ADVERTISEMENT

Amari Williams - 6’-10” F/C from Drexel

Out of all the bigs currently in the portal, this is the guy I think is the best fit and who I want most.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I know we can't take them all, but here is another big guy I'd love to see Pope go after:

He moves and shoots really well for a 7 footer. I don't know if there's any way you could sell Williams and Wolf on splitting time at the 5, but there is a year of separation between them. Perhaps with the right plan and a generous NIL deal, you might bring them both aboard. Considering Pope is starting out with basically an empty roster, I sure wouldn't be opposed to it.

It would be great if we could land a combination of seniors, juniors and maybe even a sophomore from the portal so that we can have some spacing and balance in our roster. That way every year isn't a complete rebuilding year. This is something we never got to experience during the Cal era.

Yeah, I'm sure Pope would have recruited some of them at BYU too, if it had been possible. The stringent requirements for going to school there isn't exactly conducive to signing burger boys. No beer, no smoke, no caffeine and no sex? Yeah, good luck with that! It is amazing he had a top 15 caliber team with such built-in limitations.

Reactions: Ukgold
IMO Burks is a pretty good stretch 4!
I'm fine with Burks getting 20 minutes per game as a forward like Fousseyni Traore had with BYU and Jordan having limited experience already in the SEC and a year in the Kentucky program. They still need to be looking for experience and depth ahead that can light it up from 3 with this massive roster rebuild. Burks is the typical college player from the old days that we're going to get to see his game develop over time if he decides to stick it out here. I want Thiero back as well to be a glue guy on this team.

Reactions: treyforuk
Williams is an grown man thats what we been needing instead of a skinny little bean pole like Z that gets pushed around

Reactions: dl51344
I know we can't take them all, but here is another big guy I'd love to see Pope go after:

He moves and shoots really well for a 7 footer. I don't know if there's any way you could sell Williams and Wolf on splitting time at the 5, but there is a year of separation between them. Perhaps with the right plan and a generous NIL deal, you might bring them both aboard. Considering Pope is starting out with basically an empty roster, I sure wouldn't be opposed to it.

It would be great if we could land a combination of seniors, juniors and maybe even a sophomore from the portal so that we can have some spacing and balance in our roster. That way every year isn't a complete rebuilding year. This is something we never got to experience during the Cal era.
Danny Wolf was on Team Israel for the FIBA U-20s, and he is from the Chicago suburbs. I would expect Duke to aggressively pursue him because Jon Scheyer was also a Jewish kid from the Chicago suburbs.

I know that some Big 10 schools would love to have him, but UConn and its proximity to Yale also makes a lot of sense for a team that is losing their center to the NBA.

We can’t get everyone who looks like a good fit. We just need to get enough. Enough depends, but may be 4-6.

Reactions: Catzman
If Z comes back, Williams will be a much-needed force on defense to protect the paint with the physicality of the SEC. If not Williams, I am still high on Jonas Aidoo. If you think everyone in Pope's system has to shoot like Dirk in a 5-out offense and want Williams. It's not much difference at all from 3 between Williams & Aidoo. Aidoo 8-33 from 3 in 3 years, Williams 8-26 in 4 years. Kentucky will still need physicality and a rim protector in the SEC.

Yeah, I'm sure Pope would have recruited some of them at BYU too, if it had been possible. The stringent requirements for going to school there isn't exactly conducive to signing burger boys. No beer, no smoke, no caffeine and no sex? Yeah, good luck with that! It is amazing he had a top 15 caliber team with such built-in limitations.
i think this has been down played.Who wants to go to byu its like body odor

• Haha
Reactions: blubo and BigTyrone
This would be a good get. People keep blabbering about offense constantly the last few days but you aren't winning anything without any defense.

You might make a fluky final four run like bama but gonna run into a team that can slow your offense down eventually.
Even Pope alluded to the same about the defense at one point in the press conference. After last year getting pushed around, this should be all the evidence anyone needs that a brute inside is necessary. Fousseyni Traore, built like Chuck Hayes was one for them and not a threat from beyond the arc in Pope's offensive sets.

Just watched some of this dude's highlights. He drops dimes, has a great bounce pass, and is a mauler inside. Maybe not the greatest shooter, but he's someone who can crash boards and get putbacks when we miss 3s.

I can dig it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT