ADVERTISEMENT

Will Louisville buy JQ-Speculation

Bhad Rhabies

Freshman
Mar 12, 2022
It’s clear with how abruptly Arkansas and Kentucky exited his recruitment that Louisville made an offer, he took the offer to Cal, Cal told him to enjoy being a Cardinal, and then JQ’s dad contacted Pope and told him don’t bother on the visit if you aren’t matching this number.

Thankful that Pope didn’t entertain it either. No freshman short of Anthony Davis is worth 1.5-2 million, that money would be better spent on 3-4 proven veterans.

We will see if Louisville can buy basketball success or if their checks are going to bounce like their football program’s checks did.

So, making another thread of definitive nature, when it's just your flexing "because we're UK"? Relax.

I don’t see much point in continuing to headline threads like this by telling us a player was bought.

Yeah, we already know that. That’s just how the game is now played. Every big time recruit is now bought to at least some extent.

So good for UL. If we can’t have him, I’m glad they kept him out of Cal’s hands.

I don’t see much point in continuing to headline threads like this by telling us a player was bought.

Yeah, we already know that. That’s just how the game is now played. Every big time recruit is now bought to at least some extent.

So good for UL. If we can’t have him, I’m glad they kept him out of Cal’s hands.
I know. It's weird. It's like we've got fans still in the mindset that it's cheating or something. No, all of these players are hired mercenaries and all of the big time recruits for the last forever have been hired mercenaries as well. Everyone just sees it out in the open now instead of having to do all of the backdoor stuff like through family, handlers, shoe companies, and what not.

Because like I said yesterday, Cal isn’t going to throw crazy money around like people think, he’s not going to give agents and players control over his program. He’s a control freak he’s just not going to do it. He didn’t leave Kentucky because he was losing control to go to Arkansas and lose it in the first month. Pope has the brand they want and a top NIL, he’s not going to do it.

People have to remember with Calipari he’s a terrible coach but a top 5 recruiter all time. He’s not going to get all of the players he could at UK he doesn’t have the brand, but he’s still going to land good players. It’s not doubling money, he’s an ace recruiter. We already know this and we already know how it plays out.

Agents are trying to set a market for these players and the coaches are trying to temper it. Looks like adidas is throwing money around to begin this process and get some of their schools recognized too.

Again this kind of thing has to balance out we’re in a new day. But buying players and overpaying for teams is not good for negotiations moving forward and what ends up happening is that type of money becomes expected. When the team overpaying doesn’t follow through by overpaying - They stop getting players. Not to mention buying pieces to teams is not the way to BUILD a solid team. Just look around at the pro franchises that do it, rarely works out.

Kentucky is going to handle this the way it’s meant to be handled, the way a professional style organization handles things. I’m not worried in the least, we’re a top NIL destination with the top brand and we aren’t gonna be shaken down and fleeced. Let it play out - we have a new coach and that’s coinciding with a whole new way to recruit. It’s just gonna take some time to sort out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
The title reads like it is a done deal
Yeah, I presumed it was based on how the original thread title and first post were worded. But now I see he’s since edited his words.

Is it really that hard to title threads accurately? Don’t state things as fact if you’re just speculating.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
I don’t see Louisville dropping that much on any player. Louisville is in the same boat as UK as in we have 13 scholarships to fill to have a team. I have seen comments on X from his dad saying it’s not all about NIL. Now if we only needed one or two players that might be different but not when trying to field a entire new team.

It’s clear with how abruptly Arkansas and Kentucky exited his recruitment that Louisville made an offer, he took the offer to Cal, Cal told him to enjoy being a Cardinal, and then JQ’s dad contacted Pope and told him don’t bother on the visit if you aren’t matching this number.

Thankful that Pope didn’t entertain it either. No freshman short of Anthony Davis is worth 1.5-2 million, that money would be better spent on 3-4 proven veterans.

We will see if Louisville can buy basketball success or if their checks are going to bounce like their football program’s checks did.
No CBB player is worth that much money I don't care who they are.

If you start overpaying for kids then you've priced yourself (and everyone else) out of the market. A rising tide will raise all ships.

Louisville doesn’t have a strong NIL. They’re over paying because they feel they have to and I’m sure adidas money is helping in some way. It won’t last and top NIL programs like UK cannot be outbid, but they’re not going to set the kind of precedent Louisville is setting themselves up for. The issue is it might take a year or two for the real NIL rich programs who can’t be fleeced to rise to the top. The agents are creating mayhem and there’s no way a program like UK is going to get involved with some of these guys. What UK will do is honor their NIL commitments correctly which will eventually show to all of the recruits.

Let’s not forget, Louisville didn’t come through on some of their NIL payments for football. That been widely speculated. Louisville doesn’t have the brand or the NIL of UK and they’re desperate to land guys. All of this will sort out but it’s not going to stop people from freaking out in the immediate.

Let them have him, and lets see how much harmony goes with a team that has a 2 mil player sitting next to others who arent getting near that. Hard feelings will happen with out a doubt. He may be there this year but next year its the old song ON THE ROAD AGAIN.
That’s the main issue, a 17 year old that hasn’t done anything making more than 2/3rds of the roster combined. That will eventually bite a team hard. Especially if that player doesn’t produce or work hard.

Louisville doesn’t have a strong NIL. They’re over paying because they feel they have to and I’m sure adidas money is helping in some way. It won’t last and top NIL programs like UK cannot be outbid, but they’re not going to set the kind of precedent Louisville is setting themselves up for. The issue is it might take a year or two for the real NIL rich programs who can’t be fleeced to rise to the top. The agents are creating mayhem and there’s no way a program like UK is going to get involved with some of these guys. What UK will do is honor their NIL commitments correctly which will eventually show to all of the recruits.

Let’s not forget, Louisville didn’t come through on some of their NIL payments for football. That been widely speculated. Louisville doesn’t have the brand or the NIL of UK and they’re desperate to land guys. All of this will sort out but it’s not going to stop people from freaking out in the immediate.
Agents* lol, I’d bet the majoirty of these dudes are friends or hustlers. Only the top guys will get someone who’s an actual agent that knows how to do a contract. The rest just ask for outrageous stuff or have a players ear. Look at the advice Ugo has gotten.

My question is a kid who will only be 17 when the season started worth all this money, especially a big in the SEC. We saw what happened to our two 7'fters this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT