ADVERTISEMENT

All this talk that the SEC is bad...

Blueisbest

All-American
Mar 22, 2003
Right now we have 2 ranked teams. The same as the Big Ten, the Big East, and the PAC 12. If our conference is bad then so are all these other conferences. Yet, you never hear any media talk down about those other conferences. Only the SEC.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

It is revenge for football dominance. The SEC in general has never been quite as bad a people and media make it out, just not super either outside of UK and Florida over the last few years.

The SEC is always terrible. Duke is always excellent. Repeated and believed by many year after year.

Our football conference being so Dominant is one reason the media loves to pile on. It being the conference of UK is the other.

LAst time I looked, the sec had 2 teams in the top 25 and 7 teams in the top 40 of the BPI. FAR from a bad or even mediocre league. Yet try and get some of "SEC SUCKS" bashers to admit it is impossible. They will just dismiss all the good, admit only the bad, and reject anything relative, like how we stack up to other conferences. The media has played this narrative perfectly.

This post was edited on 1/15 2:39 PM by .S&C.

Originally posted by 83Cat:
Next week one team since UT beat Arkansas.
This. Arkansas and LSU are supposed to be the 2nd best teams yet they have embarrassed themselves losing to one of the worst 4 teams in the league each IMO.

To be fair, they both off-set that a bit by winning a game at UGA and Ole miss respectively that is a quality road win.

The SEC always gets off to an atrocious start. They'll have three or four teams lose games to directional schools in November.

By the time the first of the year rolls around, the league is usually formidable.

Those early games have to do probably with the fact that those teams are still in football mode. The gyms will be half-filled at that. There's no home court advantage to speak of. In those environments weird losses tend to happen.

The SEC is not as bad as some say. But don't fool yourself, it ain't that good either.

People focus too much on those early bad OOC losses and place way too much weight on them... NC state lost to Wofford, and Miami to EKU and Green Bay I think yet those teams were good enough to beat Duke

The SEC dominates in football, baseball. Therefore, the media tries to crucify bball. Sec basketball has addressed the weak out of conference scheduling and has hired some up and coming coaches. The SEC has had 3 teams win it all UK, Fla, and Ark within the last 25 years. Not too many other conferences can say that. Big 12 No, Big 10 No, Pac 12 No

For all of the big 10 and ohio state fans out there, the sec will send more kids to the nfl and will have the top recruiting classes this year too. OSU won the title this year fair and square by beating BAMA but you played a weak ass schedule in conference and out of conference. Hello VT. OSU would have lost 2-3 games playing in the SEC. OSU got the time to get better after losing MIller by playing in a weak ass big 10. You would have never have gotten the time you needed playing SEC teams back to back to back. Even in a year when the SEC lost the majority of their starting QB's to the nfl. Enjoy the championship while you can. GBB

Originally posted by reignof cats:

..."OSU won the title this year fair and square by beating BAMA but you played a weak ass schedule in conference and out of conference. Hello VT. OSU would have lost 2-3 games playing in the SEC. OSU got the time to get better after losing MIller by playing in a weak ass big 10."...
I'm far from an Ohio St. fan...but they played the hand that was dealt them (including the playoffs)---they were far from exposed---I believe you are on an island with this one...

Originally posted by dotcomok:

..."OSU won the title this year fair and square by beating BAMA but you played a weak ass schedule in conference and out of conference. Hello VT. OSU would have lost 2-3 games playing in the SEC. OSU got the time to get better after losing MIller by playing in a weak ass big 10."...
I'm far from an Ohio St. fan...but they played the hand that was dealt them (including the playoffs)---they were far from exposed---I believe you are on an island with this one...
You are missing the point. The point is osu was a great team at the end of the year. At the beginning of the year they were not. They would not have had the TIME to get better and win if they played an sec schedule. EVERY year OSU plays a Big 10 schedule with teams that have inferior talent. That is a nice hand to play. The SEC teams do not have that luxury and hope to hell they don't lose half of their starters to the nfl and start from scratch next year. There is a difference in who you play, where you play them, and when you have to play them. If you can remember the Big 10 had no major ooc wins this year by week 4. MSU lost to Oregon, OSU lost to VT, Wisc lost to LSU. Everybody wrote the big 10 off. How is that for an island? OSU got the time to find its team by years end. The ironic part of it is that OSU might not have won it with JT BARRET. CJ can play. OSU's offensive line and EZiekiel Eliot took over their last 4 games. The line of scrimmage is where you win football games and championships. GBB

This post was edited on 1/15 5:06 PM by reignof cats

This post was edited on 1/15 5:09 PM by reignof cats

I think the SEC is underrated. But whether it is or not doesn't matter. UK is going to make a run for a ninth ncaa title regardless. That is all I care about.

You are missing the point. The point is osu was a great team at the end of the year. At the beginning of the year they were not. They would not have had the TIME to get better and win if they played an sec schedule. EVERY year OSU plays a Big 10 schedule with teams that have inferior talent. That is a nice hand to play. The SEC teams do not have that luxury and hope to hell they don't lose half of their starters to the nfl and start from scratch next year. There is a difference in who you play, where you play them, and when you have to play them. If you can remember the Big 10 had no major ooc wins this year by week 4. MSU lost to Oregon, OSU lost to VT, Wisc lost to LSU. Everybody wrote the big 10 off. How is that for an island? OSU got the time to find its team by years end. The ironic part of it is that OSU might not have won it with JT BARRET. CJ can play. OSU's offensive line and EZiekiel Eliot took over their last 4 games. The line of scrimmage is where you win football games and championships. GBB

sheesh... by your logic, they aren't worthy unless they played in the SEC... the reality is they shut up the toughest teams in the playoff system everyone wanted to see. I don't know how you can criticize their championship.

sheesh... by your logic, they aren't worthy unless they played in the SEC... the reality is they shut up the toughest teams in the playoff system everyone wanted to see. I don't know how you can criticize their championship.
That is the same logic that UK and the sec get from every one else in basketball. Please read the entire statement. I said OSU was a great team by the end of the year. OSU dominated the Line of Scrimmage in their last 4 games. I will say it 1 more time for you OSU deserves the title. However, the SEC is still the best conference. GBB

This post was edited on 1/15 5:41 PM by reignof cats

Arkansas will still be ranked, barely. Unless they lose this weekend. That said, the SEC isn't the worst power conference this year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That is the same logic that UK and the sec get from every one else in basketball. Please read the entire statement. I said OSU was a great team by the end of the year. OSU dominated the Line of Scrimmage in their last 4 games. I say it 1 more time for you OSU deserves the title. However, the SEC is still the best conference. GBB
I caught your point... but I wonder if OSU cares that they played in a weaker conference, but beat the best of the SEC and won a natty championship? Keeping on topic---I doubt any UK fan will care how weak the SEC is rated---when they beat the best (in the Final 4) and win the title this year.

That is the same logic that UK and the sec get from every one else in basketball. Please read the entire statement. I said OSU was a great team by the end of the year. OSU dominated the Line of Scrimmage in their last 4 games. I say it 1 more time for you OSU deserves the title. However, the SEC is still the best conference. GBB
I caught your point... but I wonder if OSU cares that they played in a weaker conference, but beat the best of the SEC and won a natty championship? Keeping on topic---I doubt any UK fan will care how weak the SEC is rated---when they beat the best (in the Final 4) and win the title this year.
It is what it is. I hope you are right about the CATS. Winning 9 is all that matters. Everyone else can say what they want but the Cats played a tough non conference schedule and everyone in the sec gets up to play the cats.
Football would be better now if the power 5 conferences played each other instead of cupcakes with the new playoff format. Big 10 vs. SEC one week, Pac 12 vs Big 12 one week, acc vs sec, etc. like they do in basketball the whole league matches up with each other. Add that with the regular conference schedule. GBB
This post was edited on 1/15 6:08 PM by reignof cats

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Our football conference being so Dominant is one reason the media loves to pile on. It being the conference of UK is the other.

LAst time I looked, the sec had 2 teams in the top 25 and 7 teams in the top 40 of the BPI. FAR from a bad or even mediocre league. Yet try and get some of "SEC SUCKS" bashers to admit it is impossible. They will just dismiss all the good, admit only the bad, and reject anything relative, like how we stack up to other conferences. The media has played this narrative perfectly.

SHHHHH you are making too much sense. At this point if you think the SEC is anything but good , not great you just don't either A. watch CBB or B. don't know CBB . It has 7-8 teams who could go on a suprise elite 8 / final 4 run but those teams also could end up being left out of the dance and 2-3 of them will since the SEC will only get 5 into the dance. Arkansas lost to UT but UT has shown they can play really well ( surprising the crap out of me !) so despite what some say it is not a bad loss. LSU is a top 25 team IMO but they to lost to Mizzou which IS a horrible loss but i think that has to do with coaching . UGA is the kind of team , like UT last year , who we turn around and they are playing Iowa ST in the sweet 16 or the like. My point is the SEC is on the way up and by next season will be damn good.

Originally posted by BlueBomb:

The SEC is not as bad as some say. But don't fool yourself, it ain't that good either.
And the bottom half is the worst of all major conferences.......and it's not even close.

One of the problems the SEC has is pathetic fan support. Sometimes that translates into losing early season games against so so teams when there are about 300 people in the arena.

Originally posted by caneintally:

Originally posted by .S&C.:

SHHHHH you are making too much sense. At this point if you think the SEC is anything but good , not great you just don't either A. watch CBB or B. don't know CBB . It has 7-8 teams who could go on a suprise elite 8 / final 4 run but those teams also could end up being left out of the dance and 2-3 of them will since the SEC will only get 5 into the dance. Arkansas lost to UT but UT has shown they can play really well ( surprising the crap out of me !) so despite what some say it is not a bad loss. LSU is a top 25 team IMO but they to lost to Mizzou which IS a horrible loss but i think that has to do with coaching . UGA is the kind of team , like UT last year , who we turn around and they are playing Iowa ST in the sweet 16 or the like. My point is the SEC is on the way up and by next season will be damn good.
I couldn't agree more cane. That is why I stand behind what I said about Tennessee being a "sleeper" to win the SEC tournament a few weeks ago. They have the pieces to do it if we were knocked out (unlikely) and their road opened up.

What I really find hilarious, is the SEC bashers only show up in losses to bad teams. Do they give credit to Ole Miss when they push the best team in the nation into overtime? no. Do they show up when teams from other conferences have equally as bad of losses? The ACC has terrible losses this year, but still, it goes unnoticed to them. Like I said, the media plays this perfectly by ignoring the woes of these other leagues. The northeast media does NOT want to give the SEC another crown for another sport. SO I believe this contributes, not necessarily determines, how they report on these matters. It's reasons like this that we at times will have an overall conference rating by some systems as high as 2 or 3, and at the same time the bashers can't make sense of it; but I can, you're brainwashed.

We are not the best league, we are not the worst league, we are a very good and athletic league. By far the most underrated league in the nation imo.

If they SEC didn't have teams this year drop some boneheaded games to help the narrative along, we would have 5-7 ranked teams right now.

This post was edited on 1/15 6:57 PM by .S&C.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT