ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo article on pitchcounts and youth baseball, with a UK reference...

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-a-...hing-wrong-with-youth-baseball-212918744.html

Just read this. Some people just won't listen. I have a kid that's 10, loves baseball - wouldn't bother me if he never pitched (he does, but fortunately has coaches with some common sense). Anyway, included is this bit about UK:

"It's just as egregious when done at the college level. Kyle Cody, a senior at the University of Kentucky expected to go in the top 100 this year, threw 137 pitches in a recent game. The next day a GM texted me and said he took Cody off his draft board that morning."

Which is interesting.....

Played a double header in college...the opponents game 1 starter (complete game) had to come in and pitch game 2 as well. They were terrible, but that dude was a gamer.

Coached freshman HS and we basically capped an outing around 75 pitches. Usually in HS, you can have some innings of very low pitch count due to the lack of depth many teams have.

I think pitch counts and rest days are important. I also think that GM is silly.

I think there is a level that is way egregious, but thinking about my own situation, in reality I didn't play anywhere near as much baseball as many people. I played from 3 till I was 18 and even after that I played softball, but I didn't play high school and I wasn't playing year round like some of these guys. I also was an outfielder (or utility guy) and not a pitcher (at least not a good one, haha). Yet, I now most definitely have a torn rotator cuff and have had one for several years. I can't even throw a Frisbee with an inside out motion with having some pain. So, I think everyone kind of has a different level and you really cannot protect them all. Still, you have to be logical and make sure that you aren't ruining possible futures by leaning too heavily on one arm.

That same GM will look to Cuba, DR, Mex etc etc for guys and I would be willing to bet their pitch counts and rest wouldnt be near as well as Cody has gone through.

In 2010, Matt Harvey had 5 games of 120+ pitches, 3 of 130+ and his highest pitch outing was 157. This probably proves both sides of the argument. The dude no doubt blew his arm out in the MLB...but that same GM that wouldve passed on him wouldve been wrong as well. He has had a great career so far and looks to be back on track this season.

Some would say the real test and stress for these upper level players is the transition from college to pros. 7 days of rest vs 5 days...probably a big difference in itself. Guess that can be 300 pitches (pros) vs 200 pitches (college) every 15 days...

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Two thoughts:

1. Yeah, that seems like an overreaction, but considering the economics of baseball maybe they just take zero chances, especially with a kid who isn't a round 1 pick.
2. Why pitch him that much anyway? Whether it's a real risk or not, perception is reality. If some baseball people are going to react like this scout did, you're hurting your own rep as a coach (which means recruiting suffers) or the kids draft stock. Why do it?

^ Matt Harvey ended up getting a good label from all the pitches...big game pitcher, workhorse, inning eater etc.

For GMs that see it as a negative, I bet you could find one who sees it as a positive, depending on the game situation where the pitcher trots back out for an extra inning or 2.

Plus, if the coach is sending you out there, no way in hell are you going to mention your pitch count hurting your draft status...no way.

And some old school coaches don't buy it as much as others...guys they played with went all kinds of innings, guys in the 1900s pitched 400/500 innings a year. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT