ADVERTISEMENT

A little morbid I know

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
If you know someone that was cremated, what was the coolest place where you spread their ashes? My grandmother and grandfather were spread at the finish line of Churchill. My grandfather was a jockey until he got hurt and then was an outrider on the NYRA circuit. I'll trash Churchill but they were very accommodating. I used to have the newspaper of a story in the metro section of the CJ where they mention it because it was right around Derby time.

I spread ashes of a man from Oregon, in the Paddock at Churchill Downs, (with permission)many years ago while I worked there. He was a big horse better and his dream was to visit that track before he died. He didn’t make it. The wife and family flew there and I was the first customer service person they met. Sorta freaked me out, but they were happy. They flew back home the same day on the red eye.

Years ago, a good friend was killed in a car crash, and per his request, his mom placed his ashes into an old ceramic Darth Vader cookie jar. I love that, and I want my ashes to rest in the bay of my Kenner Millennium Falcon. Seriously.

After Mark Gruenwald, the writer of Marvel's Squadron Supreme, passed away in '96, his ashes were mixed in with the ink of the first printing of the Squadron Supreme trade paperback. I have a copy and like to show it to my students. "Ladies and gentlemen, when you're holding that book, you're actually holding tiny burned-up pieces of its writer". Most are just like "meh", but some of the reactions are great. XD

If you know someone that was cremated, what was the coolest place where you spread their ashes? My grandmother and grandfather were spread at the finish line of Churchill. My grandfather was a jockey until he got hurt and then was an outrider on the NYRA circuit. I'll trash Churchill but they were very accommodating. I used to have the newspaper of a story in the metro section of the CJ where they mention it because it was right around Derby time.
My uncle (dad's brother) was cremated when he passed. When my dad, my brother, and I took a golf trip to Scotland, my dad took the ashes with us and spread his ashes off the Swilcan bridge on the 18th hole of St. Andrews when we played there.

My stepfather was cremated when he passed. He was a huge ND fan and a Morehead State alum. Part of his ashes are at MSU and part are near the grotto on the ND campus.

Glenn....when was he a jockey and what tracks? No names need mentioned. Just wondering if he may have known my uncle and cousin.

Glenn....when was he a jockey and what tracks? No names need mentioned. Just wondering if he may have known my uncle and cousin.
He retired late 70s from being an out rider. I am actually not sure when his riding career was over but at latest it was the 60s. All of the winners circle pictures were from NY tracks. My sister went to Wagners last week with one of his WC photos and I believe they hung it up.

He retired late 70s from being an out rider. I am actually not sure when his riding career was over but at latest it was the 60s. All of the winners circle pictures were from NY tracks. My sister went to Wagners last week with one of his WC photos and I believe they hung it up.

Looks like he retired before my cousin was riding in NY during his apprenticeship in the late 80's.

Reactions: Glenn's take
I’ve signed off on having my body donated to a nearby university, to be used in either the college of medicine or the college of mortuary science. They’ll keep my body for up to a year, then cremate the remains. Ashes will be placed with others at a local cemetery. No spreading, no keeping ashes in an urn on a mantle somewhere. Easy peasy!

I’ve signed off on having my body donated to a nearby university, to be used in either the college of medicine or the college of mortuary science. They’ll keep my body for up to a year, then cremate the remains. Ashes will be placed with others at a local cemetery. No spreading, no keeping ashes in an urn on a mantle somewhere. Easy peasy!
I hadn't thought about that but will check into it. Funerals are expensive and cemeteries are a waste of land. I told my wife that I'd much rather she took the money for a funeral and went on a trip with friends or do something else with it and told her she could toss my ashes in the ocean, river, sand at the beach, in the trash or flush them down the toilet. Had my mom cremated and tossed her ashes (per her request) on my dad's grave.

I hadn't thought about that but will check into it. Funerals are expensive and cemeteries are a waste of land. I told my wife that I'd much rather she took the money for a funeral and went on a trip with friends or do something else with it and told her she could toss my ashes in the ocean, river, sand at the beach, in the trash or flush them down the toilet. Had my mom cremated and tossed her ashes (per her request) on my dad's grave.

I did it because I’ve always thought that the worst tradition in the history of mankind is the funeral. A bunch of people gathered around, wearing black, somber and crying and looking down at my dead carcass in a box. No thanks.

Signing up was easy. They sent me a form to fill out. I had to sign in front of two witnesses. The only cost will be to transport my dead ass to the university. Has to be a medical transport after a coroner pronounces me dead. Probably $500. A small fraction of the cost of a funeral.

I’ve told my girlfriend and my kids that if they want to do something after I’m gone it better be a party. No tears, no sadness, and damn sure no prayers or mentions of “he’s in a better place”. Play some of my favorite music, drink up all the wine I have in my basement, and tell funny stories about me and spend the day laughing.

I did it because I’ve always thought that the worst tradition in the history of mankind is the funeral. A bunch of people gathered around, wearing black, somber and crying and looking down at my dead carcass in a box. No thanks.

Signing up was easy. They sent me a form to fill out. I had to sign in front of two witnesses. The only cost will be to transport my dead ass to the university. Has to be a medical transport after a coroner pronounces me dead. Probably $500. A small fraction of the cost of a funeral.

I’ve told my girlfriend and my kids that if they want to do something after I’m gone it better be a party. No tears, no sadness, and damn sure no prayers or mentions of “he’s in a better place”. Play some of my favorite music, drink up all the wine I have in my basement, and tell funny stories about me and spend the day laughing.
Same here. Told her if she wanted to, order some pizza & wings, bring a cooler full of beer, set up my music playlist to play and have some friends over. If not, it certainly won't be a big deal to me. I've felt that way since my first wife's uncle died unexpectedly, leaving behind a wife and two kids, ages 9 & 11. They had a Mason's funeral for him, and it was by far the creepiest funeral I've ever seen. Watching those kids standing there next to their dead dad in tears and sadness convinced me never to put my kids through that shit. I want everyone to move on quickly as possible when I croak.

Same here. Told her if she wanted to, order some pizza & wings, bring a cooler full of beer, set up my music playlist to play and have some friends over. If not, it certainly won't be a big deal to me. I've felt that way since my first wife's uncle died unexpectedly, leaving behind a wife and two kids, ages 9 & 11. They had a Mason's funeral for him, and it was by far the creepiest funeral I've ever seen. Watching those kids standing there next to their dead dad in tears and sadness convinced me never to put my kids through that shit. I want everyone to move on quickly as possible when I croak.

Right on!

Reactions: JDHoss

I feel the same way , My parents are hitting 80 so time coming , My mom is like me my dad loves going to viewings and services. They dont get along but exist together. No services planned as nothing set up and either me or mom in charge of dad's and there isnt going to be a service either way.

I remember as a kid having to go to some and one where someone reached in the casket hugging the dead body and I was like not for me. There are ways your body can be used to grow a tree or a casket made from some sort of mushroom material and it all breaks down in a few yrs. To me cheapest way to remove the body, mine included.

Plan on the same, JD. Can’t stand the thought of laying in a casket for a century or two. Scatter my ashes by my puppies burial sites.

Reactions: JDHoss
I feel the same way , My parents are hitting 80 so time coming , My mom is like me my dad loves going to viewings and services. They dont get along but exist together. No services planned as nothing set up and either me or mom in charge of dad's and there isnt going to be a service either way.

I remember as a kid having to go to some and one where someone reached in the casket hugging the dead body and I was like not for me. There are ways your body can be used to grow a tree or a casket made from some sort of mushroom material and it all breaks down in a few yrs. To me cheapest way to remove the body, mine included.
Absolutely. It was in the 60's, but I can still see the images of my papaw's shriveled, skin covered skeleton decimated by 30+ years of coal mining and a chest full of coal dust laying in that casket. I'd much prefer to remember him as that kind, smiling man who came in after a hoot owl shift, worn out, but glad to see that I was joining him and mamaw for their daily breakfast feast, and I do remember that, as well as other things, but I still can't get that image of him in that coffin out of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT