ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody seen Bill Walton?

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
There can’t be enough weed on the entire West Coast to keep his brain numb while the “Conference of Champions” gets sold off like cheap TVs on Black Friday at a Pasadena Walmart.

He’ll be lucky to get a gig catching the last leg of a Big Ten Network quadruple header when Rutgers or Northwestern has to travel to the Pacific Northwest for those midnight eastern time games.

There can’t be enough weed on the entire West Coast to keep his brain numb while the “Conference of Champions” gets sold off like cheap TVs on Black Friday at a Pasadena Walmart.

He’ll be lucky to get a gig catching the last leg of a Big Ten Network quadruple header when Rutgers or Northwestern has to travel to the Pacific Northwest for those midnight eastern time games.
You will have to ask him in 5 years when he figures it out on a random broadcast of a 12AM Rutgers/USC game.

Last edited:
I caught wind that ESPN, frustrated that K has retired and still full of Puke homer employees, will be hiring Bill to call every Kentucky game they broadcast, remotely from his back patio in California, as an "eff you" to Kentucky fans.

Nah, seriously though. He's probably vacationing "off grid" with a sherpa here in the Colorado mountains high out of his mind.

Believe it or not I may meet him in 2 and 1/2 weeks from now. He is a speaker at a conference I am attending. The evening before his presentation there is a smaller private party that I am invited to for supposed VIP's. I think it's for speakers too so I am hoping he is there. I will be glad to hear his thoughts on the Pac 12 and what's happening if he is there. So all jokes aside if there is that opportunity I will post upon my return what was said.

If he never worked another job he's still the "luckiest man in the world".

I caught wind that ESPN, frustrated that K has retired and still full of Puke homer employees, will be hiring Bill to call every Kentucky game they broadcast, remotely from his back patio in California, as an "eff you" to Kentucky fans.

Nah, seriously though. He's probably vacationing "off grid" with a sherpa here in the Colorado mountains high out of his mind.
He's out somewhere smelling colors

Your opinion please MdW...😂

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
He's self-medicating.

bong disguise GIF

Believe it or not I may meet him in 2 and 1/2 weeks from now. He is a speaker at a conference I am attending. The evening before his presentation there is a smaller private party that I am invited to for supposed VIP's. I think it's for speakers too so I am hoping he is there. I will be glad to hear his thoughts on the Pac 12 and what's happening if he is there. So all jokes aside if there is that opportunity I will post upon my return what was said.
I went to the Athletic Business conference about 12 years ago and he was the keynote speaker. He was very good! I met him once when he was shooting clips for ESPN at Oregon. Super nice guy to everyone.

Between the PAC-12 evaporating and Dead & Co playing their last shows, been a rough few weeks for Bill.

That would be very interesting- I thought the 4 part "30 for 30" about him was pretty good

Bill's randomness did make staying up late on Saturday nights watching PAC-12 basketball interesting at times. Never know what is going to come out of his mouth.
Well stated. I wouldn't want to listen to him calling UK games but late at night watching a game that would typically not interest me, he could be entertaining to listen to.

I go back on forth on Walton. He's a definite homer.. But one of the UK games he called, he was very knowledgeable about UK, and its history. And gave UK pretty good props & respect during the game. There are a lot worse out there.

The recent documentary about him was great. Made me really like him. I watched him play when I was a young(er) man and thought he was one of the best players I had ever seen. Even given the foot/leg problems he and many other big guys have had, he had an incredible career. Very intelligent, just a bit different. I think being a bit different can be good.

Reactions: Zissou87
The recent documentary about him was great. Made me really like him. I watched him play when I was a young(er) man and thought he was one of the best players I had ever seen. Even given the foot/leg problems he and many other big guys have had, he had an incredible career. Very intelligent, just a bit different. I think being a bit different can be good.
I’ll have to check out that documentary.

I’ll have to check out that documentary.
I'm pretty sure it was a 30 for 30 on ESPN. I know folks bitch all the time about how much athletes make, but when you see some of the greats get in to their sixties and seventies and have trouble walking, etc. because of the abuse their bodies take to play sports at the highest levels, I have a hard time criticizing them for taking every dollar they can get. No different than my friends that have worked in auto factories. I know that is a good career, especially for someone without a professional education, but it will wear a man down over a career. That is one of the reasons that the unions fight so hard for those folks, like coal miners. You may out earn those around you between the ages of 20 and 50, but you will eventually pay for it.

I'm pretty sure it was a 30 for 30 on ESPN. I know folks bitch all the time about how much athletes make, but when you see some of the greats get in to their sixties and seventies and have trouble walking, etc. because of the abuse their bodies take to play sports at the highest levels, I have a hard time criticizing them for taking every dollar they can get. No different than my friends that have worked in auto factories. I know that is a good career, especially for someone without a professional education, but it will wear a man down over a career. That is one of the reasons that the unions fight so hard for those folks, like coal miners. You may out earn those around you between the ages of 20 and 50, but you will eventually pay for it.
I agree with you 100 percent

Somebody needs to be watching Bill, he might be contemplating a long walk off a short pier.

USC is going to hold their own in football, as will Nike Univ (Oregon). But I think Arizona might be the only basketball power from the old Pac12 to regularly compete for a Top 5 spot in the bruising B1G.

Long ago I had a couple encounters with him at, of all places, a YMCA in San Diego. Seemed quite friendly ...giving a big ole hello to everyone he crossed with that same goofy smile we see on TV.

Before that, I had thought his TV persona might just be an act. Changed my mind after seeing him in person. I think that basically is his real personality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT