback.

I do remember this game but I’m gonna enjoy the replay. Thanks for posting this bro!

Starting lineup:

Epps
Delk
Rhodes
McCarty
Pope

Many studs on that team that would carry us the next year. I recall yelling to get Prickett out of the game. 😂

And it was clean block!

The baseline official (lead) called the foul from across the paint. The ball was on the Center official’s side and if he passed on it, then the Lead should’ve trusted and passed as well. Don’t fish in other’s ponds unless you’re pulling out a monster! That wasn’t at all a monster. That was a good clean defensive play. Lead official should’ve trusted his partner. Facts!

Edney with one of the best buzzer beater in NCAA history to propel the Bruins to the title run. Would’ve loved to have gotten a rematch in the Final Four.

The worst uniforms in UK history too!

Last edited:
I remember thinking the officiating was rather one sided. I think i remember one of the obannon’s running straight over rod rhodes and it getting called a block and the obannon brother grinning as his teammates helped him out of the crowd.

I do remember this game but I’m gonna enjoy the replay. Thanks for posting this bro!

Starting lineup:

Epps
Delk
Rhodes
McCarty
Pope

Many studs on that team that would carry us the next year. I recall yelling to get Prickett out of the game. 😂

And it was clean block!

The baseline official (lead) called the foul from across the paint. The ball was on the Center official’s side and if he passed on it, then the Lead should’ve trusted and passed as well. Don’t fish in other’s ponds unless you’re pulling out a monster! That wasn’t at all a monster. That was a good clean defensive play. Lead official should’ve trusted his partner. Facts!

Edney with one of the best buzzer beater in NCAA history to propel the Bruins to the title run. Would’ve loved to have gotten a rematch in the Final Four.

The worst uniforms in UK history too!
Absolutely a clean block! I recall being IRATE!

I remember thinking the officiating was rather one sided….
Interesting that one of the refs, Gerry Donaghy, gave Pitino a T for his priceless reaction to the foul on Rhodes. Those 2 free throws may have made a difference between winning and losing this game.

If the name sounds familiar, his son Tim Donaghy was a referee in the NBA, notorious for betting on games.

I do remember that game! Hard to believe it was nearly 29 years ago, those teams sure gave fans some great memories.

Have it on vhs. I taped pretty much every game between '93-'98

That was a GREAT game. Too bad the refs ruined it by making an absolutely shitty call at the very end of the game. Was basically a road game for UK and they should’ve won, looking at it objectively. Still pisses me off, since UCLA was the eventual national champ that season. Make no mistake, that was an excellent UK squad.

Oh yes. It was in my second year at Uk watching at a buddies apartment. I was less mature then, and I really got pissed watching that unfold. I think I threw something. When that ball went off Popes leg I knew the Bruins would win it. Heck, Coach Wooden was courtside, so it felt like he would wave a wand and UCLA would win or something. I was beside myself, because I knew how good ucla was going to be. Would have been a great win. For as great as Rick was during my time there, games slipped away like that on occasion.

Yeah, and I had wiped it from my brain. Thanks.

First game I can remember watching as a kid and just getting really frustrated and couldn't understand what the heck was going on. Also one of the first games where I learned the refs LOVE to give us the screws.

I remember thinking the officiating was rather one sided. I think i remember one of the obannon’s running straight over rod rhodes and it getting called a block and the obannon brother grinning as his teammates helped him out of the crowd.
I vaugely recall that awful call . And that grin ticked me off; Like "haha we're getting away with it." As I've said before, nothing burns my biscuits more than a smug cheater.

Meh, not gonna watch that garbage. Watched some of it, skimming through it. Saw several egregious calls. Delk’s 4th one was flat out terrible. Jesus.
This is why I love BBN. Show a little footage from a December regular season game that was played about 30 years ago, and our blood begins to boil like it did on the exact night the game happened.

I love this fan base.

And it was clean block!

Neverr thought I'd say this on here, or any basketball board....When pertaining to officiating..

BUt great insight. Have you officiated?

Yeah I have a bunch as well. About 15 years ago I tried to rewatch some. That didn't go well. Half the tapes were ate by the vcr and most the quality was so bad I stopped watching. VcRs were a joke looking back now.

My parents have all of mine. Been sitting in the same cabinet for at least 20 years untouched.

I don't even have a vcr but my parents did up until probably 10 years ago. Last thing I remember watching was "Clawing to the Top" narrated by Charlie McAlexander...story of '92-'93 Cats. That was probably around 2010.

My parents have all of mine. Been sitting in the same cabinet for at least 20 years untouched.

I don't even have a vcr but my parents did up until probably 10 years ago. Last thing I remember watching was "Clawing to the Top" narrated by Charlie McAlexander...story of '92-'93 Cats. That was probably around 2010.
Damn, I loved that 1993 team! GREAT basketball team.

I had forgotten about the block (definitely clean). My main memory was the ball bouncing off Pope's leg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT