ADVERTISEMENT

Who else thinks we finally see the Dribble Drive at UK this year???

Sep 9, 2009
Kentucky
When Cal was first hired, all we heard was dribble drive this and dribble drive that, but never saw it on the court. Now, we have the personnel to resemble his Memphis teams, actually play some three guard lineups, with Poythress who can also drive, as a fourth. I don't think he'll do it all the time...I expect more traditional sets about 60% of the time, but I believe their will be stretches where we run the dribble drive and are just absolutely lethal.

We've seen it some. Personnel has dictated other sets, for the most part.

Also, the NBA game has moved to more Pick and Roll basketball. I think that's a big part of why Cal has incorporated more of that since the Brandon Knight team.

That being said, we have the personnel to run more DD next year.

another calipari marketing tool

This. I think part of the reason we constantly heard dribble drive this and dribble drive that when Cal first got hired is because that happened to be the marketing slogan Cal was going with at the time to try make his system appear more appealing to recruits/players. Similar to how we went through a period after that where all we constantly heard was "Players First" this and "Players First" that, this year it was Platoon this and Platoon that, etc.

Cal seem to do this every other year or so, he comes up with some new phrase, word or slogan to help brand his program and make it appear different, and then just beats.it.to.death. repeating it constantly at every opportunity over the ensuing year.

Last edited:
The DDMO is a real thing and Cal used to run a lot of it.

You guys are joking, right?

The DDMO is a real thing and Cal used to run a lot of it.

You guys are joking, right?
he never ran it UK like he did at Memphis, but yes, it is a real thing, and it works quite well with the correct personnel. I think lots of UK fans think it is a myth because a.) they never really knew what it was in the first place, and b.) Cal talked about it incessantly and then never implemented it. Created a lot of confusion amongst the fanbase

Personnel has dictated other sets, for the most part.

Agreed. Even the big guys on his Memphis team could handle the ball, but Calipari didn't continue to recruit guys like that. Maybe the Dribble Drive proved to be like the Air Raid offense: really effective until it wasn't. But Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray all have superior ball handling skills, so maybe we'll see elements of the Dribble Drive this season. It's fun to watch like one of those rotating tire displays that Elaine watched on Seinfeld.

I think lots of UK fans think it is a myth because a.) they never really knew what it was in the first place, and b.) Cal talked about it incessantly and then never implemented it. Created a lot of confusion amongst the fanbase

This is a good analysis. The offense that Cal used at Memphis has never truly been used here, he modified it his very first season here in order to get our big guys (mostly Demarcus Cousins) more touches in the post, and then never really went back to it. But the problem was right after was hired the prior spring/summer he used the words dribble drive constantly, which left a lot of our fans kinda confused when that wasn't really what they were seeing on the floor.

Last edited:
The Dribble-Drive shouldn't be confused with "running", it's not full-court. Cal has always been a half-court coach (even with Dribble-Drive) - Cal's MO has always been defense and good shots - basic.

il_570xN.416880473_lzb0.jpg

As mentioned before, our personnel dictates what Cal does offensively.

Also, the opposing defense dictates what the offense does. When teams take away the dribble penetration with zones, it's hard to run the DDMO.

This year we should see it quite a bit, if the defenses allow us to use it. The personnel Cal has is almost perfect for the DDMO.

Don't take this wrong, but I think 90% of the fans wouldn't recognize it if we ran it anyway.

When Cal was first hired, all we heard was dribble drive this and dribble drive that, but never saw it on the court. Now, we have the personnel to resemble his Memphis teams, actually play some three guard lineups, with Poythress who can also drive, as a fourth. I don't think he'll do it all the time...I expect more traditional sets about 60% of the time, but I believe their will be stretches where we run the dribble drive and are just absolutely lethal.

I know everyone thinks that you can teach a zone defense and the DDO overnight to a group of mainly true freshmen but you can't. Trying to get your main offensive sets and a simple man to man defense is hard enough. I would love to see us do some of those things but the amount of time needed is just not there.

I know everyone thinks that you can teach a zone defense and the DDO overnight to a group of mainly true freshmen but you can't. Trying to get your main offensive sets and a simple man to man defense is hard enough. I would love to see us do some of those things but the amount of time needed is just not there.

If you are going to go the one and done route you can not use inexperience as an excuse. The fact that teams play so much zone against UK is the reason that Calipari has gotten away from the DDMO. That and his some what lack of great outside shooting on some of his teams. You must be able to hit the kick out three if they take away the drive by zoning if the DDMO is to work.

Reactions: shutzhund
If you are going to go the one and done route you can not use inexperience as an excuse. The fact that teams play so much zone against UK is the reason that Calipari has gotten away from the DDMO. That and his some what lack of great outside shooting on some of his teams. You must be able to hit the kick out three if they take away the drive by zoning if the DDMO is to work.

What does the route thing have to do with it? I take it you don't want the best players? If you do, it takes more experience to perfect the DDO, so that is why it doesn't happen.

I hope they run the other teams out of the gym this year, they got the horses for it, it's gonna be fun to watch:popcorn:

I wasn't referencing the Dribble Drive.
Gotcha ya - A lot of folks, when Cal arrived, associated Cal/DDMO with full-court - some folks even think "up-tempo" means full court. I remember folks wanting Cal and not Izzo because "Izzo's offense is boring" - Cal's Memphis team average 75ppg and Izzo's around 73ppg.

What does the route thing have to do with it? I take it you don't want the best players? If you do, it takes more experience to perfect the DDO, so that is why it doesn't happen.

Number one: Where in that post did you come up with that I do not want the best players at UK every year?

Number two: I disagree that the DDMO is an offense that requires a lot of experience. IMO it is an offense that Calipari created that he believes he can run with the inexperienced athletic one and done type players he brings to UK each recruiting period. It is an offense based more on individual athletic type play than it is on team play. It is an offense predicated on players making one on one moves. It is an offense based on trying to out athlete the opposing team. It is also an offense that Calipari is certain will appeal to the athletic type players he wants to recruit.

It is also an offense has some flaws especially against teams that just zone it and make you beat them from outside. The zones are really successful against this offense unless you have consistent outside shooting which often isn't the case when you recruit a lot of extremely athletic players that have always been able to get to the rim and somewhat neglected developing their outside shooting.

To run it right, you ideally need 4 guys on the floor who are a threat to both knock down a jumper and drive to the basket.

With our projected starting 5, Poythress could be a weak link trying to run DDMO. If he's able to knock down that corner three with any consistency, that could change.

Willis works in DD sets, theoretically. Lee at the 5 is kind of perfect for DD.

We definitely have the personnel to run it, especially if/when we go small ball. Depends on how much of it Cal wants to implement.

Number one: Where in that post did you come up with that I do not want the best players at UK every year?

Number two: I disagree that the DDMO is an offense that requires a lot of experience. IMO it is an offense that Calipari created that he believes he can run with the inexperienced athletic one and done type players he brings to UK each recruiting period. It is an offense based more on individual athletic type play than it is on team play. It is an offense predicated on players making one on one moves. It is an offense based on trying to out athlete the opposing team. It is also an offense that Calipari is certain will appeal to the athletic type players he wants to recruit.

It is also an offense has some flaws especially against teams that just zone it and make you beat them from outside. The zones are really successful against this offense unless you have consistent outside shooting which often isn't the case when you recruit a lot of extremely athletic players that have always been able to get to the rim and somewhat neglected developing their outside shooting.

Show me a year in Cal's career where he ran the DDMO with at least three true freshmen starting? I don't believe you can, and he has never done it here. Cal has said before that it takes time for a team to mold into a true DDMO. With all of the inexperience he has had here you would have thought that he would have ran with it.

Show me a year in Cal's career where he ran the DDMO with at least three true freshmen starting? I don't believe you can, and he has never done it here. Cal has said before that it takes time for a team to mold into a true DDMO. With all of the inexperience he has had here you would have thought that he would have ran with it.

Then what you really are saying is that Cal just doesn't run the DDMO because he almost always has three Freshman one and dones on the floor.

I would suggest that he ran a lot of DDMO the first year he was at UK and he almost always had at least three true Freshmen one and dones on the floor that season.

IMO the reason that Calipari has not ran much DDMO offense is because it is ineffective against zones and UK has gotten a steady diet of zones during Caliparis time at UK. Teams zone to take away the drive to the basket and make UK beat them with outside shooting and the athletic players that Cal recruits have not always been consistent outside shooters.

Reactions: Teachable Moe
Then what you really are saying is that Cal just doesn't run the DDMO because he almost always has three Freshman one and dones on the floor.

I would suggest that he ran a lot of DDMO the first year he was at UK and he almost always had at least three true Freshmen one and dones on the floor that season.

IMO the reason that Calipari has not ran much DDMO offense is because it is ineffective against zones and UK has gotten a steady diet of zones during Caliparis time at UK. Teams zone to take away the drive to the basket and make UK beat them with outside shooting and the athletic players that Cal recruits have not always been consistent outside shooters.

Another thing is that the big man playing ball opposite is a staple of DDMO. Starting with Cousins, Cal has had some dominant big men who he wanted to utilize in a traditional way.

Now I could definitely see us playing DD with Lee at the 5. You don't want to post him up, and he's perfect to crash from the weak side.

that's why leaving Labissiere out on the perimeter for shots and using Poythress in the Joey Dorsey role around the rim would work better IMO. You're probably not gonna want Labissiere driving to the basket or having to handle the ball any substantial amount of time, but he's probably a better shooter than Poythress.

Yeah, good point. I was actually going to say that with foul trouble I could see a small ball lineup with Poy at the 5 in a DD set. But I guess Skal could roam out there too. Maybe.

Especially the part about the zone. Zone defenses are extremely easy to and run when being run badly is an option. To run a zone defense correctly you really have to commit to it. Cal doesn't run zone so he's not committed to it. Throwing it out there from time to time when you don't run it well is a bad idea. Zones only work if they are well executed.

I watched his Memphis teams a lot. Was in Maui when he thumped Tubby and his offense was a marvel to watch. So in my opinion we haven't seen that complete offense while he has been here. And yeah I think inexperience is the reason. Again it's just my take.

I think that personnel more than experience is the issue.

Rose ran it perfectly in one year at Memphis.

As was mentioned, with guys like Cousins, Randle, and KAT it just doesn't work very well.

To be fair, I think it's a bit of both. We haven't had the right personnel, but we also haven't had players stick around long enough to fully implement the intricacies of the DD.

Yes, D-Rose did it in a year. But the rest of that team was experienced.

Cal seem to do this every other year or so, he comes up with some new phrase, word or slogan to help brand his program and make it appear different, and then just beats.it.to.death. repeating it constantly at every opportunity over the ensuing year.

Our progam.

Inexperience contributes to why we haven't ran it, but simply not having the personnel is a big reason. Cal had Derrick Rose running it as a true freshman, despite his poor free throw shooting (the DDMO draws a lot of fouls on the defense).

Personally, I think we have the personnel to emulate the 2012 team just as effectively. Skal and AD are very similar at the same point, I think Poythress can assume a Terrence Jones type role. Murray or Matthews could be effective 3 men for us (Murray scores well, passes well, rebounds well, gives us another ball handler and free throw shooter, and Matthews passes well, slashes well, finishes at the rim very well, rebounds well, and defends well).
Our backcourt should be much, much better than the 2012 backcourt. I think this team has a ton of potential to be very good.

This is why Cal has been preaching "positionless" player the past few weeks. At Memphis and throughout his career he has done this. It wasn't till he got to UK that he started getting these bigs. But in the same breath, is nerlens, Davis, Kat, boogie, Lee, skal true centers.....I think not. Look back all the way to camby. Cals,best team at Memphis used Dorsey , CD-R, tyreke, taggert, dozier all in different roles that would be criticized. Ow by our fanbase. It happens every year. We try to say a certain player is a 4 and not a 3. Or he is naturally a 5 playing the 4. Or we don't have a true wing order is playing the 2. Blah blah blah. Look at the NBA the past few years....small ball, no true centers besides a few players, lebron point forward in playoffs, Davis now the highest paid player, ect. It doesn't matter but what you can do on the court.

This is why Cal has been preaching "positionless" player the past few weeks. At Memphis and throughout his career he has done this. It wasn't till he got to UK that he started getting these bigs. But in the same breath, is nerlens, Davis, Kat, boogie, Lee, skal true centers.....I think not. Look back all the way to camby. Cals,best team at Memphis used Dorsey , CD-R, tyreke, taggert, dozier all in different roles that would be criticized. Ow by our fanbase. It happens every year. We try to say a certain player is a 4 and not a 3. Or he is naturally a 5 playing the 4. Or we don't have a true wing order is playing the 2. Blah blah blah. Look at the NBA the past few years....small ball, no true centers besides a few players, lebron point forward in playoffs, Davis now the highest paid player, ect. It doesn't matter but what you can do on the court.

I never imagined Uk would turn into Big U. That seemed to be Cals issue at Memphis.

Tyreke was not a true pg. but after a few games ,Cal realized it was the best way to get the offense going through him driving. He will " tweak" with lineups but I honestly think this team will be fun to watch for fans. The sad thing is now people are saying we don't have the bigs. Noting damn well 7 years ago we would all be dancing with the likes of just skal the overall number one player and a junior Lee that led the nation in blocks and rebounds in high school. Even if he was a freshman. Some are never satisfied We probably get the wood chopper and now maybe the Greek in December Hell least season we went undefeated during the regular season and people griped about poythress playing the 3 even though he shut his player down on offense. And when he went down everyone complained that Booker and Aaron were playing out of position.. IT WORKED FOR 38 straight games folks. Quit asking for a 2-3 zone and full court press, to put poythress at the four and why skal is not shooting more threes. Cal will put us in the best position to win regardless while looking out for his players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT