ADVERTISEMENT

Who were referees at Uk-Ark game today

Sep 26, 2004
Whomever they were, they let the game get out of hand and too "handsy" early on. By the time the technicals started, it was way too late. It was a game of two halves, we got most of the calls in 1st half, Hawgs get everything in second. I have never seen more blatant shoves and hands on defense. Reminded me of the old Arky or Tennesee games of the 70's. Or Joe B's best teams, but with no self control from the players or common sense from the referees

The officiating was odd. On one hand they would let the players play on some possessions...and on some possessions if someone breathed on somebody it was a foul. Seemed to be no real consistency. Either call everything or dont call everything.

Some teams you have to be borderline literally ready to fight or you lose. Today was one of those and we didn't back down. Have to give the refs credit some, they didn't throw OT out and could have but they I guess took into account that Mitchell started it by pushing OT and also Smith coming up and getting OT face, I think it was good the way they handled it even though the TV guy kept griping about it forever. And they threw Davis out with two consecutive T's, don't see that often. They fouled Collins out and had four fouls on two or three of our other guys and they wasn't in near that bad of foul trouble as far as almost losing several guys.

Last edited:
I thought it was refreshing to let them play hard. Screw that touch crap every call.
Like that to a degree but the handchecking on our ball handlers got way out of control over a 10 minute stretch. To our guys credit though, they keep their composure. We did a lot of pushing off to get open away from the ball yesterday but had too as they were being wrapped up, especially reeves. Only got called for the one pushoff.

I was fine with them. Most other crews would have never allowed arkansas to have 5 fouls in the first 2 min. Some of these other guys wouldn't have T'd that Arky player up which sent him packing.

Musselman came from coaching tree that’s philosophy was dirty play on opposing players that causes fights and gets them ejected. His dad was coach of Minnesota Golden Gophers who were involved in NCAAs worst brawl in history. Dirty play and his motto "Losing is worse than death because you have to live with it" Google it 1972 Ohio State Minnesota brawl. Dirty philosophy doesn’t fall far from tree. Some people have forgotten but I saw it on national TV will never forget it.

I only saw the 2nd half, but they were pretty uneven. Most crews would have been influenced by the crowd and called Collins for a charge when he had nowhere to land. But they turned around and called Toppin for the charge in the final minute.

The push off that they called on Reeves was egregious. In real time it looked like a flop, and it wa even more blatant on replay.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
UK should not complain about the refs. They got breaks with Oscar. Most refs would have removed him from the game. Also, Oscar did walk, at least once not called.

As others have said, it was totally uneven. There was a stretch in the second half where every Arkansas drive to the rim resulted in free throws. It was maddening. Fortunately it didn’t cost us but I saw more bad calls/non calls yesterday than I have seen in a game all year.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Why is Cal the only coach that gets coaching box warnings? Yes he was out of the box. But nearly every coach is every single game.
Just goes to show he is one of the most hated coaches universally in the sport.

As others have said, it was totally uneven. There was a stretch in the second half where every Arkansas drive to the rim resulted in free throws. It was maddening. Fortunately it didn’t cost us but I saw more bad calls/non calls yesterday than I have seen in a game all year.

Those touchy fouls actually ended up helping. They were missing free throws and kept them from making any big offensive plays to get the fans roaring back to life.

Overall it was awful. They let it get out of hand then tightened up for a bit before they let it go back to full on brawl. They let the one guy just intentionally roll up on Oscar, almost ending his season, and the endless flopping and flailing that was rewarded almost every time, even when they went to the monitor and saw it was flopping

It’s a tough gig. Trying to start out letting physicality go more than not. It’s really how the game is played today. Basketball is a VERY physical game. Then in pressure games like this it gets out of hand. That said, the players are responsible for their own reaction to whatever happens. Allow your emotions to take over and you get tossed.

The worst call, for me, was the one late where the Arkansas player pulled Ware down. I only saw the excerpt on Youtube. The next shot in the excerpt was the Arkansas player shooting FTs, so maybe the FTs were from a different play. But a lazy ref who didn't see the play and called one because there had to be something is terrible.

Those refs have to be either ACC or Big 10 crew. Game was played physically like those conferences. I swear there was more hands on than a six dollar titty bar.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT