ADVERTISEMENT

Why you're a UK fan

33 and Derek Anderson. Still have his autographed ball and a picture of him and me when I was 7. Ron Mercer is also in the pic

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I was born into it and knew a good thing when I saw it.

My first favorite player was Jim Master. Then Kenny Walker. Then Mash. Then DA. Then Jeff Sheppard. Then Rondo. Then John Wall. Then Aaron Harrison. Then Tyler Ulis. Jamal Murray. Malik Monk. Reed and Rob.

Reactions: RabbiShmuley
I'm 36 it was Tony Delk/Antoine Walker the way they bombed 3s was impressive the 96 bunch. Out of the two it was probably Delk he just played with intensity everytime he put on a uniform. I liked Hayes, Daniels, Rondo, Prince, Bogans, Wall, Miller, Liggins, Fitch, Hawkins, Washington Azubuike, Sheppard, Reeves and Oscar in my later years. Been a fan of basketball since I was little and I've lived in Kentucky my whole life. My dad choose to be a kentucky fan and the rest of his brothers/sisters were louisville fans. So he chose right and I continued the tradition. Not a big fan of the color red either. haha

If you arent born into it then you must have impeccable taste. Early 30s my favorite player will always be chuck hayes. In 6th grade i got taken out of school for a “doctors appointment” halfway to the car my dad said “son there isnt a doctors appointment were going to go watch chuck play” and we drove to indy to watch uk play eku first rd 7 rows up center court. I remember being able to hear the sneakers squeak. Ill always cherish that memory bc my dad passed while i was in high school.

I’m 38 and was also born into it. I was lucky enough to be introduced to UK basketball in childhood during the Pitino years. The first player I remember pretending to be in the driveway is Travis Ford. Still have his game used jersey framed today. He’s top 5 to me for this reason. My favorite player of all time is 00. His original town in about 45 minutes from mine, and as a young kid I got to interact with him at our high school
Gym before he lit us up for around 45 points. My uncle was the athletic director and I’ll never forget him saying come meet Tony Delk, we’re trying to keep him from going to Arkansas. This was in tenneseee.

Ever since then I loved the guy and then had the privilege of being with him at UK father son camps in the 90’s. Jeff comes close to clipping him on my #1 spot but I just it’s 00 no way around it.

People that weren’t born into it and weren’t fans originally, I just have trouble calling them BBN. I guess they still are, and I don’t say that to be rude or condescending, but if you didn’t see and can’t relate to the number 00, I just don’t think you understand Kentucky. I’m sure there are some older heads that would find that funny.

Ron Mercer and Tony delk were the first memories of ky basketball for me and my fav players on that that 96 team

I was born into it and knew a good thing when I saw it.

My first favorite player was Jim Master. Then Kenny Walker. Then Mash. Then DA. Then Jeff Sheppard. Then Rondo. Then John Wall. Then Aaron Harrison. Then Tyler Ulis. Jamal Murray. Malik Monk. Reed and Rob.

You know I always find it, I don’t know, interesting that every time there’s a thread like this, hardly anyone names AD in their top 3-5. I know he’s a OAD but so was gilchrist and a few others that I see people name. It’s really strange. I think it might have to do with his style of play.

1. 00
2. Sheppard
3. Derek Anderson
4. Rondo
5. Travis Fors

Hell he’s not even in my top 5 lol.

I am a uk fan because of family and they created the fake importance to all of it. I still live with it and have passed it down to my children.

• Haha
Reactions: BCD
38…My Dad raised me on UK bball….first favorite was Mashburn but my all time fav is Prince.

I am a uk fan because of family and they created the fake importance to all of it. I still live with it and have passed it down to my children.

Right on same here. My kids know the deal.

But I wouldn’t say it’s fake importance, more like life or death type sh.

Amirite? Amirite?

Also, if cocaine had a face….
darryl-strawberry-michael-zagaris.jpg

Reactions: kyboy1998
I was born into a family of UK fans (I was less than a year old when UK beat Duke in '78) and grew up watching hundreds of games with my grandfather before he passed away.

Favorite player: can't decide. I like Cousins a lot, and Mash. As a kid, I liked Chapman (first three-pointer in UK history). Stevenson, Prince, Kenny Walker, Wall...I could name 30 more.

I was born and raised in Eastern Kentucky so I had no choice about being a Kentucky fan. I've loved too many UK players to single out just one.

Reactions: cathouse
You know I always find it, I don’t know, interesting that every time there’s a thread like this, hardly anyone names AD in their top 3-5. I know he’s a OAD but so was gilchrist and a few others that I see people name. It’s really strange. I think it might have to do with his style of play.

1. 00
2. Sheppard
3. Derek Anderson
4. Rondo
5. Travis Fors

Bc he gets the nod as the best player to ever to play at uk. Having a personal connection to a player is a tad different. Also i was in my 20s when ad played. I feel like your favorite player is usually made at a young age and most of those ppl arent on rafters due to other social media

Last edited:
Reactions: RabbiShmuley

1. 00
2. Sheppard
3. Derek Anderson
4. Rondo
5. Travis Fors

I love AD, and probably not fair to leave him out. To be fair though, MKG was my favorite player on that team.

My favorite players tend to be guys who put the ball in the basket in bunches.

My overall point was that I really don’t have one favorite. We’ve had so many great players come through who were my favorites for a year or two.

75, born in Paintsville, why? You’re kidding right. Sitting in front of coal hearth with radio between me and my daddy. grandfather was a friend of Rupp so it really was, as Treny Noah said, it’s a no brainer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KFuqua
I'm 52. For me, it was Kyle Macy and then Jim Master, followed by the twin towers, Sam Bowie and Mel Turpin. I was Kyle Macy when I was shooting on my goal as a kid in the 80s. 😀
Same, basically. Except I’ll be 51 in July & would add Dirk Minniefield to Master, Turpin & Bowie. Also really liked Derrick Hord & Kenny Walker. But, Macy was my first favorite player, too. Pure shooters like him & Master have always had a special place in my heart.

But, I really didn’t have a choice & was indoctrinated into UK fandom by the time I started talking. And, dad taught me to hate UNC just as much as I love UK. So, I’ve despised them & that pansy ass shade of blue ever since I knew what basketball was. My parents raised me right, lol.

Also ill say this as a person born and raised in louisville it must really suck to be born on that side. 30 minutes in either direction and youd be a uk fan. I get why they hate us so much bc being born a ul fan must be terrible knowing you missed being a part of the greatest fan base ever.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’m 44 and have always been a UK fan when I got deep into it was the 90’s. Tony Delk is my all time favorite player! I really love any player that has suited up for UK and gave it their all! Of course the 96 team is my all time favorite team. To this point Pitino is my coach that I admired the most. He came in and got us from ashes and had us churning like a freight train when he left the program was on top of college basketball!

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Shy kid born in Jersey and raised in VA, I was adopted into BBN by my first girlfriend. She brought me to the LSU game in Feb ‘90 where I got to see Pitino’s first team beat Shaquille and Chris Jackson by a hair in a legendary barn burner. Before that I had always been kind of afraid of crowds, because I loved people but I was afraid of them and felt awkward around everyone. In those moments when the whole huge crowd was going crazy screaming and cheering those Cats to victory with one voice, I really did feel like a natural part of a crowd for the first time ever. It was literally life-changing for me. I have been a diehard fan ever since and have never missed at least trying to attend, watch, or at least listen to every game since.

My favorite player is Mash. And in the brief days of my fanhood before Mash it was Reggie Hanson.

Reactions: Jack2936
Was born to two hippies. Only child. They didn't get me into basketball, I started watching by accident when I was about 8 or 9. Earliest memories were probation team on tape delay.

Followed the '92 tournament. The Duke game is what made me fall in love with UK. Went to Pitino camp that summer, met Mashburn the following Spring. The rest is history.

Mash is by far my favorite player of all time. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in the back yard pretending to be the Monster Mash.

My father told me in 1965 that I did not have to be a UK fan but if I wasn't I would have to move out. I was 5. He was kidding. I think.

Ronnie Lyons, Dan Issel and Jimmy Dan Connor later I will be buried a Cat fan.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
I'm 34 and I can't really say exactly "when" I became a UK fan, but it genuinely feels as though I've always been a fan. As a kid, I recall watching Kentucky games with the family. They never missed a game and always cheered the team on. Even when I didn't understand the game or who the players were, I knew they were Kentucky and that was a good thing. From there, the rest is history. From watching games on tape delayed at 11:35 to sneaking into the media room in high school to watch us play in the NCAA tournament to eventually celebrating on state street when we won in 2012. I don't care what anyone tells me, this is the best fanbase in college basketball, no question!

Last edited:
Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
Born and raised in Lexington. Lafayette HS, UK afterward. Louie Dampier and Pat Riley initially, Dan Issel my all time favorite! Married a woman that grew up in my neighborhood.

My family was nominally UK fans
But for me it was when my Aunt was a tutor for the UK basketball team
She introduced me to a couple of players…somewhere there is a picture of 12 year old me standing on a chair between Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin at Godfather’s Pizza in Lexington

That was the beginning…

My grandmother taught me the importance of UK basketball. Not my favorite, but through Gimel Martinez, she taught me to cuss as well.

Not sure of a favorite player but Pitino’s Bombinos as a whole would get my vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT