ADVERTISEMENT

Will any result in the Canada games change your mind about Cal and his ability to win again?

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
I remember the Bahamas and all the hype that came with it. We saw the results and injuries did play a part, but will this roster change your mind?
To me, its winning and that's it. I can walk away from all the other blather, like bennies think they know basketball.

I'm not against going mainly freshmen, because Cal isn't very good at getting the best out of transfers, OT excluded.

Will Canada expose this roster's weaknesses?

Cal may be be observing as he has in the past with someone else doing the coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I certainly bought into the hype after the Bahamas last year. That solidified in my mind we were going to be a special team with how we ran those teams out of the gym. Never been more wrong about a singular basketball team than last year.

I do like the fact it seems these games in Canada are much better competition. But I simply look forward to watching UK basketball this early in the year, and being able to get more familiar with the new players style of play and how it might mesh together when the season comes around. That's all I plan on taking from it this year. Lesson learned.

Cal didn’t coach in the Bahamas last year, the assistants did. Our guys played free and seemed to play together.

Then the season started and Cal took over. It was all about me-ball, pouting, forced lineups, an archaic offense and Wheeler pouting.

Cal talked about doing the coaching in Canada since they are representing USA, but after watching what we saw in the Bahamas last year, maybe he should let Orlando coach.

Of course you want to represent your fan base and win, but the most important thing here is team building and chemistry. Almost every piece to this team is new. This is a perfect opportunity for them to learn about things about each other. Like where a player likes a pass to be so he can receive it and get in to his shot quickly. They can work on defensive rotations and stuff like that. Etc;

Our history in the Champions Classic has us under .500 correct? 5-7 gives me zero enjoyment. We've done very poorly and its always about being too early. We were 4-2 after 2016. Since? 1-5
Are there any stats out there that disprove Cal's decline since the 2017 season?
Seems every stat I see posted proves Cal's success fell off the edge of a table after 2017.

Are there any stats out there that disprove Cal's decline since the 2017 season?
Seems every stat I see posted proves Cal's success fell off the edge of a table after 2017.
I would venture to say the 2019 Elite Eight wasn't a huge setback (same outcome as 17). 2020 also had a chance at an Elite Eight or better as well. 2022 we were a top 5 team throughout the year (yes, I know how it ended, ugh).

I know we don't play for Elite Eights round here. It's just Cal set the bar so high in those first 5-6 years, almost anything is a decline from that run. But yes, we need to get the mojo back and a deep, deep run in March is paramount.

Now that I think about it.. I moved back to Lex in 2018. I think we've found the problem! Haha!

Reactions: kyjeff1
It will be a chance to see how the team plays together now, which can be used as a sort of benchmark for further chemistry development.

I mean, we may witness an improved system because of Welch, but Cal isn't changing his approach aside from possibly allowing Welch to draw up some plays. Here's to hope!

Pretty much this...

Not for me. I bought into the hype last year with the Bahama trip. But I am glad to be watching some games just to get a glimpse of the new lineup. Well, hopefully watching if I can get them.

And this...
Me now:

"Nope, learned my lesson last year"

Me deep down if we win all the games by 20:

"40.............and..................0!" 😄

xaihoR1.jpg

the-who-pete-townshend.gif

I’ll be in Canada. Mainly because I’m a die hard UK fan.

But also to hurl insults at Cal from 3 rows behind the bench. Just kidding………sort of.

No….Canada results won’t change anything.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I remember the Bahamas and all the hype that came with it. We saw the results and injuries did play a part, but will this roster change your mind?
To me, its winning and that's it. I can walk away from all the other blather, like bennies think they know basketball.

I'm not against going mainly freshmen, because Cal isn't very good at getting the best out of transfers, OT excluded.

Nope because it’s not real games, Cal probably won’t even coach that much.

Reactions: warrior-cat
We should be 6-7. Not much better but damn that loss last year was bad.
We were the sacrificial lambs for Zion dozing. Duke had what was supposed to be the next Lebron and with K's halo? We had NO prayer of winning that game. All I remember is Zion was allowed to do pretty much whatever.
The true beauty of that was K should've cakewalked to that title. He should've lost in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I would venture to say the 2019 Elite Eight wasn't a huge setback (same outcome as 17). 2020 also had a chance at an Elite Eight or better as well. 2022 we were a top 5 team throughout the year (yes, I know how it ended, ugh).

I know we don't play for Elite Eights round here. It's just Cal set the bar so high in those first 5-6 years, almost anything is a decline from that run. But yes, we need to get the mojo back and a deep, deep run in March is paramount.

Now that I think about it.. I moved back to Lex in 2018. I think we've found the problem! Haha!

2019 elite 8 was a disaster and embarrassment.

You don't lose that game with auburn player out. Just don't.

If the games meant something, SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament, and he won them then yes it changes my mind about him. The Canada games don't mean anything.

It will be a chance to see how the team plays together now, which can be used as a sort of benchmark for further chemistry development.

I mean, we may witness an improved system because of Welch, but Cal isn't changing his approach aside from possibly allowing Welch to draw up some plays. Here's to hope!
You can't really put too much stock good or bad from this trip. Not really fair to watch for team chemistry, they all just got together. I don't think a couple weeks of practice is going to give us anything definite, at least not schematic wise. I just want to watch it for what it is. See my Cats earlier than normal years. I just want to see them go out play loose, get up and down the floor, score some points, and SMILE. I do not even care if the play defense during this trip, just go out get to know one another on the court, and dunk on some fools. If you look for any more than that, you will probably be disappointed. Well some will be no matter what happens. Actually pretty excited to see the young guns and new additions in action. Wish Bradshaw could play, but it will actually help Onyenso get extra clock.

Heard Cal Say this, The Bahamas opposition teams were built for 30 point beatdowns. Bellarmine would have won those games by 15-20. That's not the same with the Canadian tourney coming up. Baylor went 1-4 against this group last year. If we walk out of this tourney 4-1 We got us a winner. 3-2 a good team. 2-3 or less? Well at least something to work with.

Reactions: Old Jim
They will look awesome because the screaming over controlling Coach will most likely not set on the bench

• Haha
Reactions: Old Jim

will Canada show this rosters strength?

Cal would have to go talk less and let court performance speak more

A lot of people are back on the Cal train (again) because of practice clips

It’s fine to be an optimist, but Cal has not changed and will not change

He is honest to his players, but not to the fans. I’m not sure why that’s the case, but that’s the way it is.

The 2019 team lost to duke by 34 points and really didn't have any great wins during the season. I believe ut and au owned them that year and their best tournament win was Houston.

2020 wad the Evansville team. They had some nice pieces, but Maxey should have been the pg from day 1, instead, he stuck with Hagans, who pulled his attitude stunt at the wrong time. Again, besides the Texas Tech and Michigan state wins, there isn't much to brag about.

Good to see you Zac.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT