ADVERTISEMENT

When does Calipari's contract expire ?

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
Sorry for this post. I should know the answer to this question, but ... will someone please tell me when Calipari's current contract expires.

Thanks. Go 'Cats !

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
His option to walk away for I believe $1M per year is at end of this season. Based off recruiting for next year and beyond I think it is doubtful he takes it. Only way I could see it is if we won title this year and he wanted to go out like that....or I guess if we fell flat on our face again....the heat would be intense.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm optimistic. Cal has made the necessary changes.

1. He canned Justus and Barbee and added Chin and Antigua.

2. He brought in Welch for offensive fluidity. It's clearly improved.

3. Recruiting is up. We finally landed an elite small forward (Edwards), the top big man in high school (Quaintance) and it appears we're on the verge of landing A.J. Dybansta, the consensus #1 player in the junior class. We're also in incredible shape with Darryn Peterson, Caleb Wilson, Jeremiah Fears, Maleek Thomas, Jasper Johnson, and the #1 sophomore, Tyran Stokes.

4. He is bringing guys like Ulis back to the program, and it's helping. Our guard play is better than it's been in a half-decade. Rondo might be joining the bench in 2024.

Everything we wanted is unfolding. If this team makes it to the Final Four and Cal couples that with commitments from Peterson (reclass for '24) and Dybansta ('25), I think it becomes a no-brainer that UK rides it out with Calipari through 2028.

3. Recruiting is up. We finally landed an elite small forward (Edwards), the top big man in high school (Quaintance) and it appears we're on the verge of landing A.J. Dybansta, the consensus #1 player in the junior class. We're also in incredible shape with Darryn Peterson, Caleb Wilson, Jeremiah Fears, Maleek Thomas, Jasper Johnson, and the #1 sophomore, Tyran Stokes.

4. He is bringing guys like Ulis back to the program, and it's helping. Our guard play is better than it's been in a half-decade. Rondo might be joining the bench in 2024.

Everything we wanted is unfolding. If this team makes it to the Final Four and Cal couples that with commitments from Peterson (reclass for '24) and Dybansta ('25), I think it becomes a no-brainer that UK rides it out with Calipari through 2028.
All well and good but, he still has to coach the team. He's not a good in-game coach and his decision making is highly suspect. There aren't many Marshall's and Stonehill's left on the schedule. Revisit this subject in late February.

Officially the "lifetime" contract is through the 2028-2029 season.

However, he has an out in his contract where he can step down after the 2025-2026 season and become assistant/advisor to the AD.

Interestingly enough, Barnhart has a similar out in his contract that allows him to step down July 1, 2026, where he'd then become assistant/advisor to the university president.

Basically meaning in 2026 we could have Barnhart "retire" and become an assistant/advisor to Eli Capilouto, DeWayne Peevy gets announced the new AD, and Cal "retires" and becomes assistant/advisor to him and helps transition to the post-Calipari era of basketball.

Cal’s contact is never an issue. He’ll be here as long as he wants to coach.

I think he will coach about 5 more years.

The more I think about it the more I think that's about right. Cal will be 65 in Feb. I've always thought he would retire around 70.
Wow. 5 more years, way to go out on a ledge there, sport, considering Cal's contract has 5 years left on it.

All well and good but, he still has to coach the team. He's not a good in-game coach and his decision making is highly suspect. There aren't many Marshall's and Stonehill's left on the schedule. Revisit this subject in late February.
Plus I want to see him use Welch’s high-power offense when he has a big man or two back and doesn’t absolutely HAVE to use Welch’s high-power offense. Plus I want to see him prove he can teach his guys to play against a legit team zoning even if he does keep refusing to shake things up with his own zone occasionally and actually make another coach work. I want to believe. I’m just not as dumb as I used to be.

Plus I want to see him use Welch’s high-power offense when he has a big man or two back and doesn’t absolutely HAVE to use Welch’s high-power offense. Plus I want to see him prove he can teach his guys to play against a legit team zoning even if he does keep refusing to shake things up with his own zone occasionally and actually make another coach work. I want to believe. I’m just not as dumb as I used to be.

Just pop a couple of these before the game...😂

Last edited:

What did you do with Son_Of_Saul? Is he decaying in a closet somewhere?

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

He needs to win a title for me to trust him again

• Haha
Reactions: Cal-4-Three
His option to walk away for I believe $1M per year is at end of this season. Based off recruiting for next year and beyond I think it is doubtful he takes it. Only way I could see it is if we won title this year and he wanted to go out like that....or I guess if we fell flat on our face again....the heat would be intense.
What is the contract duration of the $1M per year ? TIA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT