ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt

If he came from 2021 on, no free year, except redhirt.
Maybe that’s the plan. Place him in redshirt. If he progresses as they want maybe he challenges next year or he can be an emergency backup.

With the 4 game rule, he could be used a limited amount and still potentially have next year. Win/win for both sides!

You realize ever offense has different types of passes. Some are safe dink passes and some throw the ball down the field longer. Some throw the ball off rpo. I guess you don’t have many options on Madden football!!
Wimsat was the least accurate quarterback in division one football. And that was with the advantage of working alongside the Big Ten’s leading rusher. I love the kid as a human, and he’s got a great set of wheels, but there were no passes - short, medium, long, sideline, middle of the field, slant, dinks, outs – that he was adequate at.

His rushing yards came on designed read option runs. He was a below average scrambler and frustrated us by passing up wide-open opportunities to get easy yards. Even in the read option, most fans felt that he wasn’t making the decision, actually doing the read, that it was the coaches calling the play in advance. He’s not a fluid decision maker.

On the positive side, he doesn’t make dumb plays, takes care of the ball, throws it away instead of throwing a pic or getting sacked. But you’re gonna throw pics anyway when you’re as inaccurate as he is. And if he’s under pressure, don’t expect anything other than for him to throw the ball away.

The coaches brought in someone to compete with him in the off-season because he wasn’t cutting the mustard. I wish the kid nothing but the best.

Last edited:
I heard you guys paid good money to get him!!
100k. It's the only reason he started last year besides his ability to rush. He was neck and neck with a kid named Simon who transferred to temple and was terrible there.

This year the competition wasn't very close with the transfer. Took one spring for schiano to name a starter. The transfer was originally recruited to Minnesota by our OC.

I would've loved to have him as a backup because the rushing is something many backups do not have. More power to him if he cashed in as a backup somewhere. But I would've had a hard time watching him attempt to throw any other passes. There were a couple winnable games last year where the offense was so limited to ever come back. He almost never sets his feet.

He was no longer the starting QB at Rutgers. The transfer QB had already been named starting QB coming out of spring practice.
I get that. It’s more about going to a program where he has no shot at starting instead of going to a G5 school.

I get that. It’s more about going to a program where he has no shot at starting instead of going to a G5 school.

Honestly, he might have been sliding to 3rd or 4th on our depth chart with a strong RS Frosh and a highly touted true Frosh coming in.

He’s a great kid and was a great ambassador for our program. If he can figure out his accuracy, he could be special - hope he does it down there at his home state school. Best of luck!

Maybe they see a change of pace sub for Vandagriff in him. Like the UCLA QB we brought in for a visit. A guy to plug in with a scheme package of all QB run/read option plays.

And maybe they are recruiting portal qbs because Boley is way far away from being a CFB QB. Risky to go into battle with only 2 arms. Wimsett would be an emergency 3rd for 2024 only. In Jan 2025, we will have Vandagriff with 1 season starting experience, Boley with 1 yr development, and Stone fresh on campus to compete for 2nd.
Allen?

As a Rutgers fan.. I wish him luck. He has all the tools to play at the next level, nevermind the SEC. There is just *something* missing that has been preventing him from putting it all together. I think it's footwork as for accuracy... maybe mental/vision... knowing what he will do as he sees the D set up. I'm not certain he actually does the "read" part of the RPO... but his wheels (once moving) and arm strength are ridiculous.

If Kentucky coaches can flip that switch he'll be a winner. Rutgers coaches have tried and failed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT