ADVERTISEMENT

Will any result in the Canada games change your mind about Cal and his ability to win again?

The 2019 team lost to duke by 34 points and really didn't have any great wins during the season. I believe ut and au owned them that year and their best tournament win was Houston.

2020 wad the Evansville team. They had some nice pieces, but Maxey should have been the pg from day 1, instead, he stuck with Hagans, who pulled his attitude stunt at the wrong time. Again, besides the Texas Tech and Michigan state wins, there isn't much to brag about.

Good to see you Zac.
Right?! The 2020 team was not a top 5 all year.

Reactions: dl51344 and kyjeff1
I remember the Bahamas and all the hype that came with it. We saw the results and injuries did play a part, but will this roster change your mind?
To me, its winning and that's it. I can walk away from all the other blather, like bennies think they know basketball.

I'm not against going mainly freshmen, because Cal isn't very good at getting the best out of transfers, OT excluded.

Will Canada expose this roster's weaknesses?

Cal's not even coaching, and you can't take anything away from these teams. Some of the summer teams we've played have been horrendous, so no.

Reactions: warrior-cat
The one and only thing — Welch influencing a 4 out/1 in offense that shoots 3’s and looks like modern basketball. If there was ever a time to do it…it’s with this group that has one true big. I don’t even care if they make shots. Just play like 90% of the rest of the basketball world and have good ball movement.

I think people need to understand that the teams they are playing are professional and they are good teams. Much older teams and I think if they can win every game then it’s a good sign, it’s about chemistry though and building that. Playing older teams in the summer should help them when the actual season start.

2019 elite 8 was a disaster and embarrassment.

You don't lose that game with auburn player out. Just don't.
Yep just like last year and this year. The bracket was wide open for a final 4. Now the refs screwed us in 2019 but again we needed one regulation stop late and couldn’t get it.

xaihoR1.jpg

the-who-pete-townshend.gif

You know Cal’s philosophy on coaching.

Cal says “My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever.”

• Haha
Reactions: BlueWhite21
No, See Calipari life cycle for same results each year.

Besides that
Yes, they will probably look good; but this is before Cal breaks a couple of their spirits, a few more will get tired and just bide time until the draft and the ones that try he will run into the ground so they will be injured when we need them the most. Let's just hope he leaves after failing to achieve anything of value with another group of talented individuals.

I am usually optimistic at the beginning of the year but just can't give myself the false hope anymore with Cal and his complete inability to Coach, grow or change.

Last edited:
I think people need to understand that the teams they are playing are professional and they are good teams. Much older teams and I think if they can win every game then it’s a good sign, it’s about chemistry though and building that. Playing older teams in the summer should help them when the actual season start.
Are the rosters out? I thought we didn't know who we were actually playing.

I remember the Bahamas and all the hype that came with it. We saw the results and injuries did play a part, but will this roster change your mind?
To me, its winning and that's it. I can walk away from all the other blather, like bennies think they know basketball.

I'm not against going mainly freshmen, because Cal isn't very good at getting the best out of transfers, OT excluded.

No. A series of exhibition games wont change mind about Cal. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2020 pretty well cemented that opinion!

The 2019 team lost to duke by 34 points and really didn't have any great wins during the season. I believe ut and au owned them that year and their best tournament win was Houston.

2020 wad the Evansville team. They had some nice pieces, but Maxey should have been the pg from day 1, instead, he stuck with Hagans, who pulled his attitude stunt at the wrong time. Again, besides the Texas Tech and Michigan state wins, there isn't much to brag about.

Good to see you Zac.

2019 swept auburn n regular season and slaughtered them once in Rupp. Then the disaster in elite 8 happened.

You know Cal’s philosophy on coaching.

Cal says “My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever.”
😂 Sounds just like Cal with Tom Leach on the post game show..

If we go beating all these Canadian teams by 50 and 60 points and the eye test tells me the Canadian teams are trying then yeah of course it will move the needle for me. Having faith that Cal is “back” or could really win it all again are much bigger questions. But authentic 50+ Canuk beatdowns aren’t gonna hurt in those categories either.

Even if that happens I’ll wonder as @kyjeff1 mentioned whether it was just Cal letting kids/Welch do things in Toronto he won’t let them try during the season.

And even if he really comes “back”/looks like he can win it all he still has a pretty decent amount of wokeness and douchebaggery to work off in my opinion.

But it would sure be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I’m far too old to be Brad. But thanks for the compliment.

Be miserable or be happy. It’s a choice.

Now it’s about the Champions Classic?

Whatever it takes to justify miserable.

I’ve been to every Champions Classic. Have you?
It’s easy to get tickets for the games when your dad is the coach, Brad. The rest of us have to pay for our tickets.

Until the coach cares about winning games over getting players drafted then its all kabuki theatre, and Cal loves him some Kabuki theatre.

These games will tell us nothing IMO. Mainly because the player relationships and coaching style will change between now and the start of the season.

Cal never lost the ability to win
what he lost was getting elite talent like we have this year

i think the problem started when he shunned Phil Knight
after that it seemed like Duke started getting the elite talent every year

Cal never lost the ability to win
what he lost was getting elite talent like we have this year

i think the problem started when he shunned Phil Knight
after that it seemed like Duke started getting the elite talent every year
Why does he need elite talent?

Kansas, Nova, UConn, Baylor and UVA have no problem winning titles with B and C level talent, why is Cal going 9-16 and losing to Saint Peters with A+ talent? Come on, let me hear your excuses.

Did Florida International, San Diego, Saint Peters 2022 and Kansas State have more talent than Cal had last year? Not even close.

Heck, give me elite talent and I'll do better than Cal has and I'll only charge Mitch 2 million a year and get this, I'll even do all my required press conferences.

I think it’s hilarious how Cal and his fans continue to blame the players THAT HE RECRUITED instead of the guy that is getting 9 million a year to make sure UK stays on top.

Give me a coach that doesn't HAVE to have the perfect type of elite NBA talent to win. The picture was gery clear a long time ago, the guy is a fraud that can’t do crap without supreme talent.

Why does he need elite talent?

Kansas, Nova, UConn, Baylor and UVA have no problem winning titles with B and C level talent, why is Cal going 9-16 and losing to Saint Peters with A+ talent? Come on, let me hear your excuses.

Did Florida International, San Diego, Saint Peters 2022 and Kansas State have more talent than Cal had last year? Not even close.

Heck, give me elite talent and I'll do better than Cal has and I'll only charge Mitch 2 million a year and get this, I'll even do all my required press conferences.

I think it’s hilarious how Cal and his fans continue to blame the players THAT HE RECRUITED instead of the guy that is getting 9 million a year to make sure UK stays on top.

Give me a coach that doesn't HAVE to have the perfect type of elite NBA talent to win. The picture was gery clear a long time ago, the guy is a fraud that can’t do crap without supreme talent.
the exact same reason Pitino needed it
neither are great in-game coaches

on the plus side in-game coaching is only part of the equation

Hold every team we play to under 20 a half and put up 50-60 a half while looking efficient and organized. That will make me over the top optimistic.

The difference is, Pitino developed the talent he won with.
no the difference is Pitino was coaching at a time elite talent stayed 4 years (you know this)
even at that it took him 4 years with his best recruiting class loaded with NBA talent to win a championship

Reactions: Doodah859
no the difference is Pitino was coaching at a time elite talent stayed 4 years (you know this)
even at that it took him 4 years with his best recruiting class loaded with NBA talent to win a championship
Name all the schools that are losing their players after 1 or 2 years. Are you saying one-and-done is a problem across college basketball???

Look at the teams getting to final 4's and winning titles. You don't see one-and-done players, you see juniors and seniors.

John Calipari chooses to have a new roster every year, John Calipari is the one that encourages these kids to leave and John Calipari chooses to recruit over his players every year.

Again, name another program that flips their roster every year. You can only name Duke, nobody else is choosing to have a new roster every year and even duke returns more players than UK does.

Cal isn’t in it for UK, if he was, he wouldn't flip the roster every year.

Reactions: KMKAT
Name all the schools that are losing their players after 1 or 2 years. Are you saying one-and-done is a problem across college basketball???

Look at the teams getting to final 4's and winning titles. You don't see one-and-done players, you see juniors and seniors.

John Calipari chooses to have a new roster every year, John Calipari is the one that encourages these kids to leave and John Calipari chooses to recruit over his players every year.

Again, name another program that flips their roster every year. You can only name Duke, nobody else is choosing to have a new roster every year and even duke returns more players than UK does.

Cal isn’t in it for UK, if he was, he wouldn't flip the roster every year.
man you are not this dense
two schools mainly get the multiple elite talents every year that are OAD Duke and UK (as you mentioned)
so to try to compare 300 schools vs 2 is ridiculous

i am guessing you hated the OAD from the beginning and hated all the FF's and the championship those elite OAD players brought us
hell maybe you loved losing a player to a prep school
maybe you loved the multi year guys BCG was bringing in

Duke has been getting what UK was getting
this year the tables turned back

you go ahead and live in your hate filled dream world
i will enjoy this season and next

man you are not this dense
two schools mainly get the multiple elite talents every year that are OAD Duke and UK (as you mentioned)
so to try to compare 300 schools vs 2 is ridiculous

i am guessing you hated the OAD from the beginning and hated all the FF's and the championship those elite OAD players brought us
hell maybe you loved losing a player to a prep school
maybe you loved the multi year guys BCG was bringing in

Duke has been getting what UK was getting
this year the tables turned back

you go ahead and live in your hate filled dream world
i will enjoy this season and next
No, no, no, you are changing the subject. It’s not about 2 vs 300, or about me hating the OAD, it's about the statement you made. you said Pitino coached UK at a time where one and done wasn't an issue, like Cal is somehow at a disadvantage. Like Cal is being forced to field a new team every year.

Then you just turned around and admitted there aee only 2 schools out of 350+ that deal with this problem. So Pitino had no advantage, Calipari is choosing to churn the roster every year, he is definiteltly not at a disadvantage.

And yes, I have always hated the one-and-done, it makes no sense if winning titles is the goal. The only thing that one-and-done is good for, is getting kids to the next level, this is not what you do if you want to win games at THIS level.

Yup, back in the 90's, it was rare for kids to leave early, but doesn’t that mean it was harder to win? Doesn't it mean more teams are putting 3 and 4 year players on the court?

Also, there was no AAU that kicked out ready made talent at the level Cal is getting, or has been getting.

Face it, Cal has had every advantage possible, he just isn't a good enough coach to use it properly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT