ADVERTISEMENT

Wright State

Probably a good thing, though it has been a long time since we've been able to see Lafferty in a midweek game.

Wright state could end up being our 4 seed in the Lexington regional so would have been a chance to get a preview.

Oh well, on to Vandy.

Bush league to cancel a game for RPI purposes. Was surprised to see that

If we're being real, it would have had little to no effect on our RPI, win or lose. It was weather and travel related. We canceled one last week against a top 29 RPI team on the road. That might have been another Q1 win and would have been a big RPI boost for both teams. That was also weather related.

If we're being real, it would have had little to no effect on our RPI, win or lose. It was weather and travel related. We canceled one last week against a top 29 RPI team on the road. That might have been another Q1 win and would have been a big RPI boost for both teams. That was also weather related.
Perhaps but on a turf field, I’ve never heard of a game being cancelled due to forecasted weather. It looked like the front cleared out and the weather would have been great for baseball. Mang is an expert on RPI and wasn’t chancing an upset. That’s the likely reality.

Perhaps but on a turf field, I’ve never heard of a game being cancelled due to forecasted weather. It looked like the front cleared out and the weather would have been great for baseball. Mang is an expert on RPI and wasn’t chancing an upset. That’s the likely reality.

It literally happened just the week prior thanks to weather. Turf field and everything.

It literally happened just the week prior thanks to weather. Turf field and everything.
Do you think UK had some influence over that? I just wish all teams would play the games they scheduled. Back to back cancelled games due to forecasted weather is a bit suspect.

Do you think UK had some influence over that? I just wish all teams would play the games they scheduled. Back to back cancelled games due to forecasted weather is a bit suspect.
Why would we cancel a game that would help our RPI and give a potential Q1 win?

Reactions: Jeff12wb
Bush league to cancel a game for RPI purposes. Was surprised to see that
If the SEC hadn't let you dodge both AR & A&M, you might have a case about us being worried about our RPI. BTW, our SOS is #7, yours is #28. As is, it's sour grapes, er, sour oranges, on your part.

Last edited:
I believe cancellations are the purview of the AD, not the coach.

Why would we cancel a game that would help our RPI and give a potential Q1 win?
Just not taking a chance in a loss. There was only downside to playing the game. Look, KY has an incredible team. I’ve been praising them all year. Just don’t like the practice of cancelling games to preserve RPI. Several teams are doing it and I personally don’t like it. Let the kids play.

If the SEC hadn't let you dodge both AR & A&M, you might have a case about us being worried about our RPI. As is, it's sour grapes, er, sour oranges, on your part.
Ha. No sour grapes or oranges as TN doesn’t control scheduling. Plus, we simply play all our games rain or shine. Just like every team should.

Just not taking a chance in a loss. There was only downside to playing the game. Look, KY has an incredible team. I’ve been praising them all year. Just don’t like the practice of cancelling games to preserve RPI. Several teams are doing it and I personally don’t like it. Let the kids play.

We have zero concern about our RPI right now. We're all but guaranteed a top 8 spot regardless. Playing those two games or not isn't going to change that.

Reactions: TaylorVol71
Fact: The Xavier game was THEIR home game and thus their call. Visiting teams get input but no final decision. Also, Xavier does not have lights so any delay (and tornados were forecasted) would have meant the game would not have been completed. Also, Xavier's RPI was top 35. It would have had negligible impact, result notwithstanding.

Also Fact: The weather ended up being OK for Wright State but several rounds of storms did come through Lexington in the afternoon and the forecast was for storms through the night. When you're making decisions at 9 AM due to travel, etc. you utilize the information on hand, which pointed to no game. Sure, it helps UK's pitching but it wasn't cancelled for RPI. THat's patently inaccurate.

Fact #3 - Kentucky's non-conference RPI is top 30. Some of the fan bases complaining have a non-conf RPI in the 170s. Want to fix your RPI? Play a road game in non-conference instead of an endless stream of overmatched foes at home.

Fact #4 - Mingione doesn't believe in banging games to help RPI. Barnhart has made it very clear he does not support that.

Just stated what most knowledgeable fans and reporters are saying. Clown move to cancel due to RPI.
😂😂😂😂. What “reporters “? A Vols blogger ??
Obsessed over anything UK. Just admit it, you are here because UK’s projected RPI for the number 1 overall seed is killing you.

Yes with the last regular season matchups in college baseball on deck. Knowledgeable fans are up in arms about a UK / Wright State matchup implications. I think it led sportscenter .

We have zero concern about our RPI right now. We're all but guaranteed a top 8 spot regardless. Playing those two games or not isn't going to change that.
Indeed, y’all guaranteed a top 8 seeding about a week ago. Congrats on an incredible season! Mang has pressed all the right buttons and KY is rolling. I hope to see y’all in Omaha.

Fact: The Xavier game was THEIR home game and thus their call. Visiting teams get input but no final decision. Also, Xavier does not have lights so any delay (and tornados were forecasted) would have meant the game would not have been completed. Also, Xavier's RPI was top 35. It would have had negligible impact, result notwithstanding.

Also Fact: The weather ended up being OK for Wright State but several rounds of storms did come through Lexington in the afternoon and the forecast was for storms through the night. When you're making decisions at 9 AM due to travel, etc. you utilize the information on hand, which pointed to no game. Sure, it helps UK's pitching but it wasn't cancelled for RPI. THat's patently inaccurate.

Fact #3 - Kentucky's non-conference RPI is top 30. Some of the fan bases complaining have a non-conf RPI in the 170s. Want to fix your RPI? Play a road game in non-conference instead of an endless stream of overmatched foes at home.

Fact #4 - Mingione doesn't believe in banging games to help RPI. Barnhart has made it very clear he does not support that.
All great points. I appreciate your thoughtful and factual response! OK, it seems that I was wrong. I’m glad to hear that the cancellations weren’t related to preserving RPI. Y’all had an incredible season. This is likely the year for Omaha for BBN. It’s an incredible experience and I highly recommend going.

All great points. I appreciate your thoughtful and factual response! OK, it seems that I was wrong. I’m glad to hear that the cancellations weren’t related to preserving RPI. Y’all had an incredible season. This is likely the year for Omaha for BBN. It’s an incredible experience and I highly recommend going.
I thought you were going to die on that hill, but credit to any message board poster willing to admit that he was wrong. Kudos.

I think UT is the best team in the country, though I hope that they get upset before we have to see them again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT