ADVERTISEMENT

Wildcats vs Hilltoppers (Wed. )

Apr 9, 2016
Cats looking for another W, following yesterdays' shutout of EKU. Z Thompson, freshman lefty from Indiana, goes to the bump today versus the 3-5 Toppers.

Thompson hit a batter and walked two, but he gets Currie to fly out to left to end the frame. Carson, White, Reks due up for UK in B1.

Good start for UK 2-0 and still threatening with Heyer up and 2 outs.

Mahan singled in two runs and then Luke Heyer singled in Tristan Pompey. WKU's centerfielder made an error on the play, bringing in Mahan. UK leads 4-0 with Heyer on second and Squires at the dish.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
5-0. Helped by two errors, but we helped force those errors through hitting the ball and running bases. Very good inning for UK.

Thompson retires the first two batters and then allows a single, but he picks him off first to end the frame. Top of the lineup coming up for UK in B2.

Turns out to be an easy inning for Thompson. Gets 2 quick outs, gives up a single, then picks off the runner. 5-0 Cats bottom of 2.

Carson hits a home run and then White follows it with a double down the left field line that could have been a triple had bullpen chairs not stopped the baseball.

Pompey must have heard me talking about him. lol A pair of hits today, this one a two run double.

Marcus Carson swells up for a solo BomB, followed by an E White double, Kottam, and Pompey get hits, Heyer with a 2 run BomB. 10-0 Cats.

Man... I was really hoping that Heady was turning this thing around, but his average is now at .194... not sure what to think about the guy.

Evan White was hitting .750 on the season... then he hit the scoreboard. .769

Man... I was really hoping that Heady was turning this thing around, but his average is now at .194... not sure what to think about the guy.
Right now the way everyone else is hitting, you can play him because of his glove work. But he needs to pick it up at the plate !

Right now the way everyone else is hitting, you can play him because of his glove work. But he needs to pick it up at the plate !

I just wanted to see him improve for his own sake. Guy came in pretty highly touted and has just struggled at the plate. Would like to see him at least have a decent year hitting.

I just wanted to see him improve for his own sake. Guy came in pretty highly touted and has just struggled at the plate. Would like to see him at least have a decent year hitting.
Yeah, especially him being a senior. He was going good for a 4-5 game stretch, then the bottom fell out.

Big win today. Huge series this weekend. Win this series, and I'll start to regain some optimism about SEC play.

So is the staff going with the mens softball offensive strategy by putting White in the 2 spot - get your best hitter the most abs possible? With the pop he has shown 3/4 would be traditional.

He is also a high contact guy so I understand why is valued at 2, but he is valuable anywhere.

What do you think?

I think you're right. He's valuable anywhere. I'd like to see him in the 3 spot but I have no arguments as a 2 hole hitter either.

On a side note, Luke Heyer absolutely crushed his home run yesterday.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
I actually like the idea of using White to protect another hitter. So if you want someone who has a pretty good eye (so he's not chasing bad pitches) to get more fastballs, then I'd put White behind him. Same thing with Reks. I think those two guys are going to hit regardless of where they are in the lineup. So I'd try to use them to get a couple more guys as many good pitches as possible.

I kind of liked our lineup yesterday. I might switch Reks and White, but other than that I am pretty happy with that lineup. I think that Carson is showing a great ability to get on base and to force the action on the basepaths. He has hit 3 doubles on the season, and even when he is not hitting doubles he is stealing bases. He is 3 of 6 and I think he'll only improve that average. I think Reks would be better next. I think he is more apt to hit some doubles and singles rather than have more home run power. So, I think typically he'd hit Carson in and then White would likely hit him in. Cottam is hitting well in the four hole, but hasn't really shown a ton of power. Still, I like him there as, if nothing else, almost a second leadoff man without the speed. I might like to see Mahan and Pompey switch, but to some degree I think Pompey, Mahan, and Heyer will only help one another get better pitches. All three of them can rake when they get the right pitch and opposing pitchers will have to be aware of that. It is hard to pitch carefully to three big time home run threats in a row.

I would probably continue a type of rotation with Cottam, Squires, Heyer, and Becker. Most the time I would probably like to see Cottam catching and Becker at the DH, but sometimes switching those out respectively to give Cottam's knees a break and have him DH while Squires is behind the plate. Heyer and Becker could also do some rotating at third.

We are running a ton this year and I love it. Last year we attempted 56 steals. This year we already have 23. I am terrible at math, but I believe if that average of about 2 and a half steals a game holds true we'll have 140 attempted steals on the season. LSU had about 137 attempts a year ago, so I love those numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT