ADVERTISEMENT

Will Riley...possible reclassify?

Noah Robinson and Riley call it a day!!!!
Lanier is option one to me given the team Kentucky already has, you can just tell Lanier to go get buckets and lets the others do everything else. Robinson is 1A, the more I see on him, it’s looking like the draft is becoming a stronger possibility. I don’t know anything about Riley yet, and Noah would be a solid add if he is realistic about what yet one will look like here

Lanier is option one to me given the team Kentucky already has, you can just tell Lanier to go get buckets and lets the others do everything else. Robinson is 1A, the more I see on him, it’s looking like the draft is becoming a stronger possibility. I don’t know anything about Riley yet, and Noah would be a solid add if he is realistic about what yet one will look like here
Lanier or Robinson is fine the Riley kid is from Canada and a top high school recruit SF- SG.

The kids who reclassify never interest me that much. I don't want them here any younger than they have to be.
Riley's normal age of a HS Senior-remember he's Canadian so they do "13th" grade up there-which is why he came down to States to play HS ball (was in PA). So if he reclassified, he'd be a normal HS Sr in terms of his age/development. Also hard to pass on his skill set at 6'9 as a wing/guard caliber player.

One of Lanier/Robinson, Riley and Noah would be great way to fill roster. if you can get both Lanier and Robinson and Noah-then fine.

Arizona has had a massive head start with Riley's recruitment too. So I'd consider them the favorite at this time.

Yeah exciting kid. We’ve been hoping to land him for weeks. At this point we’d be better off getting Lanier or Robinson and having Riley come and not reclassify. If he wants to come and start asap and Lanier/Robinson also wants to come I’m not really sure what you do in that case.

I'd take another J Murray. He was a re-class.
Another Canadian. As said above, they have 13th grade up there. Also the reclass depends, like the PF we did have coming in a month ago is 16, won't be 17 until this summer, so very young. But some reclassifications the kids were held back once or twice (unfortunately common for parents of athletes to do, to give their kid an advantage), and may still be 18.5 or older when fall classes start even after reclassifying. It's the ones < 18 that might give you pause.

Riley's normal age of a HS Senior-remember he's Canadian so they do "13th" grade up there-which is why he came down to States to play HS ball (was in PA). So if he reclassified, he'd be a normal HS Sr in terms of his age/development. Also hard to pass on his skill set at 6'9 as a wing/guard caliber player.

One of Lanier/Robinson, Riley and Noah would be great way to fill roster. if you can get both Lanier and Robinson and Noah-then fine.

Arizona has had a massive head start with Riley's recruitment too. So I'd consider them the favorite at this time.
He’d be a great catch for anybody. He can be as good as he wants to be.

With all of the NIL money being thrown around, the G League has lost some of its luster, no?

I hope we can land Riley.

Popes offense does not tell one player to go get buckets. So how will that work and be a cohesive unit? Just not understanding how you bring in a guy, that will want his 20 shots a game and think you are going to make 10 or 11 other guys playing within a system and not have conflict. Would not be good. If Lanier is going to come in, play within the system then fine. If not then good luck young man and on to the next.

Popes offense does not tell one player to go get buckets. So how will that work and be a cohesive unit? Just not understanding how you bring in a guy, that will want his 20 shots a game and think you are going to make 10 or 11 other guys playing within a system and not have conflict. Would not be good. If Lanier is going to come in, play within the system then fine. If not then good luck young man and on to the next.
I think in Pope's system Lanier would be just as effective by not taking as many shots.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
If a good player wants to come here you figure it out. Lanier is good enough to come here and get his 12-15 shots a night. If they get Lanier and Robinson. Lanier, Robison, brea, and Carr should be your main 4 offensive guys. Oweh, Williams, Krisa & butler as supporting pieces

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue

Posts like Tarzan, looks like Jane.

If a good player wants to come here you figure it out. Lanier is good enough to come here and get his 12-15 shots a night. If they get Lanier and Robinson. Lanier, Robison, brea, and Carr should be your main 4 offensive guys. Oweh, Williams, Krisa & butler as supporting pieces
I see what you are saying but I think Kriisa and Butler (with what they have done in the past) will not go for that. I would say you will not win much due to conflicts on the team. How do you tell a guy that hit the shot to send his team to the national championship that you are going to take a back seat and just pass the ball to player x or y because I promised them their 15 shots a night. Not enough shots to go around. In a system like Pope runs you are rewarded by your movement and heady play. I see where Williams, Garrison are not going to be option 1 but Pope does play through a big (passing and such). I know basketball but probably am stuck in the 70's when it comes to team play. Modern day ball to me is just not the same gig. It is Cal thinking to me. Get me 4 or 5 high ranked guys (no matter what it takes) and let me see if I can make it work. Only worked out in one year (to the championship). Even the 38-1 team failed. Almost failed in the round before.
I wish the NBA would take kids out of High School again. That way you get the best of the rest (only 4 to 6 guys each year going straight to the league) and you pick the guys that will work in your system.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
I hope they end up with Robinson and Lanier. Idk if it will happen, but I think there’s room and that makes UK real contenders. Add Riley and Noah at the 12th and 13th scholarship. That’s at least two deep at every position, with a couple potential go to guys, and pieces to build for the future.

I see what you are saying but I think Kriisa and Butler (with what they have done in the past) will not go for that. I would say you will not win much due to conflicts on the team. How do you tell a guy that hit the shot to send his team to the national championship that you are going to take a back seat and just pass the ball to player x or y because I promised them their 15 shots a night. Not enough shots to go around. In a system like Pope runs you are rewarded by your movement and heady play. I see where Williams, Garrison are not going to be option 1 but Pope does play through a big (passing and such). I know basketball but probably am stuck in the 70's when it comes to team play. Modern day ball to me is just not the same gig. It is Cal thinking to me. Get me 4 or 5 high ranked guys (no matter what it takes) and let me see if I can make it work. Only worked out in one year (to the championship). Even the 38-1 team failed. Almost failed in the round before.
I wish the NBA would take kids out of High School again. That way you get the best of the rest (only 4 to 6 guys each year going straight to the league) and you pick the guys that will work in your system.
I was with what you are saying all last week, we have guys now who are expecting things, then I watched some videos and started looking at how college offenses are playing now. My end though was Lanier and Robinson are guys Kentucky should go all out to get now. Butler needs to be in the facilitator role, and Krisa is a energy guy off the bench

I hope they end up with Robinson and Lanier. Idk if it will happen, but I think there’s room and that makes UK real contenders. Add Riley and Noah at the 12th and 13th scholarship. That’s at least two deep at every position, with a couple potential go to guys, and pieces to build for the future.
Noah, Riley or Peterson reclass would be nice additions. Then add 2 of Robinson/Lanier/Keugel maybe?

Nobody is getting 20 shots a game here but we still need a guy who can get buckets. System or not there will be situations someone needs to break a man down.

Nobody is getting 20 shots a game here but we still need a guy who can get buckets. System or not there will be situations someone needs to break a man down.
take away the time and this is what I am talking about.

The kids who reclassify never interest me that much. I don't want them here any younger than they have to be.
If you take a reclassified kid, you want a guy like Peterson or Dybantsa because they'll actually make a difference. I'm not sure how much of a difference Riley would make in year one.

Why would you take a 2025 reclass when you have a roster of older players? Playing freshmen is bad enough, taking an early enrollee would be worse. Have we learned nothing over the last few years ?

Why would you take a 2025 reclass when you have a roster of older players? Playing freshmen is bad enough, taking an early enrollee would be worse. Have we learned nothing over the last few years ?
If you know he will be here 2 seasons why not get a stud HS player who can help this year and really help the year after

If you know he will be here 2 seasons why not get a stud HS player who can help this year and really help the year after
Exactly this! Get Riley and he reclassifies to this year and he’s more than likely staying 2 years
Now we have a solid foundation for the following season

Noah, Riley or Peterson reclass would be nice additions. Then add 2 of Robinson/Lanier/Keugel maybe?
I agree. I’d feel better if we had two of those Robinson/Lanier/Kugel/Poplar level guys. I like Riley as a reclass because I think we have a need for another stretch 4 guy to back up Carr, which Popes probably gonna get somewhere. He wouldn’t have to be great from day one. But Peterson is a definite take.

Reactions: Fox2monk
To me this is the exact kind of roster to add a stud reclass. He can learn from the older guys and he doesn’t have the pressure of being the man from day one. The problem we used to have is we tried doing it with ALL young guys. They had to be great from day one and there just isnt many freshmen that will apply to. If he comes in and is great and leaves after one year he’s done his job for you and other stud recruits know this staff has that capability. If not, then you have a great building block for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT