ADVERTISEMENT

A Great Vince Marrow Piece by Rowland

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
This piece by Rowland discusses Marrow’s comments on a recent podcast.

Marrow gained my respect in 2018 at the first QB Club meeting.

He very casually pointed out how close, by score, Kentucky had come to a 10 win season in 2017, including their one point loss to Northwestern in the MCB.

He went on to say, “if Terry Wilson is who I think he is, we have a real good shot at ten wins this season”

I sat smiling and soaking in the words from one of the best salesmen I’ve ever met. I really didn’t believe we were headed to ten wins. On that evening in September of 2018, it had been 41 years since Kentucky had won ten games in a season. I was 14 years old in 1977, playing Junior High Football. I sat listening to Marrow as a fat 55 year old, with more than sufficient reasons to consider his words mere “Coach Speak.”

I thought of his pre-season talk as the seconds ticked away in the Citrus Bowl on January 1st, the next year. No one that I know of other than Vince Marrow had even approached the subject of Kentucky winning 10 games prior to the season. Coaches typically do not place numbers and specific goals into the public conscience lightly: it tends to be bad for their professional careers.

Ultimately, Marrow sold me on . . . Vince Marrow. He is never the “loudest in the room,” or the most outspoken in the world of college coaching. Instead, he has a steady, mature view of the game. I would rather listen to his take spoken at a whisper, than most others even if theirs is shouted from the rooftops.

Oddly, in the first Quarterback Club Meeting prior to the first game of 2021, he damn-near recreated the same speech from three years prior: “If Levis is who I think he is . . . .” Again, he essentially predicted the 10 win season that began the next day.

His voice is one to heard.

Reactions: vhcat70
I've always said that Mark Stoops statue we're going to build should have Vince with his arm around him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT